Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 23k mile 2008 car bolt on at the moment makes 550whp as it sits and I'm trying to decide which blower to get as I'm tired of losing races to expensive supercars lol. I'm between the vmp gen3rss, the gen 5 whipple and the 3.2 liquid cooled kenne bell. But I think im leaning slightly towards the kb i need to know Which one is better/more efficent and why? I also would like to know everyones iat's and boost levels and how quickly you heat soak. I'm looking for around 700-750whp off the bat but more in the future so i want a blower that will grow with me. I know theres a big discussion going on about the 2.8 kb and the 3.6 vs the gen3r but nothing on the 3.2 so any input would be appreciated thanks in advance. Also does will the 3.2 lc kenne bell fit under the stock hood with no modifications?

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,408 Posts
I've had good service from Whipple.
2011 - 2.9 Whipple, 776rwhp, boost = 19.40, car runs a custom tune.
2014 - 3.4 Whipple, detuned to 780rwhp, boost = 19.21, car runs a custom tune.
The 3.4 fits under a stock hood with an engine drop kit & a hood blanket mod.
.................Have no experience with KB or VMP..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,001 Posts
So i have a 23k mile 2008 car bolt on at the moment makes 550whp as it sits and I'm trying to decide which blower to get as I'm tired of losing races to expensive supercars lol. I'm between the vmp gen3rss, the gen 5 whipple and the 3.2 liquid cooled kenne bell. But I think im leaning slightly towards the kb i need to know Which one is better/more efficent and why? I also would like to know everyones iat's and boost levels and how quickly you heat soak. I'm looking for around 700-750whp off the bat but more in the future so i want a blower that will grow with me. I know theres a big discussion going on about the 2.8 kb and the 3.6 vs the gen3r but nothing on the 3.2 so any input would be appreciated thanks in advance. Also does will the 3.2 lc kenne bell fit under the stock hood with no modifications?
First off, all 3 would be an awesome upgrade! A friend had the 3.2 in his old 2011 and loved it. Yes, it fits under the stock hood. I have a gen 1 2.9 Whipple that I’ve been running for 8 years... love it! I’m making 17 pounds of boost and my IAT2 temp starts at about 30-35 degrees above ambient, but quickly rises into heat soak after pulls during the summer.

I believe the TVS is the easiest install. If you like whine, the blowers with the most to least whine would be KB, Whipple then TVS.

While you are upgrading, consider a better intercooler, heat exchanger and pump. It will help you have more usable power during the warm months.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I merged your 2 identical threads and deleted your duplicate post.

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Reactions: 638_gt500

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!

I merged your 2 identical threads and deleted your duplicate post.

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Thanks. Yeah i posted this in suspension by mistake at 1st lol. I'll definitely introduce myself and post my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, all 3 would be an awesome upgrade! A friend had the 3.2 in his old 2011 and loved it. Yes, it fits under the stock hood. I have a gen 1 2.9 Whipple that I’ve been running for 8 years... love it! I’m making 17 pounds of boost and my IAT2 temp starts at about 30-35 degrees above ambient, but quickly rises into heat soak after pulls during the summer.

I believe the TVS is the easiest install. If you like whine, the blowers with the most to least whine would be KB, Whipple then TVS.

While you are upgrading, consider a better intercooler, heat exchanger and pump. It will help you have more usable power during the warm months.
I have an afco heat exchanger. Stock intercooler coil and ic pump tho. How much power did your buddy make with the 3.2lc and at what boost level & pulley size? Also what are his iat's like? How much power are u making on your 2.9?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,001 Posts
I have an afco heat exchanger. Stock intercooler coil and ic pump tho. How much power did your buddy make with the 3.2lc and at what boost level & pulley size? Also what are his iat's like? How much power are u making on your 2.9?
My buddy sold that car a handful of years ago. I don’t remember the specifics, but he did love that 3.2.

I’m running the complete Ford Racing 750hp 2.9L Whipple kit. Ford rated it at 750 crank hp. My car put 630 to the wheels on a hot summer day in Texas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3.4 fits on a stock hood with an engine drop kit & a hood blanket mod.
What gen whipple? 2.9 fits under stock hood without carving or lowering motor? Im basiclly trying to keep ppl thinking its still a bolt on car and take ppls money once i change the blower lol.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
What gen whipple? 2.9 fits under stock hood without carving or lowering motor? Im basiclly trying to keep ppl thinking its still a bolt on car and take ppls money once i change the blower lol.
Blower was installed in 2014, late 2013 mfg., whatever gen was being sold @ the time..

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The 3.4 fits under a stock hood with an engine drop kit & a hood blanket mod.
......................From post # 2..

·
Registered
2013 Black/Black SVTPP
336 Posts
3.2LC Kenne Bell may require underhood notching, see below thread, but it's not noticable when the hood is closed. However, it's going to be a bit difficult to convince someone you've just beaten / taken money from that the car is only bolt-on when the noise from under you're hood signals otherwise (ie. could trigger a messy post race situation as it's kind of obvious you don't have a stock blower, take a listen to my 3.2 below). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Reality is that, as with most mods, most people only have had one experience and have never done an A/B comparison. So what you're getting for in response is people's direct opinions of their own set-up and a theory as to why they think it's the best.

With respect to Whipple 2.9 vs TVS 2.3 and KB 2.8...from when I made my decision:
1) The VMP TVS was the cheapest option.
2) The VMP 2.3 (2.3 in general), was also the easiest to install option. I understand the 2.9 Whipple isn't that much more challenging. One forum member here installed a KB on his own, and it was a lot of work. There are supplementary installation guides to the supplementary installation guides. After all that, he ended up with significantly less power than my cheaper plug n play 2.3,
3) 2.9 vs my Gen 2r TVS will make similar power. 3 caveats. 1) The tvs is probably a little torquier 2) the 2.9 probably breathes and creates both power up top. If you're gunning for 650-700 whp, they're probably almost identically good solutions. 3) Look at 1 Alibi 2. a 2.9 will have more headroom that an 2.3. I think there are guys in the 800whp range on a 2.3TVS, but you're pushing it.

I don't know much about the gens you're speaking about...so sorry about rambling on about the lesser models. Knowing what I know now, I think the 2.65 cost is no longer an advantage. I also think that the plug-n-play advantage of a gen 3r is no longer an advantage. I would myself give a serious consideration to the Whipple. The 2.65 is killing it in the GT500...easily making 1000whp, but you just wonder if they popped a 3.2 whipple in there.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,417 Posts
What fuel, how much boost, what supporting mods? It depends! All three can easily blow up your car.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,766 Posts
I fairly recently did the VMP GEN2R. I was torn hard between that and the Whipple, but for the price, I went TVS. Unless you're going to build the motor, any of them will be great. If you're looking to build the motor at some point, then consider the big boys.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Who will be tuning the car & what was their input ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who will be tuning the car & what was their input ??
Idk for sure who's gunna be tuning it yet. If i end up getting the gen3rss I'm gunna have vmp tune it if i do anything else more then likely lund or a local guy nicky notch that everyone with a terminator/gt500 on long island swears by.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I fairly recently did the VMP GEN2R. I was torn hard between that and the Whipple, but for the price, I went TVS. Unless you're going to build the motor, any of them will be great. If you're looking to build the motor at some point, then consider the big boys.
How many #s of boost are u running? Yeah I'm gunna build the motor in a few years so the 2.3 tvs isnt even somthing id consider. Vmp gen3rss is the only tvs blower id consider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3.2LC Kenne Bell may require underhood notching, see below thread, but it's not noticable when the hood is closed. However, it's going to be a bit difficult to convince someone you've just beaten / taken money from that the car is only bolt-on when the noise from under you're hood signals otherwise (ie. could trigger a messy post race situation as it's kind of obvious you don't have a stock blower, take a listen to my 3.2 below). Good luck!

Lol bro that thing sounds so badass. How much boost are u running? How hard was your install? What pulley size? What other mods do u have?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What fuel, how much boost, what supporting mods? It depends! All three can easily blow up your car.
Gunna keep it on pump gas for now atleast 93 octane always using lucas octane booster to make sure I'm getting atleast 93 but the car will be tuned for 93. Only supporting mods i really have is an afco heat exchanger. I'm gunna do a 170* stat and probably a mcloud rxt twin disc 1k hp and a bigger ic pump before i do the blower but i Took a trip to pa Saturday drove the car kinda hard on the way home had some fun on the pa turnpike 276 with 2 porches, a 2019 gt3 and a 2014 base 911. I was faster then the base 911 but not the gt3 i think thats a given tho lol we crossed the nj line at about 140. That being said the entire time i was moving iats didnt go over 100*f. I'm gunna run whatever ammount of boost i need on either of those blowers to get me just north of 700whp.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts