Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am not alone in getting screwed by a greedy Ford dealer in my attempts to purchase my GT500. The level of greed and stupidity on the part of a New Jersey dealer however, rose to such a level of fraud and greed that I hired a lawyer and filed a lawsuit in New Jersey to recover real damages.

Shortly after the New York Auto Show announced the production of the GT500, I trolled the internet and phoned upwards of 50 dealers in order to get a firm commitment on a car. Many said they would wait for deliveries before determining aftermarket value, many said they would auction the car to the highest bidder and many said they'd already sold the the Shelby's they'd been allocated. Fair enough. At least they were honest.

One dealer, Ozzie's Ford Store in Kearny New Jersey confirmed in writing to me that the were receiving 2 cars - one hardtop and one convertible. I did a deal in writing - even better, words and language that I had a lawyer write - agreeing to pay $10K above sticker, with a delivery date of late July/early August 2006. I paid a $10,000 deposit (on a credit card) in February 2006.

Beginning in around April, I began phoning (from London, where I was living) just about every week. I was becoming concerned that there was no confirmed order in the Ford system for my build; no VIN; nothing. Worse, the anwsers I was getting from the dealer became flakier and flakier. I started getting bounced from the Sales Manager, who sold me the car, to the owner's son and ultimately "Mr. Ozzie" himself. Each one had a different excuse as to why I didn't have a confirmed order number. "Ford pulled their allocation and gave it to another dealer" was Ozzie's last excuse before my calls (and $10,000 deposit) stopped being returned.

Not surprisingly, July, August and September came and went. Realizing my plight, I did two things immediately: Informed my credit card company (in order that my money be refunded by them while they recovered their money from Mr. Ozzie) and began my search for a Shelby all over again.

By now, though it wasn't impossible to find a car, the price over sticker was now $20,000. You have to understand that I really wanted this car. Further, all the above ordeal did was strengthen my resolve to succeed in owning this car. Finally, I located a car at an honest dealer, Allentown Ford in Allentown, Pennsylvania and paid the $20,000 over sticker. I am the proud owner of red hardtop with white GT stripe. As much as I love this car, I probably would have paid $30K over.

Now that this part of the exercise was over, it was time to teach Mr. Ozzie a lesson about the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, which awards triple damages to a plaintiff who proves their case. I was referred to a lawyer located just down the street from Mr. Ozzie (who upon hearing his name comfirmed his reputation), told him about my case and hired him. We filed a lawsuit the following week.

Depositions in the case will happen soon. I will not let go of this until I get justice and all the damages paid, which for me begins with the additional $10K I was forced to pay as a result of the fraud.

To anyone in a similar situation, I strongly advise you pursue a similar course. If your case is strong enough (as mine is) the lawyer will most probably take the case on a contingent fee, taking 30% of any recovery plus costs. Under this arrangement, most lawyers will not take a case unless they firmly believe there is one. We firmly believe there is a case, as well as fraud here.

Never let people screw you. :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I know I am not alone in getting screwed by a greedy Ford dealer in my attempts to purchase my GT500. The level of greed and stupidity on the part of a New Jersey dealer however, rose to such a level of fraud and greed that I hired a lawyer and filed a lawsuit in New Jersey to recover real damages.

Shortly after the New York Auto Show announced the production of the GT500, I trolled the internet and phoned upwards of 50 dealers in order to get a firm commitment on a car. Many said they would wait for deliveries before determining aftermarket value, many said they would auction the car to the highest bidder and many said they'd already sold the the Shelby's they'd been allocated. Fair enough. At least they were honest.

One dealer, Ozzie's Ford Store in Kearny New Jersey confirmed in writing to me that the were receiving 2 cars - one hardtop and one convertible. I did a deal in writing - even better, words and language that I had a lawyer write - agreeing to pay $10K above sticker, with a delivery date of late July/early August 2006. I paid a $10,000 deposit (on a credit card) in February 2006.

Beginning in around April, I began phoning (from London, where I was living) just about every week. I was becoming concerned that there was no confirmed order in the Ford system for my build; no VIN; nothing. Worse, the anwsers I was getting from the dealer became flakier and flakier. I started getting bounced from the Sales Manager, who sold me the car, to the owner's son and ultimately "Mr. Ozzie" himself. Each one had a different excuse as to why I didn't have a confirmed order number. "Ford pulled their allocation and gave it to another dealer" was Ozzie's last excuse before my calls (and $10,000 deposit) stopped being returned.

Not surprisingly, July, August and September came and went. Realizing my plight, I did two things immediately: Informed my credit card company (in order that my money be refunded by them while they recovered their money from Mr. Ozzie) and began my search for a Shelby all over again.

By now, though it wasn't impossible to find a car, the price over sticker was now $20,000. You have to understand that I really wanted this car. Further, all the above ordeal did was strengthen my resolve to succeed in owning this car. Finally, I located a car at an honest dealer, Allentown Ford in Allentown, Pennsylvania and paid the $20,000 over sticker. I am the proud owner of red hardtop with white GT stripe. As much as I love this car, I probably would have paid $30K over.

Now that this part of the exercise was over, it was time to teach Mr. Ozzie a lesson about the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, which awards triple damages to a plaintiff who proves their case. I was referred to a lawyer located just down the street from Mr. Ozzie (who upon hearing his name comfirmed his reputation), told him about my case and hired him. We filed a lawsuit the following week.

Depositions in the case will happen soon. I will not let go of this until I get justice and all the damages paid, which for me begins with the additional $10K I was forced to pay as a result of the fraud.

To anyone in a similar situation, I strongly advise you pursue a similar course. If your case is strong enough (as mine is) the lawyer will most probably take the case on a contingent fee, taking 30% of any recovery plus costs. Under this arrangement, most lawyers will not take a case unless they firmly believe there is one. We firmly believe there is a case, as well as fraud here.

Never let people screw you. :)

Welcome to the forum passion4gt500.I got screwd also but actually got a better deal the 2nd time around.I also like your taste of colors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Props on getting a fully-striped car in the fastest color. If you get your full payout against the dealer, after taxes, consider PMing 07 and offer to pay for the costs of the site for a month or four. :) [or give the money to me, you know, whatever]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lawyer isn't too up-to-speed with posting his cases/updates on site's like this however I am. I would be happy to provide updates under this thread as/when they occur.

The judge recently ordered the parties to attempt resolution through mediation. The first call between the lawyers from both sides will occur later in the week. Once that happens, I'll have a better handle on how things will proceed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It may be that your lawyer would prefer to discover your on-line information disclosure from you, instead of from the defense.

It may be reasonable to conclude that providing a historical record, instead of a blow-by-blow record would eliminate additional harm to your case.

The post states that you were “lawyered up” at the beginning and end of the process, implying also in the middle. It is likely that a lawyer letter, to the dealership, to satisfy the contract, prior to terminating that broken agreement, shows you were lawyered in the middle.

Nothing wrong with having a lawyer to protect your interest. The problem is your statement that you’d have paid $30K over invoice. The problem with that is that your responsibility is to mitigate damages, minimizing the harm caused.

So, maybe your lawyer can show, based on E-Bay sales at the time of the new purchase, that you paid market value for the replacement vehicle, so they can disregard your current statement about a disregard to the replacement cost.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Good points, wingless. My best friend is a lawyer, and he advises his clients to discontinue any communications pertaining to the case that are not reviewed by him first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks wingless and rpretzel for your thoughts. First, wingless, the comment to which you allude, that I would have paid $30K over MSRP was a comment borne purely out of my desire to own the GT500, as I believe the preceding sentence made clear. It in no way suggested I was willing to pay more simply because I believed I would eventually recover anything paid over MSRP through my action. That was not the case then, nor is is it now.

Rpretzel, I agree with your friend. I've conveyed nothing not easily obtained through a search of court records. All information stated is now in the public domain, as it has all been disclosed in filings.

Thanks for your insights and help!

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts