Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new 09 Shelby GT500. I am stationed here in Afghanistan and bought it through military sales over here. Someone had bought it before me and couldnt pay for it. I got one hell of a discount and I will say the price was in the extremely low 40's...

A little about me...

I had an 08 Gixxer 750 and am a life member on the gixxer pages. Saw a friend get killed on a bike and decided it was time to act my age. Deployed to Afghan and while here, found out they were selling Dodge Challenger's. Looked at the SRT8, but I cant fathom spending that kind of money for that car. I have always loved mustang GT's as I owned a 90 GT in the past. I had a deposit down on a 2010 GT, but this opportunity came open and I took it..

My car is scheduled to be delivered in Oct 09. It's the same one on the opening page in the corner of the website and like the one in my avatar. A couple of things I plan on changing...

One, I am going to get the dealer to take the stripes off the hood and trunk...I really dont like them. I may have them replaced with black stipes, I just dont like the white ones.

One question..As I am not scheduled to come home until Feb 2010, the car will be in my garage for about four months before daddy comes home on leave. I dont think that will hurt it. My wife will crank it about once a week (she cant drive a stick, thank god). Any suggestions on keeping it sitting for a few months?

It's fully loaded with Nav and the Shaker 500...

With this year model, what should I be looking out for? Anyone had any problems?

Good to be here and expect to see alot more of me, especially when I get out of this shithole(afghanistan)...:)

Any comments are appreciated and if I can answer anyone's questions, I will.

Allow a little lag time for the time difference...

Stpn2me

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're gonna love your new Shelby. I just bought an 08 about a month ago and have to say it's a thrill everytime I drive it. Good luck to you in Afghanistan, have a safe tour and thank you for your service! Hoah!!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
When she cranks it in the garage make sure to be careful with carbon monoxide,Add Sta-bil fuel preservative and have the tank full to elimanate condensation,Let it run for about 10 minutes to get up to temp.And last but certainly not least-Start the mod plan!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! =) Enjoy, godbless and godspeed

By the way you dont need a dealer to take the stripes off the car. They are only vinyl. If you use a hair dryer to breeze over the stripes just to warm them up a little (dont get too close or too hot and bubble the paint), but it will just heat the glue up on the back of the vinyl. You can leave your hand next to the stripes on the car while you heat them up, when you start burning your hand ease off. :) You then can peal them off your self slow and carefully. They wont take any paint with them, you'll be good. Just dont take them off cold, or its a pain in the butt. If you plan on REPLACING the stripes down the road with black stripes, i would HIGHLY recommend measuring and writing down all the dimensions of the current stripes, especially the gaps in between stripes so you can make it look factory again with new stripes.

As for storage:
Have her start the car and get it up to operating temperature and let it run for a half hour at LEAST once a week i'd say. The more the better. Would be best if she could drive it around but sitting is ok.

Also when you come home, i would highly recommend doing an oil change since its been sitting for 4 months. I do my oil changes on my old 2004 Cobra and now 07 GT500 every 3-5k miles or if it sits in the winter, every 3 months of sitting. Whichever comes 1st.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I work for the Dept of Army and try my best to support our deployed forces every day; I'd be glad to drive your Shelby once every week or so!!! I'll break it in for you. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
congrats on your purchase. you'll enjoy her for sure. starting the car periodically is ok, but wont charge the battery. it needs to be driven for that. even if she's just starting weekly, keep one of the windows cracked (5" or half way) open (if garaged). with a dead battery, the window wont drop just as opening the door, and could pull on the upper seal. keep the gas tank full...reduces condensation buildup...i've had mine sitting for 6 to 7 months while deployed and did all this. good thing i left the window cracked..three weeks went by w/o my brother starting/driving, and batt was dead. barely mind you, but enough to keep from starting.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hello everyone,

My car is scheduled to be delivered in Oct 09. It's the same one on the opening page in the corner of the website and like the one in my avatar. A couple of things I plan on changing...

One question..As I am not scheduled to come home until Feb 2010, the car will be in my garage for about four months before daddy comes home on leave. I dont think that will hurt it. My wife will crank it about once a week (she cant drive a stick, thank god). Any suggestions on keeping it sitting for a few months?

Stpn2me
Stpn2me,
Congrats on the '09. I do love those red cars! I bought the black on because of the red stripes.

I would not have the car cranked. If it is not operated long enough to get up to temp and eliminate any condensation created, cranking does more harm than good.

I would have fuel stabilizer added to the fuel.

I would invest in a Deltran Battery Tender, Jr. I keep one on each of my motorcycles and on the T-Bird since they don't get driven as much. You can find cheaper ones, but I have used the Deltran and know they work.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2562778371&ref=pd_sl_75wmjf13b_b

The batt on my '01 Harley lasted 5 1/2 years, the one on my '03 Honda is 6 years old now.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase.

Mine has the black stripes. I personally think the black stripes make it look like the meaner evil twin. LOL

Arbour88

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys....

My brother in law just called, and told me he bought a Gixxer 750. Well, I dont think I will be going back to bikes for a while :). Thanks for all the advice and I will take it to heart. Only question is, does anyone know of LED gauges or digital gauges that look <I>really</I> cool? I doubt I will take this car to the track, but I want some extra gauges in it, maybe some that also change color with the mycolor feature...Plus, I have seen some of your comments on the Cold air intake from K & N. Rest assured I wont be buying THAT one. I have toyota's TRD CAI on my tundra and it was the best! I hear Ford Motorsports has one too...Thanks guys!

·
Registered
693 Posts
congrats on your new shelby,and thank you for your service god bless you.
+2

Sweet, enjoy your Stang when you can and congrats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts