Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this winter I would like to install a new supercharger on my 07 gt 500.I am leaning more toward the whipple.I am not worried about the warrenty on the car.If it blows I will just build a better engine.Anyway I would like to get close to 800 rwhp.Is this possible with either blower,I am afraid if I go twins the car will lose bottom end.Plus the supercharger sound is awesome, thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
both good SC's, but the TVS is sweeter IMO. Plus there's a new TB and plenum coming out soon, that mates right up with no additional tune required. this new TB has been tested against ALL others and beats them. Matches the monoblade performance from 5k and up. Drives like stock. There's a post about it over on teamshelby under the gt500 mods section. Do some thinking, decide what you ultimately want from the car and go for it. its just another option to consider...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was gonna purchase the KB and no I am confused between the tvs and the KB? The KB is gonna produce more power and so will the TVS over time once they come out with the right parts.
I like the idea of the TVS since it makes the car look more orig since it sais "ford racing" on it but I also lke big power and the TVS I could do alone in three hours? HHMMM?
Any real world feed back would be nice?

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the TVS unless you seek ultimate power.

This has been argued for years and became GREATLY heated between the 03/4 Cobra guys as to which was better.

Whipple for me, both from a durability/performance aspect and customer service. I doubt KB will match Whipple's c.s. any time soon.

As an unbiased opinion, neither unit shows any real advantage until you get to the bigger displacement units and start going for 800 and beyond.

Back to being biased on this though...

KB really has his nose in the air and I don't care for the company. I actually wanted to buy a KB in '04 originally, but I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone for MONTHS (2 months to be exact) it either was busy or rang forever.

To me, it holds no bearing that they were chosen for the SuperSnake. I find it kind of funny that Whipple is now also a supplier.

Only other thing to think about is who probably has the most experience putting the compressors through real-world abuse...Whipple. Look in any large offshore speedboat and likelyhood is you'll find 2+ Big block Chevy based engines with Whipples on them...each making God awful power for sustained periods....just something to think about.

And BTW if you ask real nice...you can have "Ford Racing" stickers to go down the side of your Whipple :) if you get the black unit it will look pretty factory.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ultimately want power,best bang for the buck.I called whipple and they took time to answer my questions,that means a lot.I don't think the tvs will compare to the other superchargers. What about Helloin? I called kenne bell about a car that I was working on and they were rude.My goal is 800 rwhp on a mix of fuel.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I ultimately want power,best bang for the buck.I called whipple and they took time to answer my questions,that means a lot.I don't think the tvs will compare to the other superchargers. What about Helloin? I called kenne bell about a car that I was working on and they were rude.My goal is 800 rwhp on a mix of fuel.
Whipple is good. But if you want real big numbers, then Evo's TT Hellion would be it...but if i were to do that, i'd be beefing up the lower end though...

im happy with my tvs and numbers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Big Boy Whipple 3.4 and don't look back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Going turbo is a different story, haha,

Hellion has very nice systems and are also known for being a great company. Just know that the car won't have the "hit" down below 3500RPM like it does now...but after that...OMG the sky is the limit basically. (well, ok the stock lower end starts wimpering..)

·
Registered
44 Posts
KB or Whipple will blow your mind and anyone that rides in your car with you.
I had the same concern as you about KB before I bought a twin screw.
I ultimately went with a KB and I am glad I did.

KB's customer service is just fine. They have improved greatly and their R&D is equal or better than an OEM.

I got all caught up in the customer service thing, so I purposely called KB and Whipple many times to ask them all kinds of questions before I bought. Do yourself a favor and do the same with both companies. Whipple's Customer service is not any better.

The KB is built with a better rotor housing. It's not a casting like the Whipple. Does it matter at the end of the day....probably not for our street driven cars. The KB stage lll, includes a dual throttle body, and in my opinion is better than a lg mono blade for driveability. KB and Whipple use the same rotor MFG.

The look of the Whipple is just plain bad ass though! There are plenty of companies that have kits for the Whipple, so the Whipple install is probably no different then the KB.

The KB is good for 800rwhp with the stock fuel system and is 50 state legal. I think with upgraded fuel parts, these cars will make 1000+rwhp with the KB or Whipple.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably max out the stock blower setup...lol Just because of tire size, because one can't use all that power unless drag radials are used.
I installed 12" wide wheels with 335 Michelin Pilot Sports and I could boil them at 75mph on the freeway.

Now the car is mini tubbed with 345 drag radials, Currie 9" rear end and drive shaft....it works great. But I went through a lot of money to get the car to really be able to use the HP that is now available. Now I replace $800 in tires every 5000 miles.

To make these cars haul ass on the street, you don't need spend all this money.

Don't get all caught up in the twin screw craze here in the forums. The tire is what it's all about in these cars. Figure out what you are going to do with tires, then go from there.

As far as KB or Whipple, buy whatever twin screw flicks you bic, and you will be happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, one more thing; if you install a KB, Whipple, or TVS, you can kiss your warranty goodbye.
If you stay with a stock blower but add all the aftermarket stuff to it, it's a lot easier to put back to stock if you damage your engine and need warranty work.

All though, if you have Ford install the TVS, the warranty is not voided. You see people on the forum say they don't care about the warranty and will just replace the motor if something happens on their own dime. I think that's a bunch of bullshit myself. My car has 5600 miles on it and if I blow the engine up, you can be dam sure I will change back to the stock blower--and that would be a major pain. The warranty is a major concern when modifying these cars. Do it smartly.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Anyone know if you get enough engine lowering by adding a Grigg's ST Full suspension in order to clear the 3.4 Whipple without hood notching?

I heard that you can use larger pulley with the Whipple C/W with the TVS to make same power (assume this means less risk for belt slippage, less heat, less parasitic losses), but I've nothing to back that up with.

Thought about adding a Hellion, but why? Its going to suck road debris/water etc and mine is a DD, so that's out. Plus you're going to start breaking stuff unless you fortify the stock innards. Getting that power to the street is also another matter entirely.

As an aside, I saw a mag at work lying around about 10 sec F.A.S.T. bracket racing. Factory Appearance Stock Tires. They had a 73 Vette I believe and an older 60's something Road Runner doing low 10's on STOCK TIRES..... These were big block engines, naturally aspirated, high compression engines. I think one had the heads and intake ported and Extrude-honed, "heavily modded" (whatever that's supposed to mean), and then treated to give it an "as-cast" appearance. Anyone had any experience extrude-honing their heads or intake systems?

TD

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello this winter I would like to install a new supercharger on my 07 gt 500.I am leaning more toward the whipple.I am not worried about the warrenty on the car.If it blows I will just build a better engine.Anyway I would like to get close to 800 rwhp.Is this possible with either blower,I am afraid if I go twins the car will lose bottom end.Plus the supercharger sound is awesome, thanks
Read the June issue of modded mustang....they exited 6 rods through the side of the block when they got to 800 hp....if that is really your goal do the rods first and if you are going that far I would do the FGT cams and massage the heads while it is apart as well.

The Whipple, KB and TVS are all good; I steered away from KB due to the low oil change interval (10k vs 100k on Whipple and TVS) and their piss poor response (timeframe and quality of answers) to the technical questions I asked before buying.

Really it comes down to personal choice, I went with the 2.9 Whipple and am happy with it but the TVS is a good piece; comparing dyno graphs with another local who uses the same tuner and has similar mods the TVS is stronger at lower RPM, mine is stronger at higher RPM. I think the 3.4 Whipple is the ultimate bad boy, I just didn't want to run a different hood or lower the engine but know people who have and are happy with it...again, personal choices but if you are going for the highest output the 3.4 will get you there.

If you truly plan to run 800 rwhp you are going to be running 116 race gas or at minimum 94 with plenty of Torco...no way you will be able to run the agressive timing needed to get that hp on pump gas alone, it isn't just add more boost and go.

Last suggestion is to try and get a ride in someone's car who has done major mods...other than bragging rights 800 rwhp is only going to do anything for you on the track with the right tires and major suspension/stiffening mods...I am at 813 at the flywheel and it will break the tires free in 3rd gear at 60 MPH on the highway on stock tires...you aren't going to see all that HP to the ground until 4th...talk to the guys at Evo and ask them what they needed to do to get their project cars to hook when they got to the 800 rwhp threshold...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am really leaning toward the whipple,I called a tuning shop they told me to just go with the 2.9 whipple,they say the 3.4 makes about the same power and it isn't worth the hassleof buying a hood or lowering the suspension,It sounds like it doesn't really matter which one I go with I will be happy,We do these mods to cars and you allways want more or you say I should of done this,Some shops try to push what they sell and you don't get a honest opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm adding a Whipple 3.4 this winter as well. I did much research on all the options. Hellion/whipple 2.9/KB/TVS/Vortech

It came down to the KB and Whipple 3.4. (I already have a raised hood so the Whipple 2.9 wasn't needed.) Both systems can easily reach 800rwhp. The looks and PERF per $$ of the Whipple 3.4 gives the whipple the edge. The sound of the KB is a great, but the BIG price kills it. And I"m not a big fan of how the KB looks under the hood. Looks cheap compared to the Whipple.

Also, there are quite a few Whipple 3.4's running at 800rwhp without race fuel. On a stock block I would stay right around 700 rwhp... like stated above 700 rwhp will more than a handful to keep on the road.

2.9 VS 3.4 Whipple... they claim the same power, BUT out of all the dyno sheets I have seen the 2.9 whipple's showed less POWER than a 3.4 Whipple at the same boost.

KB claims to be more efficient than the Whipple which WAS true until Whipple changed their rotor designs. Now from comparing hundreds of dynos I see higher numbers at the same boost lvls from the Whipple 3.4 which could be alot to do with better tunes... I don't know. Both are good superchargers and you can't go wrong with either one.

Hellion kit was another option, but to get the same results I would have to spend thousands more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input I will most likley put the 3.4 on my car.Bogart will come first.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Go with a Whipple blower Kenne Bells customer service sucksssssssssssssssss I had s 2.6H and sold it off they have a ok product but they suck!!!!! man I feel like i am holding back here LOL
Thanks for all the input I will most likley put the 3.4 on my car.Bogart will come first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts