Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is the definition of first world problems. I recently had my car dynoed for the first time and enjoyed every minute of it. The car put out 671 to the wheels, which is pretty decent as the most power I have ever had was a stock 2009 charger SRT8 Super Bee, CAI, exhaust, and stock tine fRom Diablo Sport. So to say I have more power then ever is an understatement.

I have a desire to get to 700+ at the wheels, but not sure where to go to gain roughly 30+ whp. Now I will say that @nickf2005 was there watching my car be dynoed, so that is easily good for 10 rwhp, so maybe looking for 40+. This is purely vanity sake as well as a weird goal of mine.

Current set up, 2014 with the following enhancements:

Afco Dual Fan HE
170 T-stat
2.4” pulley and 90% idler
JLT CAI, Dry filter and pre-filter sock thing
passenger side catch can (not helping rwhp)
BMR LCA’s (also not a rwhp helper)
Tune from BJ of course
Ford Racing 65mm TB (pretty sure it is 65mm)

what is the easiest in terms of install and cost to gain roughly 30-40+ wrhp?

I spoke with BJ and he said mixing Boostane and a new tune file could help, but the idea of switching back and forth with tunes from 93 octane to 93 with Boostane seems like a pita. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
A larger throttle body and some port work should get you there. I'll say if it's an all around street car, leave it be.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A larger throttle body and some port work should get you there. I'll say if it's an all around street car, leave it be.
I also have that thought too. I admit it is an ego/vanity thing, but I might need to realize whatI have now is waaay more then needed to smoke the offending Prius-es that I encounter. There are so many Hellcats and red eyes where I am. Again ego is leading me to be able to smoke one of those morons, but I also need to realize no matter what I have, someone is always going to have more.

God logical discussions and guidance sucks. 😂

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
I just believe that once you go beyond those basic mods you have, it's sort of a rabbit hole of supporting mods to make more. Then you come to the realization you can't really take advantage of it due to traction loses.

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
107 Posts
Dave,
You know, the average Joe who asks is looking to know your crank power number - ie. 760 for the 2020 Gt500, 662 for your car in stock form, 550 for my 2011, etc. The members here do appreciate the RWHP but many people don’t know the difference. If your car is running well and you enjoy it now, just answer that you have between 750HP- 770HP (12% - 15% drivetrain loss) and enjoy their response ( Holy Sh1t! )

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
There is always the e85 option, but it would require fuel system mods.

·
Registered
819 Posts
E85 should get you in that range. I think there's not much involved in an e85 set-up on a 2014. You could have a 93 tune and an e85 tune.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,
You know, the average Joe who asks is looking to know your crank power number - ie. 760 for the 2020 Gt500, 662 for your car in stock form, 550 for my 2011, etc. The members here do appreciate the RWHP but many people don’t know the difference. If your car is running well and you enjoy it now, just answer that you have between 750HP- 770HP (12% - 15% drivetrain loss) and enjoy their response ( Holy Sh1t! )
I actually have had this exact thought. From everything spouted here, it is the rwhp that you all get excited by. hence my query. So yeah I suppose I have 750 to 770 at the crank and I know that is how much of the folks in the industry sell their wares. Crank numbers. Maybe it is just a paradigm shift in thinking.

Gents as always, appreciate the outside perspective.

Cheers

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,433 Posts
Sage advise from our members. You can have 1000HP at the wheels but you really can't enjoy the car if it side steps or smokes the tires when given it's head. Hell, my stock 2013 was a handful with good tires! The GT350 is a big departure from my GT500 because it hooks up and just goes! Lots more fun! Remember, when you're spinnin' you ain't winnin'!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
I actually have had this exact thought. From everything spouted here, it is the rwhp that you all get excited by. hence my query. So yeah I suppose I have 750 to 770 at the crank and I know that is how much of the folks in the industry sell their wares. Crank numbers. Maybe it is just a paradigm shift in thinking.

Cheers
I’m quite positive you have 759 crank horsepower Dave, which is well short of the 760 horsepower of the 2020. 😬:cool:

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,348 Posts

Cheers
Owners speak rwhp because that can be proved / verified with a dyno sheet.
One could guess crank hp by knowing drive train loss, ( % ), and adding it to a known rwhp #.
Getting back to the topic.
You could pick up 20+ rwhp by upgrading from a twin 65mm T/B to a mono-blade ( FRPP ).
As your car is already tuned for the twin 65, a tune revision isn't needed.
A larger CAI & MAF, which would require a tune revision, could get you to your goal.
.........................No one has ever asked me what my car makes @ the crank..

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m quite positive you have 759 crank horsepower Dave, which is well short of the 760 horsepower of the 2020. 😬:cool:

View attachment 201793
It’s probably the stripes, slowing me down. Ford wanted my car to go a bit slower w/white stripes so people could enjoy In awe.

makes sense, good on you for bringing that to my attention.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My bolt ons are in the sig. My car was making 682rwhp with the VMP 67TB at 16.5psi . I swapped up to the KB Mono with bolt patterned port matched XBA Plenum from PBR. Lund tuned it. Results were 34rw gain to 716hp. Interesting that the psi boost remained the same at 16.5psi and TQ hardly changed at all. I sold my VMP 67 + O-sized BPS plenum to offset some cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
229 Posts
I would say go corn fed. You can dual map a flex fuel system and e85 is not the same as it used to be. It used to be bad news, but its come lightyears since then.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey Bud....I'm sure you likely know this and I wish good things. But if your deal happens to fall through ....the Candy Apple Red with dark tint coating was a one year color specific for the GT500. In 2014 Ford replaced it with Ruby Red which was on the other Ford models. In any event...Talk To You on the forum when you're modding :)->).

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
My bolt ons are in the sig. My car was making 682rwhp with the VMP 67TB at 16.5psi . I swapped up to the KB Mono with bolt patterned port matched XBA Plenum from PBR. Lund tuned it. Results were 34rw gain to 716hp. Interesting that the psi boost remained the same at 16.5psi and TQ hardly changed at all. I sold my VMP 67 + O-sized BPS plenum to offset some cost.
Also, Typically, STD is 4% higher than SAE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, this is the definition of first world problems. I recently had my car dynoed for the first time and enjoyed every minute of it. The car put out 671 to the wheels, which is pretty decent as the most power I have ever had was a stock 2009 charger SRT8 Super Bee, CAI, exhaust, and stock tine fRom Diablo Sport. So to say I have more power then ever is an understatement.

I have a desire to get to 700+ at the wheels, but not sure where to go to gain roughly 30+ whp. Now I will say that @nickf2005 was there watching my car be dynoed, so that is easily good for 10 rwhp, so maybe looking for 40+. This is purely vanity sake as well as a weird goal of mine.

Current set up, 2014 with the following enhancements:

Afco Dual Fan HE
170 T-stat
2.4” pulley and 90% idler
JLT CAI, Dry filter and pre-filter sock thing
passenger side catch can (not helping rwhp)
BMR LCA’s (also not a rwhp helper)
Tune from BJ of course
Ford Racing 65mm TB (pretty sure it is 65mm)

what is the easiest in terms of install and cost to gain roughly 30-40+ wrhp?

I spoke with BJ and he said mixing Boostane and a new tune file could help, but the idea of switching back and forth with tunes from 93 octane to 93 with Boostane seems like a pita. Any guidance would be appreciated.
You can make 700+ with your 2014 on 93 with bolt on parts and a tune. My mods are in a post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,751 Posts
Not sure how AZ laws are, but headers with no/hiflow cats would get you there and it's a fairly simple mod.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts