Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Finally had my kit installed yesterday and all went well up until we started the car. It was so rich the smoke was black coming out the pipe. So, the tuner/installer decided do do a pull and the car was so rich the air/fuel was in the low 9's and the car only puller 557 rwhp.

So, after many hrs of re-tuning we where able to squeeze out 659 rwhp on the supplied 3 inch pulley(stage 3 kit) but we could not get the car to idle below 1500 rpm since the tuner could not figure out the electronic throttle body to contol the idle? Air/fuel at 11.3 WOT

So, after hrs and hrs I decided to pack up and come home(5hrs ride with an enclosed trailer) and he is gonna figure it out and e-mail me a patch?

Anybody using the stock mail program supplied by KB in the kit? Or, did your tuner re-prog the car and what were the results?

Oh, and the best part is the 3'' pulley also rubs on the hood 1 inch beside the required cut out? What do do about that? Notch the hood again in a second place? Not in the instructions?

So, 10k later my shelby is in my garage because it runs like shit and the pulley is rubbing on the hood. please help with any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So let me clarify something here.
-Your tuner installed the supplied Kenne Bell Stg.3 tune, or he installed his own custom tune that he created? It sounds like from what you posted your tuner made his own tune for the car. Who is the tuner/installer? You MUST be a Certified SCT Calibrator to even access the Drive by Wire Tables. I'm figuring your tuner is not a Calibrator since you said the tuner could not figure out the electronic throttle body to contol the idle. He is kidding himself if he thinks he can tune a GT500 with the upgraded Stg.3 KB Throttle Body without being able to access the Drive by Wire Tables in the software. Just ain't gonna happen!

If he did indeed use his own tune, I would go out to the car right now and upload the supplied Kenne Bell Stg.3 Tune that was included with the kit and be done. I know multiple GT500's that have Stg.3 KB Mammoth 2.8 kits and use the supplied KB Tune with no problem making great power. Why would you pay someone to write a new tune when you get a perfectly good one from KB with the kit??????

If you load a "known good tune" and still have these issue's, then it has to be something not installed/set properly like the Diablo MAFia is set wrong or the KB Boost A Pump is on the fritz?

The only other suggestion I would have is to order the Evolution Performance/Jon Lund Mail Order Tune for KB GT500. Supposed to be the best KB GT500 Mail Tune available created by the master GT500 Tuner himself Jon Lund. Plus Lund tweaks the Drive by Wire tables making it drive and idle like a champ.

Keep us updated......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tuner is a cert SCT tuner but could not figure out the tables on the drive by wire? I just went out for a ride after loading the KB provided tune and the car seems to have less on the bottom and more on the top. It "hit" harder with the 2.65 pulley/cold air set up? I am not very impressed and I would think the "install" has been done to perfection since these guys do S/C cars all day long? Who knows? All I know is that I am really bummed out right now.

I guess I should contact evolution and purchase a new tune and try it? I also had to grind the hood a very little bit to allow the pulley not to rub on the hood? Why did that happen. I know they had to cut out as per the supplied template but why is my 3'' pulley hitting the hood ever to slighlty?

Once on the dyno. The tuner seen the air/fuel and decided the tune supplied by KB was very very safe and it did not make the power as stated? So, he tuned it himslef and it made like 60 more RWHP and just had a hanging idle. He is supose to send me a file tomorow with the fix? I might just by-pass that and buy the Jon Lund tune as per your suggestion. He did not charge me for a re-tune since he did not complete it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Relax. I know how you feel after spending a lot of money and have problems. 1st, call KB. I believe they will work with you and it should be a simple problem and they should be able to work with you & your tuner to get the problem resolved. I heard good about their customer service.

Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out to drive the car again and now it says "fail safe mode" on the cluster. I will call KB tomorow and hope for answers so I could drive this beast?

I am just gonna have to take your advise Shelby08cobra and relax and wait. I just hope their is no damage and I don't have to haul it back 5hrs to the install shop because they messed up on the install?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have a mechanical/electrical malfunction if it went into fail safe mode. Basically the ECU is seeing a certain parameter or "PID" that is way off, or is not reading at all, so the ECU activated fail safe mode to prevent any damage until the problem is fixed. It sure sounds like a sensor connector isn't pluged in all the way or something. You should scan it for trouble codes with your SCT Tuner's "OBDII Scan" feature. If you get some codes, they may point you in the right direction to what is causing the problems. I have a feeling it has to do with the drive by wire sensors. Their are multiple TP sensors for redundancy in case one of them fails. Plus something may have gone wrong with the parts swap from the stock throttle body to the KB throttle body.

Getting back to the tune issue, plenty of guys are making 700+ rwhp with the Kenne Bell Stg.3 Tune that comes with the kit with only headers and the KB Mammoth, and that tune "hit's" pretty damn hard down low. If your Air/Fuel Ratio was in the 9's with he KB supplied tune, something else is wrong my friend like a loose vacuum line or the MAfia or Boost a Pumps are not set properly. It should never see 9 with that tune. That is ultra pig rich!

Your tuner maybe a Certified SCT Tuner, but being an "SCT Calibrator" is on a whole different level. Like I said, you CAN NOT make changes to the Drive By Wire tables unless you are an SCT Calibrator, so your wasting your time and money if your tuner is not a Calibrator because you can't tune a GT500 with that huge KB T-Body unless you get the drive by wire functions adjusted properly in the tune.

Once you straighten out your fail safe/gremlin that's holding you back, I would try the KB supplied Stg.3 tune and if your not satisfied with that then get the Jon Lund Tune from Evolution specificaly for the GT500 Kenne Bell Stg.3 Mammoth which is the best tune going for the KB Mammoth GT500.

You are the first case of the pulley hitting the hood that I've ever heard? I would ask KB when you have them on the phone. Also make sure that the KB supplied tune matches the ECU Tag/Calibration Code for your ECU under the hood. It will have a small white sticker on it with the Calibration code. Just make sure they match up. Just be patient and fix the "bug" first, then worry about how the tune performs. I feel for you after spending that kind of dough and being where yourat right now, but hang in there. Once you straighten it all out that thing is gonna rip and you will love it. IMO the KB 2.8 Mammoth is the best performing kit out there for the GT500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, called kenny bell today and they confirmed that they have had only two 3.25 inch pulleys hit hoods out of "all" the KB's they sold for the GT500. They do not want to compansate me for my messed up hood at all. They are sending me a comp 3'' pulley as wel as the 3.25'' they told me to never put on again. I should have listened to the feedback I found on this forum in regards to poor customer service since that is what was mostly said. Oh, they are also sending me a t-shirt for my troubles

As fas as my "tune" goes I am awaiting a tune from Evolution as well as the 3'' pulley that KB is suppose to send me overnight via UPS.

At that point, I will make my own assumption of the kit and it's performance since I am not impressed as of yet at all. I should have been made aware of the possible hitting as well as the poor performance from the "canned" tune as well as the one my tuner created. Not impressed and I want a new hood.

To know what i know now, this kit would have not went into my car period! Please give me some educated feedback!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is the status/diagnosis of the Fail Safe condition? Did you ask KB about it? I can't stress enough that the issue causing the Fail Safe activation must be repaired before you do anything else with tunes or pully's. I can't see how KB's tune is causing this, so it has to be something under the hood isn't right. Did you scan it for codes? You should do this so you can resolve the Fail Safe problem. It may be something simple that a DTC code that you retrieve could lead you right to the problem. I am a Certified Ford Dealer Technician and this is the first step in fixing you problems. I would not steer you wrong. Even before Fail Safe was activated, the ECU could have been trying to correct the underlying problem causing the car to not perform well. Scan the car and let me know the codes.

The Evolution/Lund tune is great, but I think you have more than just a tune problem if you say the KB Stg.3 Tune is weak. I have driven and ridden in STG3. KB GT500's with only headers with the KB supplied tune and they friggen screw, very impressive with no lag down low, just instant power when you hit the gas. FWIW - I have driven 9 sec. cars so I know what a fast car feels like.

I'll buy the KB Kit from you if you want out. Just let me know. I am serious.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have no idea what is going on with your car, but I installed the Stage 3 kit on my 2007 GT500 myself and had no issues at all for over 10K miles with the system on the car. I also ran the canned tune that KB sent with the kit.

Do you know what strategy the tune you received was for? There were different versions used on the GT500's of various years. Maybe you have the wrong tune for your vehicle?

Not to put salt on a wound but, in my case, I did not even have to make the notch in the hood brace to clear the blower, so I'm not sure why yours is rubbing/hitting.

Good luck in figuring it out. Once you have everything worked out, you will love the newfound power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have/had similar issues with mine. Installed my KB stage 3 with 3.25" pulley, pulley rubbed the hood about an inch to the right of the cutout. tons of black smoke on my first dyno run and my #'s were pretty low- 618HP and around 560 torque. Soon after I changed to a 3" pulley and my #'s are now around 645HP and 625 torque with a 10.8 A/F. I'm not sure what my A/F was on the 3.25" dyno run because I didn't have a wideband at that point. I'm guessing it was low 10's. The 3" pulley still rubs the hood under hard cornering/acceleration. I have a nice gouge mark in my hood now from the rubbing.
I'm also only running a tad over 16lbs of boost which seems low for the 3" pulley.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am currently changing out the pulley as well as the "neck" of the brand new supercharger. When removing the pulley bolts(4) they had so much loctite from KB production line that one snapped upon removal. I could not get it out and snapped an extractor in the hole. You could just imagine how pissed I was at that point. Kenne was not my best friend let me tell you. I could not use heat since their is a seal right their. So, I called KB they sent me a new one(at no charge) and they also included the 3 inch pulley and said they will no longuer be using loctite on pulley bolts? He recomended me to install them dry. I used low strength loctite?

This has been a nightmare from day one. They also say the pulley rubbing is an isoltated issue which is bullshit. I did lots of research and many many are hitting? Why who knows? It's either inconsistante build from FORD or KB? I would bet KB

I will keep you posted when I get time to complete the pulley/neck swap or burn the whole compressor. I am not impressed at all with KB period

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wish you luck. The good thing is that at least, KB is working with you. Trust me it could be worst. I worked with a dealer (not on here) called Psi Performance or something like that. They are horrible, they take your money but if you have a problem they will screw you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
3" pulley with rub mark around the edge:

Mark on the hood from the pulley hitting it:

Is this the same area where yours is rubbing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was looking to purchase the kb setup in a few weeks. from reading posts i thought it was rare to have the pulley rub. if i have to butcher the hood i dont want that set up. so from the forum is it best to go with the ford setup? or is kb the way to go?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I sold my TVS to pick up this Kenne Bell. Truth be told, I wish I'd of kept the TVS. On pump gas the HP numbers I'm at now aren't much more than what I had with my TVS. Installation was much easier with the TVS and it fit like stock. Now I've got a hood all cut up and marked up.
To be fair the KB probably has a lot more HP potential, but that's running race gas, which I don't do. It drives fine and sounds great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
im sure the kb is a good setup. i dont want to chop up anything to install it. i just want to get a little more hp out of it. i figured with the kb there was room to go if i wanted to do more later. i just picked up my 2009 gt 500. came from 09 z06 that pulled like a rocket. just want that seat of the pants feel the z had.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey arki....that looks like my hood! It sucks that my hood got bitched from mis-information from KB. I have been calling them and I will keep talking shit t-il they replace my hood. I figure they prob bought 3 hoods buy now from the business they lost from my real life experience with this kit.

I metionned to them that they we should be made aware that the hood might hit the pulley and create a new notch besides the one that is required in the installation guide? Not to mention it scares that crap out of ya when it does rub/hit, ruines the pulley/belt and you must re-tune more$$$$ for the 3 inch pulley. I hate working backwards and that's what I have been doign from the day this kit was installed.

Buy the TVS and keep you warranty-not worth the headache/B.S to gain 20-30 HP I.M.O. To know what I know now the TVS would be under my hood and I would not have a butchered up hood. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts