Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents!! Make a long story short! Just picked me up a 14 gt500 deep impact blue with 41k on it... first off, I bought it site unseen, I trusted them that everything was mechanically sound as they confirmed it was... so the problem... it almost feels like belt slip, but I’m being told it’s clutch slipping... so I can WOT it in 1st, shift and 2nd threw 6th it gets no boost and my rpms rev out... if I’m not in the gas it is driveable no problem as soon as I roll in the gas it slips... brought it to a very very reputable tuner in the area and he said the clutch is smoked.. I feel like 40k on it it should be smoked so soon!!!! Please please give me some advice!!!!!! Greatly appreciated

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
Hello ladies and gents!! Make a long story short! Just picked me up a 14 gt500 deep impact blue with 41k on it... first off, I bought it site unseen, I trusted them that everything was mechanically sound as they confirmed it was... so the problem... it almost feels like belt slip, but I’m being told it’s clutch slipping... so I can WOT it in 1st, shift and 2nd threw 6th it gets no boost and my rpms rev out... if I’m not in the gas it is driveable no problem as soon as I roll in the gas it slips... brought it to a very very reputable tuner in the area and he said the clutch is smoked.. I feel like 40k on it it should be smoked so soon!!!! Please please give me some advice!!!!!! Greatly appreciated
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Shelby! Hopefully you can get it 100% in short order.

If the RPMs shoot up without a corresponding increase in MPH, your clutch is toast. If your MPH shoot up, but boost is erratic or doesn’t reach expected PSI, you most likely have belt slip.

On a different note, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,495 Posts

clutch is smoked brother! Do you have any power mods, like smaller upper pulley? Clutch status at 40k miles will depend on how the previous owner drove it. You need to collect some history on its previous life to determine cause of clutch failure. My guess, he drove the poop out of it with WOT launches

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
324 Posts
first off, I bought it site unseen, I trusted them that everything was mechanically sound as they confirmed it was... so the problem... it almost feels like belt slip, but I’m being told it’s clutch slipping... so I can WOT it in 1st, shift and 2nd threw 6th it gets no boost and my rpms rev out... if I’m not in the gas it is driveable no problem as soon as I roll in the gas it slips... brought it to a very very reputable tuner in the area and he said the clutch is smoked...
Welcome to the site. Who is “they” that confirmed it was mechanically sound when it clearly had a burnt out clutch? This would be the party to call up and give hell to..,
The only bright side I can see is if you are needing to put in a new clutch this coming week is the best time of year to have to buy one as all the major parts suppliers will have their best sales starting Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats & good luck with the 14.

Mileage has nothing to do with clutch life..
So True...
My first clutch went away at 2700 Miles !
The second one at 6,300 miles ! (this one came out in eleven pieces)
I then put in; McLeod RXT 1200hp Ceramic, lightened flywheel, slave (throw-out), braided stainless and now have about 21k miles on it with near twice the OEM Hp/Tq. It grabs and holds with less than half of the pedal force!
Do not put another worthless FORD POS clutch back in it, they are crap !
I suppose if you want to you can but, you WILL be doing it again.

btw; You best be getting the 'tune' looked at, you have No idea what someone else has done to it. Get It Checked !!! IF you run it up into boost, and it goes Lean you may be putting a new motor in it.

Ken
RLTW

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,936 Posts
I agree with the above comments. I too would wonder why the clutch is slipping after only 40K. Sounds like abuse. I had a 13 GT500 and sold it with 45K, with no clutch problems. If the car is basically stock I'd suggest getting the Ford replacement clutch system, as opposed to an aftermarket ones. The Ford system for the 2013/14 is a strong, good clutch and I can't recall anyone complaining about it's operation etc. That is not always the case with aftermarket units. Good luck with your new car!

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
..............I'd suggest getting the Ford replacement clutch system, as opposed to an aftermarket ones. The Ford system for the 2013/14 is a strong, good clutch and I can't recall anyone complaining about it's operation etc. That is not always the case with aftermarket units. Good luck with your new car!
ppllllllllllllttttttttttt…..

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,936 Posts
So True...
My first clutch went away at 2700 Miles !
The second one at 6,300 miles ! (this one came out in eleven pieces)
I then put in; McLeod RXT 1200hp Ceramic, lightened flywheel, slave (throw-out), braided stainless and now have about 21k miles on it with near twice the OEM Hp/Tq. It grabs and holds with less than half of the pedal force!
Do not put another worthless FORD POS clutch back in it, they are crap !
I suppose if you want to you can but, you WILL be doing it again.

Ken
RLTW
I would add that 'cause does not baby his car and certainly does not drive it like Maude Frickert! It also makes enough horsepower to light up Las Vegas! If your car is basically stock, with no real plans for major horsepower increases, then you'd probably be happy with the Ford unit. I think much of the issues with aftermarket clutches are predicated on improper installations.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
I would add that 'cause does not baby his car and certainly does not drive it like Maude Frickert! It also makes enough horsepower to light up Las Vegas! ….
Oh, there is that !

...I may have a few Mods... but the seats are all OEM !!!

btw; wait until you hear the thing with the new high flow cats and H-pipe with the Roush Extremes... now I just need to get those cut-outs put on... hee hee hee…..

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,727 Posts
Lots of cars get every bolt-on known to man only to get stripped and returned to stock-like condition for resale. I'd strongly recommend some sort of due diligence before buying a GT500. I'd also attempt to determine if the car has any existing mods and a tune to match those mods. It doesn't take a lot of effort to exceed the load tables in the stock tune which put your engine at risk of detonation. At 40k, I'd say you got fairly decent life out of the clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
Lots of cars get every bolt-on known to man only to get stripped and returned to stock-like condition for resale....

…. At 40k, I'd say you got fairly decent life out of the clutch.
I'm sure you have a few stock OEM parts laying about! I have a room off of the big detached garage that is 11x11, my compressor room, it is pretty well full of near new parts from the GT500, some from the Jeeps, and more from the Porsche's. The room is pretty full. I have kept most all the 'parts' taken off the 500, not sure why, I have no intention of selling the thing just too much fun the way it is... what the heck am I going to do with three sets of axel back mufflers, or three chin spoilers, or the stock side rockers, center console lid, four sets of wheels and tires, a couple of TVS's, Suspension parts, hell even the antenna....

I'm really surprised that his clutch didn't go before 40k miles, I'm on the third one with 20k on my '08. But then again as @03reptile, Mike pointed out, mine is driven HARD... That is what it is for!!!

And John, you are dead right, if you are buying a 'pre-owned' you really better know just what you are buying!

You would not want like mine with the OEM parts put back on it even at 20k miles !!!

Ken
RLTW

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Even if the engine were stock at 662 HP, 40k miles would be pretty good for a stock clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 I bought used about four years ago and it had 28,000 mile son it. Whomever had it before me ran it hard! I had to put a new clutch in it and have the supercharger rebuilt. Not happy but now have a very nice car.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
442 Posts
I agree with all above, bad clutch. I only have 16k on my '14 and I'm looking at the same McCleod mentioned above. I also am looking at a MGW shifter. Ive found that occasionally I cannot shift into 5th when Im over 100-120. At that point I end up running out 4th and going to 6th. (Yes, I'm moving at that point:devilish:) I would also agree with getting the tune checked.

If you could post a pic of the engine bay, maybe we can help spot any mods you may have missed.

Regardless, congrats on the Shelby! Its a beast and once you get it all lined out, you'll be a very happy owner!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like your choice of cars! Mine had the clutch replaced by the dealer with just a few hundred on clock because of what he described as "glazing" of the clutch. No charge. I thought the shift linkage was a bit off because I was getting gear clash (grinding) on hard 1-2 upshifts so I put in a MGW shifter. Love it. Still had the clash though. This forum had a posting about the OEM spec on the 2nd gear synchro being made of a material to keep it quiet. Tremec's original design synchro replacment did the trick and the dealer put it in for free (warranty claim) because I bought the $69. part. They replaced the clutch at the same time, again at no charge, at 37K on the odo. It's going into storage tomorrow, for the winter, and it's now got just about 51K on it, and the clutch is fine. I'm still lovin' it. But Sally is lonely for a brother so I think I'm buying her a 2021 brother just because Goose17 seems to think I won't mind driving an automatic like the old man I am. Yes, "Sally" is a Deep Impact Blue '14.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts