Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried search, but no luck.
Anyone tried this kit? How is the sound and performance?
They claim 50hp, but do not mention programming change. Is it needed?
I know there are other kits out there, but they require programming change. I want to keep same program for now.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I know there are other kits out there, but they require programming change. I want to keep same program for now.

Thanks,
Tom
I've seen mention of the K&N on other sites. K&N claims 50hp with no tune. Evolution Performance (sells the JLT CAI with an SCT tune) is very skeptical of this product. Without a tune you risk running dangerously lean. I seem to recall someone testing the product and they got about 20hp, and the dyno figures indicated a very lean setup.

I'm not very knowledgable of this kind of thing. I'm just relaying what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Thanks,
Tom
Yes,if you change the intake you have to change the tune.
I don't think K and N claims are correct and Rpretzel is correct on running lean.I have a JLT coldair intake with an SCT tune(highly recommend)You can buy from evolution performance,Pa. or from jlttruecoldair.com.It is evolution performance tune with JLT intake.Same same.Using the SCT tuner is easy.If you need help do a search or post HELP and we'll help you.Nothing to it though.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Thanks,
Tom
Hi there Tom,
I have been looking into doing the same. I have been looking at the JLT, Steeda, K&N, Roush and now I've found out that Ford Racing Parts are going to be releasing one, the same way they made one for the Mustang GT. There is no word on a release date, but the guy on the phone there seemed to hint that it would be in the next month or so.
I think that I'll wait and see what it looks like before I buy either one. I am pretty sure that Ford will release another program with it when they sell you the CAI...
Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed the JLT CAI and tune last Saturday and had the combination dyno'd as well.

Stock - 418 rwhp
SCT-X2 standard tune only - 465 rwhp
JLT CAI and tune - 495 rwhp

I would recommend buying the SCT-X2 and installing the standard tune before installing a cold air intake without a tune.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi there Tom,
I have been looking into doing the same. I have been looking at the JLT, Steeda, K&N, Roush and now I've found out that Ford Racing Parts are going to be releasing one, the same way they made one for the Mustang GT. There is no word on a release date, but the guy on the phone there seemed to hint that it would be in the next month or so.
I think that I'll wait and see what it looks like before I buy either one. I am pretty sure that Ford will release another program with it when they sell you the CAI...
Just some food for thought.

95% sure Im going with the Steeda tune/cai. My sons 2004 cobra uses the Steeda and I know of a few others with it on their Gt500s. If their claims are true it seems the best hp without going to a pulley, 97 rwhp. They have their own elbow that comes with it.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_gt500_cold_air_intake_kit.php

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
95% sure Im going with the Steeda tune/cai. My sons 2004 cobra uses the Steeda and I know of a few others with it on their Gt500s. If their claims are true it seems the best hp without going to a pulley, 97 rwhp. They have their own elbow that comes with it.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_gt500_cold_air_intake_kit.php
I really like the look of the carbon fiber JLT CAI, but Steeda claims 10 more hp for $100 less. AC_Cobra, let us all know if you get the Steeda, and share some dyno numbers.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I want the blue filter!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really like the look of the carbon fiber JLT CAI, but Steeda claims 10 more hp for $100 less. AC_Cobra, let us all know if you get the Steeda, and share some dyno numbers.
I think Steeda claims about 10hp from their bigger elbow. From what I have heard the inside of the JLT is very rough maybe causing some air flow issues, not sure about that though.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think Steeda claims about 10hp from their bigger elbow. From what I have heard the inside of the JLT is very rough maybe causing some air flow issues, not sure about that though.
AC_Cobra My feelings exactly with regard to the inside portion of the JLT as being rough. I am not sure how much this affected air flow but it appeared obvious enough that I asked JLT to address my carbon fibre elbow and they did so without hesitation. The JLT looks great with Tungsten.:)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
AC_Cobra My feelings exactly with regard to the inside portion of the JLT as being rough. I am not sure how much this affected air flow but it appeared obvious enough that I asked JLT to address my carbon fibre elbow and they did so without hesitation. The JLT looks great with Tungsten.:)

What did they do?Curious.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What did they do?Curious.
They sanded the interior the best they could but never as smooth as a metal elbow. But then again a metal elbow would retain the heat.:rolleyes: Still the best on the market as far as I am concerned, at least for now.;) An easy fix if you spend the time. Pony difference? Well I will leave that to the tale of the tape.:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I emailed Steeda specifically about their pulley size and the added boost. They came back that it is a 2.7 inch, but did not mention boost. I then asked how they got by the belt slack without a tensioner. He said they had no reported problems of belt slippage, but that they were looking into an idler pulley for folks that use the boost a lot (racing).

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I emailed Steeda specifically about their pulley size and the added boost. They came back that it is a 2.7 inch, but did not mention boost. I then asked how they got by the belt slack without a tensioner. He said they had no reported problems of belt slippage, but that they were looking into an idler pulley for folks that use the boost a lot (racing).
You asked the right questions oldimp, but I did not like the response. I am a little surprised, especially for such an outfit as Steeda.:confused: Evolution's 2.6 and 2.8 pulley require the idler on the stock belt, so I would imagine a 2.7 would as well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You asked the right questions oldimp, but I did not like the response. I am a little surprised, especially for such an outfit as Steeda.:confused: Evolution's 2.6 and 2.8 pulley require the idler on the stock belt, so I would imagine a 2.7 would as well.
The responses were short and to the point and didn't answer all my questions. Such as the boost, which I figure is an additional 3 psi based on the reports heard from the 2.6 and 2.8 Evolution pulleys which resulted in 2 and 4 psi respectively.

Maybe I need to dig into the Steeda site deeper, but I couldn't determine if they offered the parts in a package form like Evolution does. I did ask about that in my emails to Steeda. I would want the SCT to already have the program installed. The way it is advertised makes you think you have to take the pieces to a speed shop and get them to dyno them in for you, taking exhaust gas measurements I guess.

I keep coming back to Evolution! They knew what the customer was going to want it seems.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The responses were short and to the point and didn't answer all my questions. Such as the boost, which I figure is an additional 3 psi based on the reports heard from the 2.6 and 2.8 Evolution pulleys which resulted in 2 and 4 psi respectively.

Maybe I need to dig into the Steeda site deeper, but I couldn't determine if they offered the parts in a package form like Evolution does. I did ask about that in my emails to Steeda. I would want the SCT to already have the program installed. The way it is advertised makes you think you have to take the pieces to a speed shop and get them to dyno them in for you, taking exhaust gas measurements I guess.

I keep coming back to Evolution! They knew what the customer was going to want it seems.
oldimp, Fred at Evolution is a true professional and has sold me nothing but top quality components and he has emailed me numerous tunes for the Shelby. It is quite simple to do and although the SCT tuner only holds 3 tunes, the lap top is endless. I have upgraded stock tunes, with and without the JLT CAI, for 2.6 pulley, and with 93 octane for street use and 93 and 100 octane for track use only. Don't worry about having the tunes on the programmer as you will be changing them as you install different modifications and want a programmer who can accomodate your modifications that you can rely on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts