Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I recently went to MGW's site and they don't seem to sell Ford licensed logo shifter balls anymore. No cobras or ponies were listed.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I recently went to MGW's site and they don't seem to sell Ford licensed logo shifter balls anymore. No cobras or ponies were listed.
..........But you can get a Coyote.........

I REALLY owe a "Big Shout Out" (Thank You) to JT (JTB), he had this MGW cylindrical Gripper and sold it to me. We had a little bit of a time getting it to Florida with the current border issue between Canada and the U.S., but it made it to me and I thank JT.

That stainless Shelby topper was the Big deal to me, the rest of the parts are interchangeable and can be replaced. I also like the "MGW" stainless topper.

R

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
..........But you can get a Coyote.........
Ford obviously doesn't have a copyright for that image. When I got the gripper and another ball, adorned with cobra's it had a tag showing it was a Ford licensed product. Several years back I got a "race knob" from MGW with the same cobra logo as yours and I don't recall any such tags. The race knob is similar to the cylinder, but has sort of a curvature at the top like this.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I just called MGW and the person who answered the phone said that the Cobra snake toppers were popular and unfortunately, they do not have any more. She said Ford pulled their licensing from them (MGW) and many other businesses who previously sold Ford licensed products......

R

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Ford obviously doesn't have a copyright for that image. When I got the gripper and another ball, adorned with cobra's it had a tag showing it was a Ford licensed product. Several years back I got a "race knob" from MGW with the same cobra logo as yours and I don't recall any such tags. The race knob is similar to the cylinder, but has sort of a curvature at the top like this.

^^^^That's unique!

Do they still offer that ball/knob?

R

·
Registered
4,462 Posts

^^^^^Ok, I just talked to George himself. The knob you have pictured above he called the contoured race knob, it was available a long time ago from MGW but has also been discontinued and there are none in "old stock"....................... Cha-Ching....

R

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My current set up, a custom Black Super Snake ball with the Shelby stick.......

I am working on an install of the MGW cylindrical Gripper ball shown below with the Shelby snake topper. Currently this MGW ball has the M12X1.25 thread insert/stem which is standard MGW and oem 2007-2009 GT500. I need to contact MGW and get the M12X1.75 thread insert/stem for the Shelby stick. I may grab Pewter and Silver along with the Black so I can do a "quick change" of shifter ball look.....but that Snake on top is the cool part!......

.............with the current Black M12X1.25 insert/stem.....

^^^^^If I decide to change to the round Gripper ball, the Snake insert will work in the top of it also..

Tim - I guess when I scan down through the balls in this thread, most look rather "Manly", and then there is one that stands out (not "sticks" out) as being......well.......rather "Girly"..................LOL!!!

R
Those MGW grippers are sweet. That snake insert is money, looks amazing.

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,628 Posts
My current set up, a custom Black Super Snake ball with the Shelby stick.......

I am working on an install of the MGW cylindrical Gripper ball shown below with the Shelby snake topper. Currently this MGW ball has the M12X1.25 thread insert/stem which is standard MGW and oem 2007-2009 GT500. I need to contact MGW and get the M12X1.75 thread insert/stem for the Shelby stick. I may grab Pewter and Silver along with the Black so I can do a "quick change" of shifter ball look.....but that Snake on top is the cool part!......

.............with the current Black M12X1.25 insert/stem.....

^^^^^If I decide to change to the round Gripper ball, the Snake insert will work in the top of it also..

Tim - I guess when I scan down through the balls in this thread, most look rather "Manly", and then there is one that stands out (not "sticks" out) as being......well.......rather "Girly"..................LOL!!!

R

I really like that 'snake' insert in the MGW Gripper, I just may have to order the ball one...

Thanks, great idea.
I looked at mine the other day and thought to myself: 'Self, why do you need the shift pattern on top like that, you know the pattern!'

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,781 Posts
Funny Robert! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
^^^^^Ok, I just talked to George himself. The knob you have pictured above he called the contoured race knob, it was available a long time ago from MGW but has also been discontinued and there are none in "old stock"....................... Cha-Ching....
I bought it at least 5 years ago, maybe 6. I did not see if offered long in a mustang configuration. I'd probably need to go back to the shorter shaft to use it again. I did like the feel of it, so I might do that. I needed something with the shift pattern on it, because I knew when I put my car back on the road last year, it would need to go into a few different hands for inspection, air bags and alignment.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,064 Posts
Shelby knob with custom boot

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have typo in the company that made my knob. I’m sure some have searched and figured it out and others may not have. Here’s a link. Billetworkz
You can email for anything custom.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I bought it at least 5 years ago, maybe 6. I did not see if offered long in a mustang configuration. I'd probably need to go back to the shorter shaft to use it again. I did like the feel of it, so I might do that. I needed something with the shift pattern on it, because I knew when I put my car back on the road last year, it would need to go into a few different hands for inspection, air bags and alignment.
Yes, the Cobra toppers are gone at MGW.

One thing I did find out, after a 3rd call to MGW today......If you look in the Corvette knob offerings, they list the cylindrical Gripper like mine as the "Race Knob", but another point of interest is the two 6-speed inserts/toppers that are shown with the Corvette grippers, a $16 Black topper with the 6 speed pattern shown on the round Gripper and a nice stainless $35 topper with the 6 speed pattern shown on the cylindrical/Race knob. So that got me thinking........If both Grippers (round and cylindrical) are mix and match with the toppers and specific stems and colors, why would that nicer looking stainless 6 speed topper fit either Gripper knob in a GT500 application?? There is a Gripper topper shown in the GT500 order application, but IMO, the $35 stainless 6 speed topper for the Corvette Gripper looks a better.......So I called MGW again, she verified that the pattern was the same, which it is TR-6060.......and then she said, yes it can be ordered for the GT500 knob separately, but they would like to see the bottom side of my existing Cobra topper to verify the fit. Apparently there have been some changes to the topper mounting over time and a picture would tell the story...............So anyway, when you get a chance, do a "stare and compare" between the two Corvette 6 speed toppers and what is shown for the GT500. Personally, I like the $35 Corvette stainless topper better, if I were to buy a MGW topper for the 6 speed pattern option.............and really, the $16 aluminum Black 6 speed pattern Corvette topper looks good too.

I have not thought this much about "knobs", ever...........Let's talk about Tim's knob...... ; )

R

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
@Robert M, if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll see if the old topper is the same as one of the newer ones I purchased. I bought a stainless topper with the aluminum one I posted, but can't remember what image was on it. I can't imagine it was a shift pattern, so that leaves another Cobra. I'm curious to see if they're similar too.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
@Robert M, if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll see if the old topper is the same as one of the newer ones I purchased. I bought a stainless topper with the aluminum one I posted, but can't remember what image was on it. I can't imagine it was a shift pattern, so that leaves another Cobra. I'm curious to see if they're similar too.
Post #18 shows the round/ball MGW Gripper with the aluminum topper w/ghost Cobra snake and the 6 speed shift pattern.

BTW - Stay tuned for a new MGW topper........with a snake.......maybe added to the MGW website this weekend...........

R

21 - 40 of 45 Posts