Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing various threads in my search for a four post lift, I decided to go with a direct Lift pro park 9 plus( @Norton and @fletchffletch ). I had ruled out the BendPak because I did not want to deal with compressed air needs. Then I noticed direct Lift’s main office is 19 miles south of me in Madison Indiana. I think awesome, not so much. You can no longer order directly through direct lifts, It has to be done through one of their suppliers/distributors. The closest direct Lift dealer to me is in Michigan. They want $600 to ship me the unit. No thank you. Direct Lift says I cannot pick it up at their main office in Madison Indiana and I must go through their dealer in Michigan. I believe they just lost a sale.
I was going with the pro Park 9 plus model for the 9000 pound rating and longer ramps to get my diesel truck up on it when I need to. I went with four post lift because it looks like I’m gonna be storing my son‘s Mustang for quite a while.
Any other Lift manufacture recommendations? I would love to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,260 Posts
My boss insists Backyard Buddy is the best 4 post. Has 6 or 7 of them and uses a Bendpak 2 post for working on his cars. No personal experience, just passing along an option Ron. Hope one day to have one of each myself.

Reactions: Rjstevens

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,786 Posts
After reviewing various threads in my search for a four post lift, I decided to go with a direct Lift pro park 9 plus( @Norton and @fletchffletch ). I had ruled out the BendPak because I did not want to deal with compressed air needs. Then I noticed direct Lift’s main office is 19 miles south of me in Madison Indiana. I think awesome, not so much. You can no longer order directly through direct lifts, It has to be done through one of their suppliers/distributors. The closest direct Lift dealer to me is in Michigan. They want $600 to ship me the unit. No thank you. Direct Lift says I cannot pick it up at their main office in Madison Indiana and I must go through their dealer in Michigan. I believe they just lost a sale.
I was going with the pro Park 9 plus model for the 9000 pound rating and longer ramps to get my diesel truck up on it when I need to. I went with four post lift because it looks like I’m gonna be storing my son‘s Mustang for quite a while.
Any other Lift manufacture recommendations? I would love to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance.
That stinks! I understand your disappointment. Depending on whether you plan to install yourself and what your other options are, that cost MIGHT not be too bad. My closest Direct-Lift distributor is in Denver from which combined delivery and install cost was $750.

FWIW, other 4-post models I considered were Challenger, Quality, and Bendpak. All were ALI-certified, but they cost significantly more than Direct-Lift, included fewer accessories, and required 220V. (Obviously, that may have changed over the past few years.) Good luck!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,320 Posts
I wouldn’t rule specific lifts out due to requiring compressed air to release the locks. I was concerned about this requirement too before buying my Bendpak lifts. It turns out mostly to be a non-event. You can tackle it a couple different ways. I went with a big-ass compressor with lines. I’ve also seen installations where a very small compressor was mounted to the lift itself and fired up prior to lowering the lift. Any air compressor will do the trick.

Reactions: Towerman30

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,895 Posts
Ron,

Just a thought here. See if you have an experienced lift installer in your area, and talk to them about installing the Direct Lift. We're not talking rocket science here. Biggest thing is making sure the concrete floor meets spec, and then have the ability to set anchors and read instructions. Then talk with the dealer in MI, and tell them you have an experienced installer and would like them to drop ship the lift to your location from the mfr. If they won't see the light, your last option would be to honestly let them know a sale hangs in the balance. Not suggesting any attitude (not that you would), but I have 8 years of experience as a gov't contractor's purchasing mgr after I retired from the CG. I made it my policy to treat everyone like I'd want to be treated, and it was amazing how many CEO's, business owners, and others appreciated honest and frank discussions. No bs goes a long way.

If they won't play and be reasonable, I guess you'll have to shop for another brand or pay their price.
Mike

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron,

Just a thought here. See if you have an experienced lift installer in your area, and talk to them about installing the Direct Lift. We're not talking rocket science here. Biggest thing is making sure the concrete floor meets spec, and then have the ability to set anchors and read instructions. Then talk with the dealer in MI, and tell them you have an experienced installer and would like them to drop ship the lift to your location from the mfr. If they won't see the light, your last option would be to honestly let them know a sale hangs in the balance. Not suggesting any attitude (not that you would), but I have 8 years of experience as a gov't contractor's purchasing mgr after I retired from the CG. I made it my policy to treat everyone like I'd want to be treated, and it was amazing how many CEO's, business owners, and others appreciated honest and frank discussions. No bs goes a long way.

If they won't play and be reasonable, I guess you'll have to shop for another brand or pay their price.
Mike
That’s a good thought Mike. Thank you. I know my concrete floor is able to handle it because I just poured it this past fall. Minimum 5 inches throughout, where the lift would sit there is 6 inches of concrete 4000 PSI with fiber in it. However, the four post lift does not need to be anchored. As a matter of fact, the nice thing about the one I’m looking at, is that it has casters(when needed) and can be moved around at will.
I also had the floor epoxied.
9ED33CA6-980F-4168-B3BD-59586935B88E.jpeg
970B3F26-3995-43BB-B5CE-EEC0BD529E78.png

Off-topic, but I wish I could send you the video of this buck. Christmas night on my property.
50A353C0-D465-4C88-8D78-C183A33E70B7.png
F5CEACC4-E74B-4516-902E-8BF003072CE5.png
661412E0-E191-490B-9A4C-37492DB67EB9.png

·
Registered
2020 GT500 delivered 10/15/20, 2015 50th GT Conv.,39 Caddy Cp, 67 Caddy conv, 67 Vette roadster.
206 Posts
Ron,

Mike
I love my Benpak four post lift. I'm going to be buying another one for our new garage in the Keys.
Mine is a model: HW9XW and fits our F250 long bed P/U, and it's high enough to park another F250 below.
Also we bought the rolling jack that can lift either end with air over hydraulic. You can buy two jacks if you want all four off the ramps. If you buy it from Northern Tool, they ship it free and tax free to some states. Right now they are $3910.00 and the bridge jack model RBJ 4500 is $1565.00 with free shipping.
We have a 5hp air compressor plumbed to many parts of the garage so air was not an issue.
I wish they were built in the U.S.A..... Soon we will be dependent on China again.
Lou

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
Ron, at the time I was looking at the Direct Lift, I was also looking at the Bendpak GP-9F, but at the time, the Bendpak was not ALI certified. It was a new offering that they were in the process of getting certified. I actually got on the wait list for one with them but I got tired of waiting so I went with the Direct Lift.

Anyway, I just checked their website (link below) and it looks like it is now ALI certified. It is a "package deal" like the Direct Lift is, i.e. ramps, casters, drip trays, etc.. And I believe (double check me on that) that you do not need compressed air to operate it.

They have two sizes of the model. Here are the links.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That stinks! I understand your disappointment. Depending on whether you plan to install yourself and what your other options are, that cost MIGHT not be too bad. My closest Direct-Lift distributor is in Denver from which combined delivery and install cost was $750.

FWIW, other 4-post models I considered were Challenger, Quality, and Bendpak. All were ALI-certified, but they cost significantly more than Direct-Lift, included fewer accessories, and required 220V. (Obviously, that may have changed over the past few years.) Good luck!
An additional thought that occurred to me is for you to check with DCI Direct-Lift. I talked to their rep at SEMA and Barrett-Jackson when I was shopping. He was very friendly and helpful. I realize they're further away from you, but he implied an ability to cost-effectively ship anywhere in the country. (We didn't get into details, so I don't know exactly what that means.)

Ron, at the time I was looking at the Direct Lift, I was also looking at the Bendpak GP-9F, but at the time, the Bendpak was not ALI certified. It was a new offering that they were in the process of getting certified. I actually got on the wait list for one with them but I got tired of waiting so I went with the Direct Lift.

Anyway, I just checked their website (link below) and it looks like it is now ALI certified. It is a "package deal" like the Direct Lift is, i.e. ramps, casters, drip trays, etc.. And I believe (double check me on that) that you do not need compressed air to operate it.

They have two sizes of the model. Here are the links.

Nice! It's about time they offered something to compete more directly with Direct-Lift.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
@Rjstevens is correct. Four post lifts do not need to be anchored down. They also don’t need nearly as thick of a slab as a 2 post lift does. Neither of my 4-posters are anchored. I put rubber grip mat under each of the 4 posts (to protect the floor and also to prevent sliding when driving onto). If the lift seems a little “wiggly” when empty, once a vehicle’s weight is on it, it is rock solid! Of course 2-posts lifts need a thick slab and it needs to be anchored.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have two Direct Lift and found them same as some other lifts. In fact the instructions contained the sentence "thank you for purchasing your Eagle Lift". I did look at Advantage lift at Barrett Jackson last year and Thought it looked better than the Direct Lift.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,895 Posts
That’s a good thought Mike. Thank you. I know my concrete floor is able to handle it because I just poured it this past fall. Minimum 5 inches throughout, where the lift would sit there is 6 inches of concrete 4000 PSI with fiber in it. However, the four post lift does not need to be anchored. As a matter of fact, the nice thing about the one I’m looking at, is that it has casters(when needed) and can be moved around at will.
I also had the floor epoxied.
View attachment 209677 View attachment 209678
Off-topic, but I wish I could send you the video of this buck. Christmas night on my property.
View attachment 209679 View attachment 209680 View attachment 209681
That’s a great looking buck Ron! Let me know if he becomes too much of a nuisance! 🙂

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have two Direct Lift and found them same as some other lifts. In fact the instructions contained the sentence "thank you for purchasing your Eagle Lift". I did look at Advantage lift at Barrett Jackson last year and Thought it looked better than the Direct Lift.
I looked at Eagle and Advantage too. They both offered good specs and comparable accessory packages. IIRC, however, neither was ALI-certified, which was a deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
863 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 Performance Blue
205 Posts
Hi Ron - I had the exact same experience with Direct Lift. Thought it would be easy since they are in Indiana... not so much. They lost my business after a similar phone call.

I ended up just getting an Atlas lift through a local guy, which made it much cheaper/easier since there was no shipping involved. It’s not the fanciest, but it runs on 110 and doesn’t need an air compressor. Also came with casters, drip trays, jack tray, etc. Best of luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ron - I had the exact same experience with Direct Lift. Thought it would be easy since they are in Indiana... not so much. They lost my business after a similar phone call.

I ended up just getting an Atlas lift through a local guy, which made it much cheaper/easier since there was no shipping involved. It’s not the fanciest, but it runs on 110 and doesn’t need an air compressor. Also came with casters, drip trays, jack tray, etc. Best of luck with your search!
Thanks Jason. I am still weighing options, I am looking at an atlas Lift’s that is ALI certified. The company I’m looking at is Greg Smith equipment. I have not reached out to them yet, who did you end up using?

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 Performance Blue
205 Posts
Thanks Jason. I am still weighing options, I am looking at an atlas Lift’s that is ALI certified. The company I’m looking at is Greg Smith equipment. I have not reached out to them yet, who did you end up using?
I ended up going through Ron England, who just runs his own small business (England Equipment Services Inc., 317-862-7917). I can’t remember who he buys through, but he was able to get pretty much any Atlas lift.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone for all your replies! I was able to end up working it out with the manufacturer of direct lift. The last time I talked to the director of field sales I asked him why I could not by the direct lift from the supplier I was referred to in Indianapolis. He said Even though they manufacture the direct lift, forward lift, and rotary lift, it would be like trying to buy a Chevy on a Ford dealership lot. While I did not mention that is not an apples to apples comparison, it would be more like Ford telling me I could not buy a Fusion on their lot because they only sold mustangs. Either way, at the end of his last response he said if I had any further questions he gave me the email to the regional manager. I contacted the regional manager and spoke with him. To make a long story short, he has worked it out where I can buy the forward lift EFP9 (identical to the direct lift pp9plus, just supposedly made a little stronger)
from the dealer in Indianapolis. While the forward lift is normally about $500 more then the direct Lift, and the equivalent pro jack 4500 that forward has is normally $300 more, The regional manager spoke with the dealer in Indianapolis and they were able to work out a price that was only $250 more for The forward lift and pro jack combined and I don’t pay shipping.:)
I appreciate the good faith of the regional manager and I am very happy it has been resolved.
Thanks again for all your responses as I was actively looking and weighing options.

Ron

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Thank you everyone for all your replies! I was able to end up working it out with the manufacturer of direct lift. The last time I talked to the director of field sales I asked him why I could not by the direct lift from the supplier I was referred to in Indianapolis. He said Even though they manufacture the direct lift, forward lift, and rotary lift, it would be like trying to buy a Chevy on a Ford dealership lot. While I did not mention that is not an apples to apples comparison, it would be more like Ford telling me I could not buy a Fusion on their lot because they only sold mustangs. Either way, at the end of his last response he said if I had any further questions he gave me the email to the regional manager. I contacted the regional manager and spoke with him. To make a long story short, he has worked it out where I can buy the forward lift EFP9 (identical to the direct lift pp9plus, just supposedly made a little stronger)
from the dealer in Indianapolis. While the forward lift is normally about $500 more then the direct Lift, and the equivalent pro jack 4500 that forward has is normally $300 more, The regional manager spoke with the dealer in Indianapolis and they were able to work out a price that was only $250 more for The forward lift and pro jack combined and I don’t pay shipping.:)
I appreciate the good faith of the regional manager and I am very happy it has been resolved.
Thanks again for all your responses as I was actively looking and weighing options.

Ron
Wooooo Hooo! You are going to love having a lift Ron!

If you don’t have something like this, I suggest getting one. I got 2 of these. One for oil and one for coolant. This model had the biggest catch basin I could find.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts