Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Oxford White , HP , Painted Stripes
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW ! You just brought me back big time !!!! I used to read that mag all the time and I remember Holcomb motorsports . That’s when 10 seconds was a big deal lol ! I never went beyond bolt ons ( not even rocker arms ) and my best at the local track was 13.81 . HAHA i always regretted never adding a supercharger or building a motor . No regrets these days lol !!!! Drove the black one for 3 years , sold it got a white one . I remember the dealership that i got the white car from had a teal cobra ( thanks for sharing Goose17 , 2 red cobras and a black cobra . They where 25K-26K and my LX was only 16K , the Cobras where just a little bit to much for me to afford at the time ( lol i was only 23 years old ).
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Gray
656 Posts
WOW ! You just brought me back big time !!!! I used to read that mag all the time and I remember Holcomb motorsports . That’s when 10 seconds was a big deal lol ! I never went beyond bolt ons ( not even rocker arms ) and my best at the local track was 13.81 . HAHA i always regretted never adding a supercharger or building a motor . No regrets these days lol !!!! Drove the black one for 3 years , sold it got a white one . I remember the dealership that i got the white car from had a teal cobra ( thanks for sharing Goose17 , 2 red cobras and a black cobra . They where 25K-26K and my LX was only 16K , the Cobras where just a little bit to much for me to afford at the time ( lol i was only 23 years old ).
View attachment 239108
Yep running in the 10's was cutting edge without a power adder, but it took a lot of tricks to pull that off. In 1995, when we won the national championship, we held the national record for a while at 10.52/127mph and were considered by many the fastest naturally aspirated Mustang 5.0 in the nation...and now I'm buying a bone stock ride that runs that from the factory!...technology advancement is amazing!

For those wishing to squeeze maximum power out of their naturally aspirated 5.0's, above and beyond all the known tricks, here's a tidbit I learned from an old-school drag racer back then that pushed me ahead of the pack to win the national championship in 1995. I never told anyone this trick until after I quit racing (and then only shared with a few), and it works wonders in the 5.0. The car picked ran .30 seconds and 6mph faster in the quarter with just this modification, and in heads-up drag racing that makes all the difference! The engine had to pump 310 or less, so stroking was out of the question. That left some head shaving and oversize boring to push that limit. So, what I did was switch out the stock connecting rods with longer connecting rods from a Chevy 400 small block (I think they were about 5/8" longer), and to maintain the stock stroke had a custom set of pistons built by JE with 5/8" reduced compression height. The longer rod, using the same stroke, reduces the side loading on the pistons, which reduces friction. It also increases the piston dwell time at Top Dead Center (TDC). Holding compression for maybe half a degree of crankshaft rotation longer at TDC improves combustion efficiency and squeezes more power out of the air/fuel mixture. Worked like a charm and we won 6 out of 8 national events that year and came in second on the other two. I sure miss those days. Love your 5.0's 🥰...and great thread to kick off.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep running in the 10's was cutting edge without a power adder, but it took a lot of tricks to pull that off. In 1995, when we won the national championship, we held the national record for a while at 10.52/127mph and were considered by many the fastest naturally aspirated Mustang 5.0 in the nation...and now I'm buying a bone stock ride that runs that from the factory!...technology advancement is amazing!

For those wishing to squeeze maximum power out of their naturally aspirated 5.0's, above and beyond all the known tricks, here's a tidbit I learned from an old-school drag racer back then that pushed me ahead of the pack to win the national championship in 1995. I never told anyone this trick until after I quit racing (and then only shared with a few), and it works wonders in the 5.0. The car picked ran .30 seconds and 6mph faster in the quarter with just this modification, and in heads-up drag racing that makes all the difference! The engine had to pump 310 or less, so stroking was out of the question. That left some head shaving and oversize boring to push that limit. So, what I did was switch out the stock connecting rods with longer connecting rods from a Chevy 400 small block (I think they were about 5/8" longer), and to maintain the stock stroke had a custom set of pistons built by JE with 5/8" reduced compression height. The longer rod, using the same stroke, reduces the side loading on the pistons, which reduces friction. It also increases the piston dwell time at Top Dead Center (TDC). Holding compression for maybe half a degree of crankshaft rotation longer at TDC improves combustion efficiency and squeezes more power out of the air/fuel mixture. Worked like a charm and we won 6 out of 8 national events that year and came in second on the other two. I sure miss those days. Love your 5.0's 🥰...and great thread to kick off.
Nice tip ! Thanks for sharing ! Congrats on all those victories . I remember going to Englishtown NJ back in the 90’s and watching fox bodies with 347”s and Paxton / Vortech superchargers running low 9’s and pulling the wheels of the ground when they banged second gear . I was always there for the NHRA events , Mopar Nat’s and the Buick GN vs. Mustang events . So much fun and good times . Noteable moment was walking through the pits and John Force rolled up on us riding a little pit bike/scooter and asking which way to the end of the track !!!😂🤣😂

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
239 Posts
Nice tip ! Thanks for sharing ! Congrats on all those victories . I remember going to Englishtown NJ back in the 90’s and watching fox bodies with 347”s and Paxton / Vortech superchargers running low 9’s and pulling the wheels of the ground when they banged second gear . I was always there for the NHRA events , Mopar Nat’s and the Buick GN vs. Mustang events . So much fun and good times . Noteable moment was walking through the pits and John Force rolled up on us riding a little pit bike/scooter and asking which way to the end of the track !!!😂🤣😂
Wow I miss those days!! I lived in the Bronx and Englishtown was my home track. I couldn’t find a single pic of my first Mustang which was a 89 5.0 LX hatch. I remember being afraid to drive it home from the dealer because it had “so much power” and it was raining. 🤣🤣. Amazing what we thought 225 HP was back then. I read muscle mustangs & fast fords magazines like it was a religion and remember thinking I could feel the extra HP every bolt-on supposedly gave me. 😂. I did find some old pics of my old fox body race cars. The white one carried me to consistent low 9 second passes in the mid 160’s. I’m so jealous of Tim and anyone who owns a clean fox body today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Gray
656 Posts
Wow I miss those days!! I lived in the Bronx and Englishtown was my home track. I couldn’t find a single pic of my first Mustang which was a 89 5.0 LX hatch. I remember being afraid to drive it home from the dealer because it had “so much power” and it was raining. 🤣🤣. Amazing what we thought 225 HP was back then. I read muscle mustangs & fast fords magazines like it was a religion and remember thinking I could feel the extra HP every bolt-on supposedly gave me. 😂. I did find some old pics of my old fox body race cars. The white one carried me to consistent low 9 second passes in the mid 160’s. I’m so jealous of Tim and anyone who owns a clean fox body today.
Loved everything about every picture Scott. Thanks for sharing those! And pretty fast too 😉.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
What m

The very same to you sir. What magazine did the write up on you and ur record setting car? I probably read it at the time and was jealous of you! Just like I know I’m going to be jealous of your Eleanor build.
Now that I think about it. It would be very wrong for u to have made me envious twice, decades apart. I feel I’m owed reparations or a least let me drive one. LOL 😂🤣😂🤣

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW brother !! Nothing like a LX trunk with massive tires tucked underneath etc. etc. Thanks for sharing ! killer cars !
must have been a ton of fun racing them . FOR SURE i could feel the HP gains after bolting on a Konical K&N filter
and a throttle body that was about 10-15mm bigger than stock 🤣🤣

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange HP GT500
283 Posts
Man, you guys are taking me back with these pic's. Here's a photo of my first Mustang. A '90 GT. I bought it from a buddy of mine who used to buy cars and flip them. This car was actually a program car for a Ford executive that was stolen. My friend bought it an auction to rebuild it. The thieves stripped it bare (i.e. engine/trans, seats, wheels/tires, stereo....). They left the top section of the rear seats, and 2 Budweiser bottles in it. 🤣 It was originally blue over silver with a white top and white leather seats. I had my friend paint it solid blue, deleted the emblems, black top, and gray twead cloth seats. I added the Saleen wing which I loved!! I intended to ultimately build it into a Saleen clone, but ended up selling it to another friend and buying a '94 GT a few years later. That guy put the flat-faced 5-spoke Speedline wheels on it that Saleen used on the old Fox bodies. I wish I had taken a picture of it when he got done with it. That's one I'd like to have back.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

It's not a Fox body, but this was the best Saleen clone I ever built. A '20 GT. Tried to stay as detailed as possible, right down to the SCCA window stickers on the quarter windows. That bodystyle of Saleen was always my favorite. I still remember the day the composite hood arrived in the shop. We just sat there and stared at it it was so gorgeous for that era. 🤣 Sold this one to get the cash to buy my first house. The second car I wish I had back.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,932 Posts
I’m still trying to convince my 13 year old son that he needs a Fox and not an S197 GT500. I wrenched so much on my 81! I loved that car and hate the day I lost it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
You're exactly right. They were sooo easy to work on.
So very true. I knew every socket size by heart and the ECU was nothing like today's. If you slam the door too hard in today's cars, some sensor somewhere gets mad :). That said, NO ONE is ever allowed to slam my door and never has been since my very first car. LMAO I once made a girl I was dating walk home because she slammed the door on a 350 IROC I had. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I once made a girl I was dating walk home because she slammed the door on a 350 IROC I had. :)
I’m not sure which is more embarrassing, that you did that to a girl OR that you drove an IROC? 😳

EDIT actually I take that back, it was insensitive of me………..it’s perfectly fine that you made her walk home for slamming the door.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts