Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am starting to get the mod bug again, but I am pretty happy with where the Shelby is, so I am considering modding my truck. I am not sure what I want to do though - other than increase general awesomeness and badassery (and make it feel more unique/special when driving).

The truck is a 2016 F-150 Supercrew XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost 4x4 (color is blue jeans). It's main duties are a winter daily driver, a people mover (family vacay vehicle), and a thing mover (robotics club stuff, home improvement materials, dump runs, etc.)

I know I want to upgrade the infotainment system to something with Android Auto, but am not sure beyond that. I know I don't want a lift as I don't really go off-road and that would hurt the things I do use it for.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,684 Posts
Post a pic or two of your truck Tom.

Generally wheels/tires, window tint, bed liner, bed cover, bumpers & winch are good truck mods.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, had to edit the pictures as they were too large to upload at first.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post a pic or two of your truck Tom.

Generally wheels/tires, window tint, bed liner, bed cover, bumpers & winch are good truck mods.
Thanks Goose,

Pics uploaded now. I do have a bad mat (Ford official) and cheap tonneau cover (I need a covered bed a lot).

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,684 Posts
Thanks Goose,

Pics uploaded now. I do have a bad mat (Ford official) and cheap tonneau cover (I need a covered bed a lot).
There is a lot of chrome on that sexy truck... you NEED chrome wheels!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a lot of chrome on that sexy truck... you NEED chrome wheels!
It doesn't show up the best in those pictures, but those are chrome wheels (not sure why they look more like brushed aluminum here - must be the lighting)

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Definitely a tune, must have on any FI vehicle... I've tried a lot of tonneau covers over the years and currently using the Truxedo LoPro and it is great, recommend buying 2 extra support brackets to clamp right in the back where you lock the cover in, prevents sagging. I'm sure they have a few upgraded models out now. My other vote is air-ride if you're letting me spend all your money :ROFLMAO:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,684 Posts
My truck mods have been a trailer brake controller and this:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You can do a level kit to bring the front up. Blistein makes a popular kit for front level and rear replacement (better ride). Upgrade to a 275 or 285 Nitto TerraGrappler. Aggressive look without the need for lift.

LineX the bed

Husky x-Act front and full coverage rear mats. Way better than the past Weathertech I had.

Tonneau cover. Soooo many options. I have a soft two-fold from Amazon. Tyger brand.

Locking receiver hitch pin with a hitch cover of your choice.

Trailer brake if needed.

Front window tint to match rear privacy.

Weathertech no drill mud flaps

I can spend your money all day long!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely a tune, must have on any FI vehicle... I've tried a lot of tonneau covers over the years and currently using the Truxedo LoPro and it is great, recommend buying 2 extra support brackets to clamp right in the back where you lock the cover in, prevents sagging. I'm sure they have a few upgraded models out now. My other vote is air-ride if you're letting me spend all your money :ROFLMAO:
Any suggestions on the tune company?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can do a level kit to bring the front up. Blistein makes a popular kit for front level and rear replacement (better ride). Upgrade to a 275 or 285 Nitto TerraGrappler. Aggressive look without the need for lift.

LineX the bed

Husky x-Act front and full coverage rear mats. Way better than the past Weathertech I had.

Tonneau cover. Soooo many options. I have a soft two-fold from Amazon. Tyger brand.

Locking receiver hitch pin with a hitch cover of your choice.

Trailer brake if needed.

Front window tint to match rear privacy.

Weathertech no drill mud flaps

I can spend your money all day long!
I went with Lloyd's rubber series, color matched to the truck for the mats. Very happy with them!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
2,975 Posts
I had these before the truck got delivered, may not bother everyone. Ford for some reason doesn't think like other mfg.'s ??

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
So the wheel choice isn't my favorite, but if you're not taking it offroad, make it easier to get into and load stuff into.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the wheel choice isn't my favorite, but if you're not taking it offroad, make it easier to get into and load stuff into.

I had been thinking of potentially using a lowering kit (providing it didn't destroy ride quality). Should improve MPG as well if done right.

Any suggestions (I am a bit clueless on the truck side of things)?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Wish I could help but the only truck work I've done in the past has been lifting them.

Back in the day I know Belltech was the go to for drop spindles and leaf spring relocation kits. I'm sure they're still making good stuff today.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
Any suggestions on the tune company?
I would just use the SCT canned tune. You'd be amazed at how good it is. Brett Lindquist has done a lot of work on Ecoboosts and wrote the tune for SCT. He recommends anyone wanting a tune to try that first over custom tuning, unless you've got substantial mods to the engine.

I had been thinking of potentially using a lowering kit (providing it didn't destroy ride quality). Should improve MPG as well if done right.

Just remove the rear block between the spring and the axle. It should level out the truck. You can do this on jack stands. Here's mine.

I will put the rear block in when I install the 2" Icon struts, along with 33" tires. The stock tires are about done. I also removed that big dumb ass looking chin spoiler.

A big visual improvement would be the electric side steps over the stock fixed running boards. Amp Research makes these and look very much like the optional stock side steps.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,684 Posts

Consider calling American Muscle. We obviously all know them as a Mustang parts supplier, but they also have truck mod parts:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I would just use the SCT canned tune. You'd be amazed at how good it is. Brett Lindquist has done a lot of work on Ecoboosts and wrote the tune for SCT. He recommends anyone wanting a tune to try that first over custom tuning, unless you've got substantial mods to the engine.

Just remove the rear block between the spring and the axle. It should level out the truck. You can do this on jack stands. Here's mine.

View attachment 192892

I will put the rear block in when I install the 2" Icon struts, along with 33" tires. The stock tires are about done. I also removed that big dumb ass looking chin spoiler.

A big visual improvement would be the electric side steps over the stock fixed running boards. Amp Research makes these and look very much like the optional stock side steps.
I'd second the SCT tune. A very trusted source of mine backed up Brett's work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts