Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
1989 LX 5.0 Hatchback
Miss my College days ride 😢 You guys gonna make me start crying……. She was my..,,,,first. I still remember how hard it was for me to learn how to use my hands on her…fumbling around, trying to get it right …..my first 5 spd manual. This car is a big part of why I ordered Atlas Blue!

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
Miss my College days ride 😢 You guys gonna make me start crying……. She was my..,,,,first. I still remember how hard it was for me to learn how to use my hands on her…fumbling around, trying to get it right …..my first 5 spd manual. This car is a big part of why I ordered Atlas Blue!

View attachment 239141
I bet that girl smelt like burning rubber every time you were done. 😂

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
229 Posts
I’m not sure which is more embarrassing, that you did that to a girl OR that you drove an IROC? 😳
I 100% knew that was coming!! It was just a matter of who was going to say it first. LMAO!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL: I actually had 2 in my lifetime. I was clearly very lost and crying out for help!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I 100% knew that was coming!! It was just a matter of who was going to say it first. LMAO!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL: I actually had 2 in my lifetime. I was clearly very lost and crying out for help!!! :)
I think most of us had that car in our past that we thought was cool and disavowed later in life 😂

·
Registered
706 Posts
I saw it……I had good tone…..I took the shot. Sorry but you were obviously expecting it😂🤣. And when I was a teen, guy down the street had a white 350 IROC-Z that sounded so good, there was no mistaking it when it was turning the corner. Same dude had one of the first ‘84 Vettes too.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I saw it……I had good tone…..I took the shot. Sorry but you were obviously expecting it😂🤣. And when I was a teen, guy down the street had a white 350 IROC-Z that sounded so good, there was no mistaking it when it was turning the corner. Same dude had one of the first ‘84 Vettes too.
I loved taking those guys money back in the day. My little 81 had a custom 416 Windsor with over 500rwhp and basically no 1st gear for fear of losing tires 😂

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Daryl,
VERY COOL!!!!!!
@Hyperformance is a racing legend! I don’t think many members knew we had Mustang history making legend on the forum. I remember watching that Fox fly down the strip!

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Gray
593 Posts
What m

The very same to you sir. What magazine did the write up on you and ur record setting car? I probably read it at the time and was jealous of you! Just like I know I’m going to be jealous of your Eleanor build.
Now that I think about it. It would be very wrong for u to have made me envious twice, decades apart. I feel I’m owed reparations or a least let me drive one. LOL 😂🤣😂🤣
LOL Scott…I’ll promise you this, if you ever find yourself in middle TN look me up…you just earned yourself a drive in Eleanor! My 89 5.0 was in the centerfold of October issue of MM&FF. It was in several issues, but that one was a special write up and my favorite. It was in another issue the next year picked as one of the “Top 10 Coolest Mustangs In America”, and that one came as a surprise. MM&FF didn’t even call to let me know. I didn’t learn about it until a fellow racer seen it and called me. I wish I still had that issue, but misplaced it after all these years. So many great memories of those days. And being out of it for 25 years has left a hole in my heart. So grateful to be blessed to be able to afford this life long dream Shelby GT500 while I can still enjoy it. You’ve run in the 9’s before, and something I’ve always dreamed to do, so it’s time to join the club. I just want to do it in a street car, so buddy anytime you want to drive Eleanor you have an open invitation!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
So very true. I knew every socket size by heart and the ECU was nothing like today's. If you slam the door too hard in today's cars, some sensor somewhere gets mad :). That said, NO ONE is ever allowed to slam my door and never has been since my very first car. LMAO I once made a girl I was dating walk home because she slammed the door on a 350 IROC I had. :)
That’s hilarious Scott. I actually did something similar one night. Was racing another guy long distance down a mountain and we were going WAAAAY too fast. I’m embarrassed to say how fast we were going, and she panicked and threw a large Mountain Dew into my dash 🤨, so I stopped at the bottom of the mountain. The other guy pulled in behind me. Told her to get out and she can ride home with the other guy…and no second date either! Well, we did end up dating more, but she had a much higher respect for my 5.0 from them on…lol. That’s was back during the “height of my stupidity” 🤷‍♂️.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
1989 LX 5.0 Hatchback

View attachment 239141
Gosh I remember those feelings. My wife and I had our first date in that 89 5.0. I don’t remember it, but she says I pulled up to her apartment playing “Rock The Cradle Of Love” turned up to 10. First impressions, right?…lol. Still got my first kiss at the end of the night under that sun roof, and 32 years later she’s laying her next to me, so my 5.0 worked her magic.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
@Hyperformance is a racing legend! I don’t think many members knew we had Mustang history making legend on the forum. I remember watching that Fox fly down the strip!
Ok, so you guys are swelling my head…stop it 😉. Seriously, your comments are very humbling, but understand I’ve been out of the loop completely for almost 25 years…and SO MUCH has changed!! I’m learning more everyday from you guys. Thank you for sharing your experiences and ideas. This is gonna be a great ride together 😊!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Ok, so you guys are swelling my head…stop it 😉. Seriously, your comments are very humbling, but understand I’ve been out of the loop completely for almost 25 years…and SO MUCH has changed!! I’m learning more everyday from you guys. Thank you for sharing your experiences and ideas. This is gonna be a great ride together 😊!
#legend can retire it doesn’t take anything away from what you’ve done. The trophies don’t fade! I know many kids who read those magazines and later became something because you showed them that setting your sights on and achieving something no one else did was possible.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
#legend can retire it doesn’t take anything away from what you’ve done. The trophies don’t fade! I know many kids who read those magazines and later became something because you showed them that setting your sights on and achieving something no one else did was possible.
Well I don’t even know what to say. Those are very kind words Chris. Ok, so I’m extending you same offer as I did Scott. You ever find yourself in middle TN please look me up. It would be my pleasure to let you take Eleanor for a spin. I’m not just saying that either. If you have a bucket list put it on there brother! She’s suppose to pull 60-130mph in 4.33 seconds! Might be worth a TN vacation 😉.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Well I don’t even know what to say. Those are very kind words Chris. Ok, so I’m extending you same offer as I did Scott. You ever find yourself in middle TN please look me up. It would be my pleasure to let you take Eleanor for a spin. I’m not just saying that either. If you have a bucket list put it on there brother! She’s suppose to pull 60-130mph in 4.33 seconds! Might be worth a TN vacation 😉.
If I ever get the chance count me in!

Reactions: Hyperformance

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
229 Posts
LOL Scott…I’ll promise you this, if you ever find yourself in middle TN look me up…you just earned yourself a drive in Eleanor! My 89 5.0 was in the centerfold of October issue of MM&FF. It was in several issues, but that one was a special write up and my favorite. It was in another issue the next year picked as one of the “Top 10 Coolest Mustangs In America”, and that one came as a surprise. MM&FF didn’t even call to let me know. I didn’t learn about it until a fellow racer seen it and called me. I wish I still had that issue, but misplaced it after all these years. So many great memories of those days. And being out of it for 25 years has left a hole in my heart. So grateful to be blessed to be able to afford this life long dream Shelby GT500 while I can still enjoy it. You’ve run in the 9’s before, and something I’ve always dreamed to do, so it’s time to join the club. I just want to do it in a street car, so buddy anytime you want to drive Eleanor you have an open invitation!
Amazing accomplishments and lifetime memories!!! I can’t wait to read about and see the progress of that Eleanor build. I be sure to give an opinion if I see something that would help me be more comfortable when I drive it. 🤣😂. Seriously, ur plans sound awesome and the car should like and perform every bit as much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’m still trying to convince my 13 year old son that he needs a Fox and not an S197 GT500. I wrenched so much on my 81! I loved that car and hate the day I lost it!
i am a certified autobody tech who does a fair amount of heavy duty frame work. i have seen more than my share of wrecked cars.
i rebuilt fox body wrecks for a side job when they were new cars. these cars are pretty close to beer cans on wheels. they are probably the worse structurally constructed car ford ever built. i lost count on the cars i have seen torn in 2 pieces from hitting a telephone pole. i have seen friend of a friend car that was torn in 2 pieces from hitting a mail box pole. if it actually hit something solid more likely than not someone will be severely hurt.

the S197 mustangs are light years ahead in construction strength over a fox body.
i myself wouldn't even let my 13 yo get inside of one of them let alone drive one.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
i am a certified autobody tech who does a fair amount of heavy duty frame work. i have seen more than my share of wrecked cars.
i rebuilt fox body wrecks for a side job when they were new cars. these cars are pretty close to beer cans on wheels. they are probably the worse structurally constructed car ford ever built. i lost count on the cars i have seen torn in 2 pieces from hitting a telephone pole. i have seen friend of a friend car that was torn in 2 pieces from hitting a mail box pole. if it actually hit something solid more likely than not someone will be severely hurt.

the S197 mustangs are light years ahead in construction strength over a fox body.
i myself wouldn't even let my 13 yo get inside of one of them let alone drive one.
It’s a big reason why they were so light. Same logic on WW2 Japanese Zeros… didn’t have much armor plating for protection, which made it light and maneuverable.

I just googled the curb weights:

1979: 2550
2005: 3351

21 - 40 of 73 Posts