Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking the upcoming holiday time will give me the needed hours to get this done...Man, I love living in Central Texas where it is 75 degrees today! The bigesst reason why I bought a vert instead of a coupe.

Which ones are you guys using? How long did you wait before you did?

I am considering Zaino again (although I consider it more of a polish and less of a protectant), Zymol, Griots, Meguiars Professional...

Thoughts? Car only has 200 miles...how long are you guys waiting before waxing? Anyone think claybar is a must on the new paint or is it good to go?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been doing the synthetic waxes since I got mine. After every time I take it out I wipe it down and if it has been a few days I will go over it again with the liquid detailers. The finish was beautiful when I picked it up and as slick as ice. I haven't had to wash it yet and there is no need to clay bar mine since there is nothing on it. I have used three different kinds of finish detailers from Mcquires, Liquid Ice, and a liquid nanowax. The finish shines like a mirror.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have two coats of Meguiar's "The Gold Class" on it. I waited for four months after my production date before I used it. I use the Meguiar's "Quick Detailer" all the time and I really like that. I see many people at the car shows using the same detailer. I like the wax, but I am open to trying something like the Zaino stuff.

I did use the clay bar one time right after I washed it and before the wax. I was amazed at how much dirt came off after I thought it was clean! If you haven't tried it I would recommend it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used the clay bar on my wifes car and my daughter's truck and it made a world of difference on both of them. Now they both feel like my GT500. I may get another one and try it on the GT500 to see if it does take anything off. It is just so smooth I can't imagine there is anything on it but polish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Meguiars NXT on all of my Mustangs. The compliments never stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where are you located in Texas? I live in San Antonio and have a Blue/White coupe GT500. I've only seen one other here in town.
Chad

·
Registered
171 Posts
cwilder;
I am up in Argyle, which is 27 miles north of Ft. Worth on 35W. I used to live in San Antonio from The 3rd grade to my Junior yr in High school. I left there in the summer of 1967 and went back to Fredericksburg(my home town). I still have friends and relatives who live in SA.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Where are you located in Texas? I live in San Antonio and have a Blue/White coupe GT500. I've only seen one other here in town.
Chad
Hey, CW, when did you take delivery of your Shelby? I'll get you completed on our list! Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cwilder - I am in Georgetown...just north of Austin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thoughts? Car only has 200 miles...how long are you guys waiting before waxing? Anyone think claybar is a must on the new paint or is it good to go?
A friend who owns a 2006 Vette introduced me to a great product. www.liquidglass.com. I have tried it and the results are spectacular. The first coat is a two part process. You first wax with a supplied polish, then you use the LiquidGlass (I think the name is a trademark). Second and subsequent coats make the shine deeper and go on in minutes.

When I finished the first time, had a fly landed on the hood he would he slipped off.

My first coat can be seen here: http://www.mcleodscotties.com/000_0013.jpg

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've used most brands mentioned in this post, but this is the first time that I have used Zaino. I am very impressed with it. I also clayed the car depite it seeming to have a very "slick" finish. I think I am up to about 10 coats to date. Waxed the first weekend I got the car too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chad
There are at least two others... I have a Alloy w/ Satin Silver over here by Seaworld, and there is a red/white over on the north side. I haven't actually seen any others on the road yet. Hope your enjoying yours and the almost 80degree temps!

Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys...what are your thoughts about protection when it comes to Zaino or Liquid Glass? I know Zaino produces an INCREDIBLE shine (as I am sure Liquidglass does), but does it offer the protection that a hard Carnauba wax does?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are at least two others... I have a Alloy w/ Satin Silver over here by Seaworld, and there is a red/white over on the north side. I haven't actually seen any others on the road yet. Hope your enjoying yours and the almost 80degree temps!

Jason
I have seen a Alloy w/Siver over here on 281 north. Was it yours? The Shelby I saw had new wheels. There's also a red clone over here.
Chad

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still have the stock wheels so it must be another alloy. I've been over to 281 area few times for a 3M bra and to take her into Northside Ford for a bad coil though. The guy with the Red/White is named Ken. I'm pretty sure he had the first in the City. I managed to get a ride in his while I was still waiting on mine, which was delivered Oct 13 with 13 miles on the odo. ; )

As for the wax, there is a fairly well known high end detailer here in town named Anthony. He swears by a new liquid wax called Optimum optimumcarcare.com. It's supposed to last 5mo and does not leave any white residue on the black trim. I've been using it around the black trim and meguires gold or NXT paste for the rest of the car. I just can't convince myself that a liquid wax can provide the same protection as a paste!

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys...what are your thoughts about protection when it comes to Zaino or Liquid Glass? I know Zaino produces an INCREDIBLE shine (as I am sure Liquidglass does), but does it offer the protection that a hard Carnauba wax does?
Hi TXCobra,
I've used many brands of waxes over the years and done alot of research on different waxes and polishes, the problem I find with Carnaubas is that they melt in the heat and dust seems to stick to it like a magnet. The one that I use now on my Shelby and find it's protection is unequalled, is the Mequiars NXT Synthethic Polymer formula.
Just my 2 cents,

svtkeith

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks SVT Keith, is that part of the Meguiars "Professional" line? Where do you get it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Walmart carries the NXT Synthetic. I agree also that any wax, no matter how good, will melt in the summer(especially in Texas) and help collect all the dirt and contaminents. I have found the synthetics(whether liquid or paste are much easier to put on and take off. I have some of the Mequiars NXT touch-up liquid for quick detailing and it works great. Just wipe it on and wipe it off and it shines like you wouldn't believe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts