Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished the k-member install on my 09 Shelby GT500, I ran into 2 big obstacles, 1 taking the rack and pinion off without disconnecting the hydraulic lines and 2 getting the bmr A-arms to fit into the bmr k- member, both issues were solved just took some time, the fit good but not perfect, one thing I noticed after everything was bolted on and the car was on the ground is the passenger side wheel seems to be pushed out further than the driver's side, has anyone who's done this installation experienced that issue? I haven't driven the car yet and haven't taken it to get an alignment, I would like to hear about any issues anyone has experienced with this installation.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
Finally finished the k-member install on my 09 Shelby GT500, I ran into 2 big obstacles, 1 taking the rack and pinion off without disconnecting the hydraulic lines and 2 getting the bmr A-arms to fit into the bmr k- member, both issues were solved just took some time, the fit good but not perfect, one thing I noticed after everything was bolted on and the car was on the ground is the passenger side wheel seems to be pushed out further than the driver's side, has anyone who's done this installation experienced that issue? I haven't driven the car yet and haven't taken it to get an alignment, I would like to hear about any issues anyone has experienced with this installation.
Got any pictures of the install or the wheel sticking out further?

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some pictures I took of both sides, like I mentioned I haven't gotten an alignment yet, it was the first thing I noticed when I got the car off the jack stands.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Camber could account for that sort of difference. Do you have adjustable strut mounts? Has the car been moved since you got it off the jackstands? Try moving it sveral feet back and pull it back forward. Moving the car should settle the suspension if the geometry is jacked from taking it off the ramps. Measure the ride height too. One side higher or lower than the other may affect camber as well. I have an aftermarket K on my car, but it is not BMR.

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camber could account for that sort of difference. Do you have adjustable strut mounts? Has the car been moved since you got it off the jackstands? Try moving it sveral feet back and pull it back forward. Moving the car should settle the suspension if the geometry is jacked from taking it off the ramps. Measure the ride height too. One side higher or lower than the other may affect camber as well. I have an aftermarket K on my car, but it is not BMR.
I don't have the adjustable strut mounts but been thinking of getting some too, the car hasn't been moved since I got it off the stands, I ran out time and it was getting dark, could be just the camber or maybe just the way it's sitting on the pavement, I'll be testing it this coming Saturday before I get an alignment, also want to find out about the noise and vibration I've heard others experience.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
I presume you had to remove the struts to do the install? The Ford strut mounts need to be in the same position. Installing one of them 180* from the stock configuration will account for some amount of camber change. It can be corrected without removing the strut from the spindle. It's just something else you might check.

·
Registered
09 mustang shelby gt500
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I presume you had to remove the struts to do the install? The Ford strut mounts need to be in the same position. Installing one of them 180* from the stock configuration will account for some amount of camber change. It can be corrected without removing the strut from the spindle. It's just something else you might check.
The struts weren't removed, even tho the instructions were very basic and not too informative they didn't mention anything about removing the struts, I was thinking that maybe loosening and moving the k-member might help but there's not that much adjustment.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Kudos for doing this Mod!

The only other person I know that did this MOD on an S197 was TOB over on the SVTP Board...

His 09 he put this on is long gone now but the K-Member was really an amazing mod...

Here's his thread... Maximum Motorsports S197 K-Member

Here's the 09 he put it on...Car was Bad💀 Azz with a Whipple and the K -Member!

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Kudos for doing this Mod!

The only other person I know that did this MOD on an S197 was TOB over on the SVTP Board...

His 09 he put this on is long gone now but the K-Member was really an amazing mod...

Here's his thread... Maximum Motorsports S197 K-Member

Here's the 09 he put it on...Car was Bad💀 Azz with a Whipple and the K -Member!

I have the MM K as well and mostly due to Tob's write up.

Reactions: JTB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts