Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know why, but I just read the awfully biased article at Car and Driver..

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...omparison_test/2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500

Never heard of the referred to " Launch control " feature... Thought I would throw it out there.

For those who don't want to read the article, I've cut and pasted the section here:

The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

:confused:

Anyone want to verify this?? Modulation of engine power --- hmmm.. how does it do this with the pedal pushed to the floor? AND, what happens after the shift to second and then 3rd?

This is the first I've heard of a "launch control"...

TD

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I believe that was an old article written last year. This is why those guys should shouldn't be considered 'authorites'.
"3200 then dump the clutch and floor it" no wonder their times were off so much ."Launch control "LOL
We all know they dislike American cars and this article is a perfect example why I would never buy this magazine.

THIS IS WHY THEIR VIEW OF AMERICAN CARS IS WHAT IT IS.

A perfect example of "don't believe everything you read" without checking it out for yourself. lol

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Launch control = Practice + feathering.:D

ORF, be quiet.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh oh, looks like trouble.

·
Registered
359 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...omparison_test/2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500

Never heard of the referred to " Launch control " feature... Thought I would throw it out there.

For those who don't want to read the article, I've cut and pasted the section here:

The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

Anyone want to verify this?? Modulation of engine power --- hmmm.. how does it do this with the pedal pushed to the floor? AND, what happens after the shift to second and then 3rd?

TD
TrickyDick,

I have but one thing to say. After reading the hundreds of articles over the last couple of years, that have compared the GT500 to the Corvette, although the Corvette (moreover the Z06) is hailed as being quicker, faster, lighter, more aerodynamic, everyone of them will be rotting in a junkyard while the GT500s are still going strong and the reason is because we all own a true American muscle car that will stand the test of time. Anyone can own a Vette. They're a dime a dozen in my mind. If I were to win a Z06 tomorrow, I would trade it in to buy a second Shelby GT500. Personally, I have no use for a Vette.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts

TD
Well ive done a few hole shots with the traction control on and it seems to bog the car down, ill try it again and see if i can get a seat of the pants feeling for the differance. I usually let up and look around to make sure noone saw me because it kinda ****s up the hole act of doing a hole shot and kicking the car out sideways. But ive never kept my foot into it and banged second gear, ill let u know

·
Registered
2 Posts
i tried this 3200 rpm launch control on my '12 gt500, it works just not very well. I made a video, also i have shelby lower control arms and bmr control arm relocation brackets which is helping things a bit as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts