Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had an awesome evening tonight as it was the first Mustang Challenge event of the year. If you guys didn't see Lethal Performance is the main sponsor for the event this year. The Mustang Challenge is monthly bracket race which takes place at Moroso and is seriously a real good time.

We were hoping to have the cold front that swept through the South to bring us some good air but unfortunately it stayed just north of us. We were stuck in the low 70's again with 88% humidity. Not bad but not the air that's going to give us what we're looking for.

This time behind the wheel we had our good friend Jeremy Martorella from UPR Products tearing it up. Jeremy has only been down the track 3 other times with our GT500 before this evening.

Our Mod List is:
JLT Carbon Fiber Intake
VMP Custom Tune
AFCO Pro-Series Heat Exchanger
PFAB Intercooler Reservoir
Canton Radiator Expansion Tank
DSS 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

STOCK PULLEY, STOCK SUSPENSION, STOCK EXHAUST!

Jeremy was able to cut some sick 60ft times with a 1.735 being the the best also yielding our best 1/4 mile time of the evening of [email protected] The craziest thing is that he was on the brakes as he went through the traps as we were trying to advance to the next round of the bracket race. The 1/8 mile time of that run was 7.521. That 60ft and 1/8 with descent weather should yield us a 11.5X. So we're hoping to get another crack at it with some cool weather before the FL heat comes back.

The only changes we made to the car since the last time at the track are a DSS 3.5' Aluminum Driveshaft and a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Big thanks to [email protected] for hooking us up with the driveshaft as we know it will be needed as we continue our build. A big thanks as well to our good friend Scott Boda of Steeda Autosports for hooking us up with the shifter. Jeremy said that the shifter felt a lot better than stock. The stock shifter had some slop in it and the Tri-ax's throw was way shorter than stock making it a lot easier to shift. He also noted that the Tri-ax hit every gear dead on at ease.

All in all it was an awesome night. Thanks to everyone who came out tonight for the Challenge and a big thanks to Jeremy for donating his driving skills.

More times to come soon! Jared

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Hi Jared, nice times.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Welcome to the site Jared!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
What size and type of tires did you use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would you mind sharing your optimal launch technique? Such as:

rpm?
Have you experimented? I've tried 3,000 - 3,500 - 3,800 - 4,500. Doesn't seem to matter but I suck at this..... only been twice and don't have a "feel" for what works and what doesn't.

Feather or pop the clutch?
I'm too impatient (adrenalin, ya know) and seem to let the clutch out too quickly, causing my rpm's to drop significantly -- bad....

Two-step?
Installed but haven't played with it yet. Without it, my rpm's waiver a lot!!! Darn drive-by-wire. If you don't use a two-step, how do you stabilize the rpm's prior to launch? Don't want to use it until I figure out all this other stuff -- introducing yet another variable is bad...

.... and last but not least, TCS on or off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts