Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started noticing a weird smell over the past day or two. Not sure what caused this to happen but now have a consistent leak from what appears to be one of the lines to/from the transmission to the heat exchanger at the front of the car. Leaking at the circled connection.

Probably not a big deal to fix. More so worried about the tech that’ll be doing the work…

Bummer. If anyone in/near Arkansas knows a dealer with a good Shelby tech I’d sure appreciate any recommendations.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,932 Posts
Started noticing a weird smell over the past day or two. Not sure what caused this to happen but now have a consistent leak from what appears to be one of the lines to/from the transmission to the heat exchanger at the front of the car. Leaking at the circled connection.

Probably not a big deal to fix. More so worried about the tech that’ll be doing the work…

Bummer. If anyone in/near Arkansas knows a dealer with a good Shelby tech I’d sure appreciate any recommendations. View attachment 237165
Well this is seemingly becoming a more common issue. There’s likely a crack in the line or fitting. Here’s a thread below with some fixes and similar issues. There’s been quite a few threads recently with the same issue. My 21 is approaching 2500 miles and I’m starting to look after I pull out of every parking space.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts

Bummer. If anyone in/near Arkansas knows a dealer with a good Shelby tech I’d sure appreciate any recommendations. View attachment 237165
Yup! This has been quite common. I keep waiting for mine to leak.

·
Registered
'22 Code Orange
66 Posts
if they are close enough to you, Riser Harness Ford in Searcy has a good crew. Met the owner and his son at a track day with their Shelby gt350 and Roush GT, real performance enthusiasts. They have a very good tech that works on their performance cars, and has his own boss302.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rapid Red
216 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if this issue continues with the '22 GT500s

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
how common is common? Has there ever been some sort of poll on who has /had not experienced this?

interesting stuff !
Common enough. I see posts here and on FB about this. Some have it early on while others never seem to have it.

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone. @webspoke I appreciate the recommendation! I have the car on jack stands and it seems like the leak is occurring at the cooler line's connection to the trans rather than the line itself; therefore, I've ordered SPE's Seal Kit and will install myself. Had it been the line, I probably would've folded and reluctantly gone to the dealer.

Also, I bought my car new in December 2021 and have about 8,700 miles (I can't keep myself from driving it damn near every day!)

·
Registered
Magnetic metallic CFTP painted black roof painted black stripes
176 Posts
I ordered The same kit and the leak was way worse, followed all instructions on their video and remote started it while on lift. Fluid poured not dripped. I took The SPE repair kit off and put it in a drawer in my toolbox, set up with dealership for repairs, waited about 3 months and called them and they said oh bring it next week, so i left it with them for 7 days and let them do the service bulletin repair. No leaks, i am Curious though if they topped off fluid, i plan On putting back on lift this weekend to check.
good luck and i hope You have better success !
Best Jim

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered The same kit and the leak was way worse, followed all instructions on their video and remote started it while on lift. Fluid poured not dripped. I took The SPE repair kit off and put it in a drawer in my toolbox, set up with dealership for repairs, waited about 3 months and called them and they said oh bring it next week, so i left it with them for 7 days and let them do the service bulletin repair. No leaks, i am Curious though if they topped off fluid, i plan On putting back on lift this weekend to check.
Best Jim
Interesting. Hoping I have a different outcome when I install the kit this afternoon. Did the dealer tell you what was causing the leak?

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best Jim
Well, I had the exact same outcome. After the SPE kit it was a stream, not drips. Guess I’m headed to the dealer.
Crazy how wonky the tube is. The angles are way off. Makes sense why it leaks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
Magnetic metallic CFTP painted black roof painted black stripes
176 Posts
Interesting. Hoping I have a different outcome when I install the kit this afternoon. Did the dealer tell you what was causing the leak?
I got No feedback from dealership! Paperwork said made to repairs transmission per service bulletin #?
it was leaking where tubing bolts in the bottom of transmission.
I felt a little hesitation when i pit In drive this afternoon, really makes me wonder if the dealership topped off fluid after repair.
I will Find out this weekend when i get Under it .
Good luck to the rest who are having these issues.
Best Jim

·
Premium Member
2022 CFTP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, I successfully replaced the lines yesterday. No more leaks. For those contemplating doing this, you need to remove the clips on the quick disconnects with a pick or something similar, not a quick disconnect tool shown below. At some point Ford changed the design of the lines to where these quick disconnect tools no longer work.
Brown Font Auto part Magenta Bumper

When removing the lines, don't hit them on the starter like I did. Sparks were flying. Clearances are tight and you are working next to the starter. Also, @Goose17 trans flush/fill video is a must.

Lastly, if anyone is doing or planning on doing Whipple's upgraded intercooler brick + water manifold feel free to ask questions. Just did that as well. Daunting task given you have to focus on not dropping screws/spilling coolant down the intakes and also have to be careful with the fuel rails and injectors. Very worthwhile project though. IAT2 now around 10-15 deg. over ambient, even in 90+ degree Arkansas summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 GT500 is in the shop now for the third time with this problem. First time was around 2months after I bought the car, Ford fixed the issue by retaping the bolt that holds the line on. It broke again while on vacation in San Diego did not realize it and drove from SD to Northern California with it leaking the whole way, this destroyed the transmission. Now almost a year later it happened again. I love the car but...

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
My 2020 GT500 is in the shop now for the third time with this problem. First time was around 2months after I bought the car, Ford fixed the issue by retaping the bolt that holds the line on. It broke again while on vacation in San Diego did not realize it and drove from SD to Northern California with it leaking the whole way, this destroyed the transmission. Now almost a year later it happened again. I love the car but...
Well CRAP! Sorry for the recurring problem!

Welcome to the forum! If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 21 and it just spung a big leak at just under 1300 miles. Car has had to be painted already and now this. So far I'm very unhappy with ford quality. I finally found a dealer that could get me in for the repair after 3 weeks. This really passes me off considering I live right across the street from where this car is made. Car is fixed now sitting at the dealer waiting for 6 quarts of trans fluid that FORD can't even get so they had to order it from rock auto. 100k for this car is a joke.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,932 Posts
I have a 21 and it just spung a big leak at just under 1300 miles. Car has had to be painted already and now this. So far I'm very unhappy with ford quality. I finally found a dealer that could get me in for the repair after 3 weeks. This really passes me off considering I live right across the street from where this car is made. Car is fixed now sitting at the dealer waiting for 6 quarts of trans fluid that FORD can't even get so they had to order it from rock auto. 100k for this car is a joke.
First post is a whopper! Welcome aboard sorry to hear about your troubles. I can’t blame you for being disappointed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts