Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have switched out the 2 piece drive shaft, and for those that have what brand, whats your thoughts, and where do we go to get one :) The price would be important also :)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
How many people have switched out the 2 piece drive shaft, and for those that have what brand, whats your thoughts, and where do we go to get one :) The price would be important also :)
Busababy mine was purchased from Evolution Performance and I believe the price was $800 and there was an addtional charge for the loop. I am not sure as to the brand but there is a difference of 25 pounds beteen the stock and one piece aluminum one. Can't give you my opinion as I am still in limbo whith the trans.:(

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happen to your trans ? I am sure you have posted it somewhere but I have not been on the boards as much being summer and have had allot of things going on.

07 Shelby did you also go with that drive shaft ? I have been on other boards and some people have had vibrations, etc and I don't want any part of that I just want it to work the first time :)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What happen to your trans ? I am sure you have posted it somewhere but I have not been on the boards as much being summer and have had allot of things going on.

07 Shelby did you also go with that drive shaft ? I have been on other boards and some people have had vibrations, etc and I don't want any part of that I just want it to work the first time :)
I had a problem with second gear (synchros shot). 07 has the same drive shaft as me and as far as I know he has not had any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

I do have the 1 piece aluminum.I believe it is a Dyna-Technologies balanced drive shaft.No issues,I feel very comfortable with it.I recommend the safety loop also.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you 07, that and the pulley is the next mod for the beast. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Purchased one from Evolution Performance $800.00 and he threw in the loop as well. I saved a total of 30lbs.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone tell me why Ford did not use a 1 piece drive shaft from the beginning. In fact it looks like all the flavor of mustangs, steeda, saleen, they all a 2 piece drive shaft. So I was wondering is that for a specific reason because I can understand Ford doing it, but the other guys that have unlimited resouces they could have easliy put a one piece in but have read on other boards that they didn't. Just makes me wonder why ?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Can anyone tell me why Ford did not use a 1 piece drive shaft from the beginning. In fact it looks like all the flavor of mustangs, steeda, saleen, they all a 2 piece drive shaft. So I was wondering is that for a specific reason because I can understand Ford doing it, but the other guys that have unlimited resouces they could have easliy put a one piece in but have read on other boards that they didn't. Just makes me wonder why ?

It is all about money.The 2 piece they can control vibration and harshness also.If you modify your Shelby for more H.P. you will eventually blow your 2 piece.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you 07 we can always count on you for the info, I was thinking that was the reason but didn't know for sure. So I guess I need to get that ordered as well :)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All,

I got 2 new mustang magazines and there was a write up in both for a company that has been in business since 1975 doing drive shafts and drivetrain parts. I call yesterday and they have 2 shafts for our cars. 1 is for 500-550 hp at the rear wheels, and the other is for 700Hp at the rear wheels. I talked to the owner for about 45 minutes his name is Bill and told me that if a group of guys wanted to get these shafts he would work us up a price.

Reg price is $ 572 for the 500hp shaft at the wheels

Reg price is $ 642.00 for the 700 hp shaft at the wheels

They have not had any problems with these shafts they are perfect balance and because they have been in business so long he said no need to worry about customer service, if for any reason you did not like it or there was a problem return no questions ask, but he went on to say we will love it not like it and there will be no problems. About 25 pounds lighter than factory and you will notice a big differance in the way the car rev's will be much quicker. (I like that word) Mustang Specialties is one of there big dists of this shaft but for quan discount and wants us to go through him. I don't know the discount since I don't know how many would want it so if your interested please reply and I will get us a price. No matter what I will be getting one seems like the price is right and after doing a Google on there compnay they are all over the internet and seem like they are the king in the drivetrain world. If we go with him he will give us a key word to use when ordering to get the right discount.

Check out the link, research it yourself and let me know:

http://www.coastdriveline.com/NEW_Mustang.htm

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
That's the same place I called yesterday and Bill called and left me a message with the same prices. I saw thier add in the Mustang Enthusiast. It looks like a quality product.

I'm interested.:)

Cal

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called one of the places that he has sold to for years and the guy had nothing but positive things to say about the product. Bill told me that the 500hp drive shaft is installed in a stang that is over 600 at the wheels and they are beating the hell out of the car and no problems. He told them that they should have the other shaft but they told him they would not hold him accountable if it breaks and so far not a single problem. He is a source that allot of dealers buy from and he said some dealers he has heard is marking things up a couple hundred dollars which is out of his control but since we found the source well... we win :) If you can hold off until more people decide we might save some money on this purchase to spend on another purchase. Just a thought :)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I'm not in a hurry. There has to be a few more of us just about ready. Do you know if he sells the loop also?

Cal

·
Registered
301 Posts
busababy

wonder what the difference is between the two shafts. Seems like it would be better to go ahead and spend the 70.00 difference, especially if up grades are in your future.

ILLEGAL

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the better shaft would be better, what I am hope is we get the better shaft at the price of the 500hp shaft. As far as loop I did not ask but that is not a big deal, summit racing sells them all day long.

·
Registered
861 Posts
count me in I will buy one!!!!! let me now the details when ready.don't matter to me if it is today or next month......but I plan to get one so why not get one at a discount. I don't care if it is 3 months......when ever, just let me know!
thanks
JJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd be up for it to probably. I been thinking about this one for a long time. I like things that don't add power, just make the power usage more efficient. How would you go about installing it if you didn't want to do it yourself? I don't suppose I could get the dealership to put it w/o raising a fit! LOL

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good so far on the members that want one of these. For those of you that don't know why you would want this mod I will explain. First if your car is stock and is going to remain stock (HP) than no this does not have allot of value to you, your stock shaft will work fine forever plus it is under warranty.

Now for those that are doing the normal bolt-ons like intake, computer, exhaust, gears, pulley, well you are putting allot more power out than factory and you have all heard the saying your only as strong as your weakess link. So all that power is being made and your drive shaft along with other parts have to get the power to the rearend. The drive shaft is a major player of that. So what the new driveshaft does is 1 it is allot stronger than factory so doubt if you would ever break it, 2 it is lighter and that is rotational weight which if anyone has ever raced you know that rotation weight is big for acceleration, stoping etc. This won't have you stop quicker but you will rev quicker and less work on the motor. 3 1 piece design is more efficient than our 2 piece we are losing power to the rear due to more turning parts. 4th it is a simple install, you will need a lift..well I guess you could do it in the garage with jack stands but what I pain that would be. Take the car to the dealer or better yet take it to a garage that you trust and within about 20 minutes the old is out and the new is on. You will pay 1 hour labor which is $ 45.00 to $75.00. Of course make sure they torque to the correct settings and not just air gun it on. Also having a garage do it the dealer knows nothing about it and if you ever need to go to the dealer for a trans issue or rearend issue you put back the factory so they don't use the new shaft as a reason to not fix under warranty. To me this is another simple bolt on with allot of positive effects. I will not be opening the motor up to put cams in, or changing my blower, so bolt-ons is the only mods I will do and this is a great one. I was thinking about posting this up on another board to see about a response to get more people if you think it is a good idea I will. Also I will give it a couple weeks and than pull the trigger on this. I will be talk to Bill on monday to let him know the response so far and just to keep in touch with him.

Happy Sunday to all.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for all the great info, Busa. Count me in. Although I have just a CAI and tune, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts