Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I contacted SOS and found out they no longer do the A Pillar mounts like I wanted to get. I guess my next option is either the AC vents which I know causes it’s own set of problems (overheating gauges during winter) or buy the Autometer 2 1/16 triple gauge dash cluster. For the AC vents do you have to drill a hole in your ducting for the wires? The dash I read the tape doesn’t want to stick well and people end up drilling the dash. I am definitely not wrecking my dash or A pillars, unless I can use a spare one and keep my stock part. Recommendations? I definitely want AFR, Boost and would like coolant temp as well. Thought about interceptor in the middle vents to cover boost and coolant, then separate AFR in the other middle vent. Though since I have a 2008 I know the interceptor will have limited data compared to 2011-up.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,300 Posts
I added a single Aeroforce Interceptor gauge in a Roush vent pod left of my steering wheel on my 2011 (round vent). I just don’t blow warm air through those vents. I did drill a small hole in the tubing for the wires.

Reactions: 08 GT500 NC

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did the Shelby 2 5/8" pod setup. Super nonevasive, no holes, only double stick Velcro. Theres already a hole at the back of the dash by the windshield for it. Shelby still sells the kit or you can build your own, they sell a triple pod without gauges.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,832 Posts
That's a tough one. I agonized over a direction for a couple of years. If I had to do it today, I may have to look at a window mount with something like the Ngauge. The Shelby pod would be an option if I had an earlier model.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all and yes I am totally not against the Shelby pod as I think that looks very good Mac! Also great to know that it doesn’t require dash cutting. The only issue I see is they fit a 2 5/8” gauge and most AFRs are 2 1/16 like the AEM. Albeit I do like the “older” style with actual needles, but I kind of think the digital would be easier to read. Such a dilemma lol I guess I could do the cut your own and have different sized gauges. Talk about the stress of not jacking up those holes while cutting. :) I blame SOS for no longer making the pillar pods. Haha

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
101 Posts
I have an ngauge suction cup mounted the bottom corner of my windshield. I like that I can remove it for a clean look, it datalogs, and it’ll swap my tunes. I even hooked up my innovate LC2 wideband to it. I’m looking into hooking up a MAP sensor soon. I’ll see off it’s possible like the wideband. Either way, I’ve got AFT, Fuel pressure, ect, iat2, load, and fuel pump duty cycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
So I contacted SOS and found out they no longer do the A Pillar mounts like I wanted to get. I guess my next option is either the AC vents which I know causes it’s own set of problems (overheating gauges during winter) or buy the Autometer 2 1/16 triple gauge dash cluster. For the AC vents do you have to drill a hole in your ducting for the wires? The dash I read the tape doesn’t want to stick well and people end up drilling the dash. I am definitely not wrecking my dash or A pillars, unless I can use a spare one and keep my stock part. Recommendations? I definitely want AFR, Boost and would like coolant temp as well. Thought about interceptor in the middle vents to cover boost and coolant, then separate AFR in the other middle vent. Though since I have a 2008 I know the interceptor will have limited data compared to 2011-up.
Why not the Autometer 3 gauge pillar mount for the 2007-2009? Using 2-1/16" gauges?

The Autometer 3 gauge pillar is what comes standard in the 2010-2014 Super Snakes with 2-1/16" Shelby signature CF face gauges. The same can be had to the 2007-2009 (different part number pillar).....with the Autometer CF gauges or other 2-1/16" gauges.....

R

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
I found gauge pods on Etsy that go in the AC vents like the Roush ones. No complaints and no drilling, I'll see if I can find some pics.

Pics here:

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Robert, yeah that’s what I was leaning towards initially was the Autometer cluster with the 2 1/16. I just saw mixed reviews on it. Though I also read Autometer makes the Shelby one as well....so?? Lol Plus it already has the angle rings built in so would save some money.

That is very cool Joe! I was wondering when someone would make that technology one day. Too bad I do not have a newer car to take more advantage of the data. Being a 2008 I am guessing I could only pull the coolant temp from it? I wonder if I can pull Oil Temp and pressure out of the OBD2?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Hey Robert, yeah that’s what I was leaning towards initially was the Autometer cluster with the 2 1/16. I just saw mixed reviews on it. Though I also read Autometer makes the Shelby one as well....so?? Lol Plus it already has the angle rings built in so would save some money.
If you are talking about the 2-1/6" dash pod by Autometer, yes I have heard there are mixed reviews. The 2-5/8" dash pod that Shelby sells (and is standard install in the 2007-2009 Super Snakes), I am not sure who makes that for them, it is completely different from the Autometer dash pod as shown below.......

SPP on left (with angle ring kit installed), Autometer on right.....

I was talking about the Autometer 3 gauge pillar mount that is available and would be similar to the SOS that was originally mentioned in this thread. There are two part numbers for the Autometer Mustang/GT500 pillars, one for the 2007-2009 and one for the 2010-2014. Shown below is a 2010-2014 Autometer pillar mount and actually it is from a S/C'ed 2011 Shelby GT350, but it is the same as installed in the 2010-2014 Super Snakes.....

The 2007-2009 Autometer pillar looks the same from a visual standpoint but does have a different part number.

R

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I thought about that one as well Robert, but I don’t like the fact it’s a overlay and most likely destroys your factory part. Maybe if I bought a used one I would go that route, then not worry about putting any screws in it (I believe you have to screw those down??? Unless I am mistaken). I would have sent my original to SOS because they make it look factory though. :)

Also thank you for the comparison on the dash.I kind of like the lower profile of the 2 1/16. Not sure how much obstruction out of the window when using the 2 5/8 thought.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Yeah I thought about that one as well Robert, but I don’t like the fact it’s a overlay and most likely destroys your factory part. Maybe if I bought a used one I would go that route, then not worry about putting any screws in it (I believe you have to screw those down??? Unless I am mistaken). I would have sent my original to SOS because they make it look factory though. :)

Also thank you for the comparison on the dash.I kind of like the lower profile of the 2 1/16. Not sure how much obstruction out of the window when using the 2 5/8 thought.
I was thinking it replaced the oem pillar trim? I have seen some double and single pods that attach to the oem trim, but I thought this triple replaced it?

>>EDIT<< I just pulled out the one I have here and it does look like it attaches to the oem pillar at the top, but I do not see any screw holes for fastening it. Me personally, I would probably buy a spare A-pillar trim and attach this pod to it if I were to install it in my car, that way the original trim would be stored away and not altered and could be put back in place at any time. It seems to me, now that we are discussing this, that I priced a replacement drivers side A-pillar trim at one point and it was like......$125, maybe $140 for a new one?

R

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds about right Robert. If you can still find a new one they are running about $140 I think I found. Not much luck even on eBay. I checked the local scrap yards and not many cars out there. May need to keep my eyes open for a spare one. :)
The bad if you buy new of course, you would have $140 in the pillar then the around $90 for the Autometer part. Makes the dash mount sound like a cheaper solution for sure.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I just had my Ford parts friend verify the correct part number for the drivers A-pillar trim by my GT500 VIN, just to make sure there are no color or texture differences between the GT500 and non-GT500 Mustangs. The correct replacement part number according to Ford is 6R3Z6303599BC for my 2008 Coupe, and that trim piece is Discontinued.

R

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
101 Posts

That is very cool Joe! I was wondering when someone would make that technology one day. Too bad I do not have a newer car to take more advantage of the data. Being a 2008 I am guessing I could only pull the coolant temp from it? I wonder if I can pull Oil Temp and pressure out of the OBD2?
Mine is an 08 too.

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
264 Posts
Start calling Mustang tuner shops and ask about the SOS A pillars. I went to my shop for a tune and casually asked. I left with a SOS 3-gauge pillar.

Good Luck with whatever you go with!!

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went the Goose & Tom route and bought the Vent adapters from Etsy. They are right now on sale for $22 each. I ordered two for the center vents. I plan on going with a boost and AFR gauge for now. Hopefully no drilling out the duct work. Also maybe need to block off the area somehow so the gauges do not get hot or cold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts