Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 3 months of delays and work, the KR hood was ready to show at Fun Ford Weekend yesterday. Took a few pics so you guys could see. I am pretty pleased. The hood locks work very well but were a pain to get installed right. There are some minor paint problems to be worked out but I don't think you can see them in the photos. All in all I am very pleased with what it has done for the look of the car. Don't know what my final body shop bill is yet but it ain't cheap....what you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
JC,
Your car is awesome.I think you did a great job all the way around.I really like the hood and the engine compartment.Wow

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Looks great JC that's the hood these cars should have come with from day one IMO.

Is that the true fiber hood ? where did you get it and how much before paint ?
Are the stripes painted on ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The photo makes the difference between the hood lip and the fender lip look more different than it is. The stock hood is different here too but the fiberglass hood is slightly more. I think the alignment may still need to be raised a bit on that side too.

Started life as a TruFiber Venom, about 925 delivered. Over 60hours of body work to get what you see. Stripes are painted on. Now I want the rest painted......oh well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love that hood! It looks great and the onlything better is what's inside. I wish I had the talent to make that sort of a look. I don't so I try and go fast :)

You're care is fantastic! Very nice work!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks simply fantastic!

Is is a Carbon fiber or fiberglass?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Very nice hood. The engine department something to be proud of. I agree I wish these cars would have come with this type of hood instead of what we have. I truly like the cold air aspect of it all going to the filter. And it looks mean as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
JC

kUDOS .... drop dead gorgeous ! Love the hood and the engine compartement is one of the most tasteful looking engine compartements I have seen !!!

Hell of a job !

·
Registered
28 Posts
take your time - Be careful with the "O" rings (a member on TS has posted a thread about a leaking issue because of cutting one on a sharp edge or something - I have not had issues like that).

Make sure to tighten the swivel connection in the fron very well. I did have a little leak issue there after messing with the swivel head and it loosened a little. I keep a couple of basic tools in the trunk and when i smelled it pulled over and was able to tighten it and soak up the fuel and have not had any more issues but i don't mess with the rails, or hoses, etc. anymore. I check it often and it has not loosedned so I don't think it is an issue to be overly worried about - just aware of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JC,
Car looks Awesome! The chrome wheels look sweet on blue cars and hood look great! I like the clear turn sigals too (nice touch). And the engine compartment.......nice - very tastefully done!

Good luck with the tuning session today! I hope the weather doesnt slow y'all down!

·
Registered
151 Posts
JC,
Car looks Awesome! The chrome wheels look sweet on blue cars and hood look great! I like the clear turn sigals too (nice touch). And the engine compartment.......nice - very tastefully done!

Good luck with the tuning session today! I hope the weather doesnt slow y'all down!

++1--very detailed---hood is great---a real head turner !!

·
Registered
795 Posts
take your time - Be careful with the "O" rings (a member on TS has posted a thread about a leaking issue because of cutting one on a sharp edge or something - I have not had issues like that).

Make sure to tighten the swivel connection in the fron very well. I did have a little leak issue there after messing with the swivel head and it loosened a little. I keep a couple of basic tools in the trunk and when i smelled it pulled over and was able to tighten it and soak up the fuel and have not had any more issues but i don't mess with the rails, or hoses, etc. anymore. I check it often and it has not loosedned so I don't think it is an issue to be overly worried about - just aware of.
Yea, i read that tread over on TS. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What was involved in the 60 hours of body work?
Fitting the hood
Reshaping top and bottom for the twist lok hood locks
Reshaping front lip to properly match body
Internally bonding the two skins for high speed rigidity
Fitting, bonding and filling louvered vents for integrated and flush top surface
Filling and finish sanding thousands of pinholes. This is fiberglass, not metal.
shaping the underside to clear strut mounts/bolts and intercooler reserviour and then finish smoothness for paint.
Paint, tie coat, stripes, clear and sand...repeat as necessary to get smooth finish
Fitting and painting the twist lok receiver brackets to the radiator support.
Installing the hood lifts and reinforcing the brackets for use on fiberglass.

There is a lot more to this than paint and install. Unless you want a hood that looks like a painted slab of fiberglass that does not fit well.....

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
sorry so much had to be done, but does look great. thank heaven Terry made mine, drove it home from up north and installed it. DONE! :D
+1 We got a great deal on ours. He even installed mine.:bandit:

Cal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts