Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I didn't get in on the orders early, as I wasn't expecting to be making what I am when the news first came around. Similarly, while I'm loving my post-college salary, I don't have enough to pay 20k over MSRP, or even 12k over. (that, and the thought of spending that much hurts my fingers).

So I'm going to post my experiences trying to obtain a Torch Red, fully striped, with interior upgrade package, for as close to MSRP as possible (I'm expecting 42-44k if all goes beautifully, with about 10k down as a deposit).

Right now, as I'm in an area where techie money is plentiful, dealers don't even want to think of moving below $25,000 over MSRP. Similarly, as there are a lot of fools with techie money, it looks like the 2007 allotments are almost all gone.

From the MotorTrend (December 2006), and Road & Track's Buyer's guide, it looks like Ford & SVT will be doing up to 30,000 GT500s over three years.

I am aiming to get my hands on a 2008 model year (by my calculations [S.W.A.G.], dealers should get information on allotments in March, and the first ones could come off the line as soon as June or July 2007)

Now, if anyone knows something I don't, which is highly likely, please step in and correct me.

My first four dealer contact mails went out this weekend, through my work e-mail address, which tends to generate good responses. So far I have one response, he has no knowledge of any future runs of the GT500, and is trying to sell me on a Shelby GT 'stang, the ~330bhp one. [Fark That!]

I believe my next action will be to get in touch with his Fleet Manager, who should have more information, and/or talk to the FoMoCo investors' portal folks, and try to find out some more information.

I'm fishing for advice in my narrative here, and if the mods decide it should be placed elsewhere, I'll gladly relocate it to a domain of my own, with a link here.

I want one of these now, before I have other financial obligations.

Wish me luck!

- Jonsey

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally, a reasonable starting quote amongst the Pacfic Northwest's $68,000 starting quotes.

I've got a starting ask of $57,000 finally, which on the GT500 I've been pricing out is only $12k over MSRP... I'm very torn as to what my first counter-offer should be. Anyone want to offer advice? I hate to say it in a public forum, but I think the most I can/should pay is $47k... I expect to have to pay $50k, and could probably deal with that.

Blargh, any help for the new guy to buying cars with too good of taste?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just an FYI...

I got my coupe for $2,000 over MSRP, and I'll end up paying about $50K total in the end. This includes Gas Guzzler Tax, Destination & Delivery, Interior Upgrade, Shaker 1000, sales tax and title. As a guy new to buying cars, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the differences between MSRP and what you actually pay.

MSRP: $40,930
ADM: $2,000
Dest & Del: $745
GGTax: $1,300
Prem Int: $595
Shaker 1K: $1,295
Tax: $2,390 (only 5.1% where I live)
Title: $1,000 (guess)
Total: $50,255

Adds up quick!

·
Registered
135 Posts
my dealer owns 5 dealerships in central florida. he told me last night when i picked up my sons 2004 cobra that they had 3 more coming in. they had set the price at 10k over msrp. try contacting Bill Jarrett Ford in avon park florida, he said they didnt have anyone on the list yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my dealer owns 5 dealerships in central florida. he told me last night when i picked up my sons 2004 cobra that they had 3 more coming in. they had set the price at 10k over msrp. try contacting Bill Jarrett Ford in avon park florida, he said they didnt have anyone on the list yet.
I placed my order April 6th and was told last week it should go in the order pot in the next 45 days. If it was going to be warm around here i would take them up on the 10 over. March? April? who knows at this point. I say get them while you can. I may be able to order a 2008 by then!:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm waiting for AC Cobra to ping me back on private messages, for who I should be doing business with at that dealer. I'd really like to hit closer to 10k over invoice than MSRP, (50k), but we'll see what happens.

Anyone have any news about places doing 2008 pre-orders yet? I think I could hit my target much easier with 2008 pre-orders.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I'm waiting for AC Cobra to ping me back on private messages, for who I should be doing business with at that dealer. I'd really like to hit closer to 10k over invoice than MSRP, (50k), but we'll see what happens.

Anyone have any news about places doing 2008 pre-orders yet? I think I could hit my target much easier with 2008 pre-orders.
The Ford place i have my car on order at, tells me they are on the 2009 list.:eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every dealer I've talked to, at least out here, and the one in Maine, and the one in Texas, says that they aren't touching the 2008s until they get confirmation from Ford (order sheets I'm guessing?) that the 2008 GT500s will come.

Trust me, I'd love to give someone some money now to gurantee me a reasonably priced car in 2008.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Every dealer I've talked to, at least out here, and the one in Maine, and the one in Texas, says that they aren't touching the 2008s until they get confirmation from Ford (order sheets I'm guessing?) that the 2008 GT500s will come.

Trust me, I'd love to give someone some money now to gurantee me a reasonably priced car in 2008.
The word for the year is " reasonably ". Hope you find a car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, someone just got a non-horrible deal in Michigan on a car spec'd like I want. $10k over MSRP at just under $54k. I'm not willing to go that high, so I've got an inquiry in to that dealer about 2008 pre-orders.... Thankfully I'm finding out all sorts of things about my coworkers! One of them used to be sponsored by Ford Racing, so I'm talking with his contact about that

The dream is realistically dead for the 2007 production run, but let's see what I can dig up for 2008, starting now. : )

- J

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, someone just got a non-horrible deal in Michigan on a car spec'd like I want. $10k over MSRP at just under $54k. I'm not willing to go that high, so I've got an inquiry in to that dealer about 2008 pre-orders.... Thankfully I'm finding out all sorts of things about my coworkers! One of them used to be sponsored by Ford Racing, so I'm talking with his contact about that

The dream is realistically dead for the 2007 production run, but let's see what I can dig up for 2008, starting now. : )

- J
NEVER give up! If you want that 2007 shelby keep going for it. I got the dealer in california (actually prayed) to lower his price 15000.00! That is the truth. These dealers will come down after they have to pay the interest for holding the car to long on the showroom.Right now there are more unsold shelby gt500's than I've seen before. I am going for my second one and will probably go for a 2008 with deposit now. The first year is always worth more later on though. You have done a lot of homework so I believe you'll get that 2007 you want at a reasonable price. Check out www.winashelby.org. You might get one for 25.00!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, already gave my donation to the foundation by purchasing the tickets... the sad part about it is, given the way they had to write their rules, you can request free tickets endlessly. Hopefully no one will be that mean to do so... but given the whole "free car" possibility, I'd not put it past anyone.

I just don't care about the model year, only the upkeep and the fun, the GT500 I eventually get (if I do so) will wind up getting totalled after losing traction on all four tyres, and wind up flipping off track... be it by me, or my future children (or maybe my dad :p ) It's not a sellable car to me.

The reason why I'm debating giving into my relaxing desire for one is because there are a few other cars that would be brutally fun to own, at around the same price, with so much less effort... a Saturn Sky with a LS2/LS7 dropped into it, with a Tremec 6-speed tagged on, the novelty value of a Saturn... well, you get it, and ideally hate the idea. :)

It's a hobby to search for one, it's a joy to be able to afford to finance one, it's not worth getting stressed out over in any event.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Even if tickets are given away free,if it's meant to be, you'll win. Donating to his childrens fund is worth the ticket price anyhow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been a busy week, some bits I can't mention yet, but I can admit to turning down an offer at 14k over MSRP (58k for my build ). And pitching that offer as too high to another dealer.

Both are swings and misses, but the best chance lies at a different show, in a different form, in a different state. More (useful) information later this week.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Even if tickets are given away free,if it's meant to be, you'll win. Donating to his childrens fund is worth the ticket price anyhow.
Where are the tickets given away free? I have only seen them at @ $25 each or 5 for $100.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rules (if you dig into the PDF) have the normal "this is not a State Lotto" clause.

This means that there must be a free method of entry, and also that tickets issued do not equate to amount donated.

You could probably have the whole contest cancelled with a few hours with a lawyer. I think it would be a whole-heartedly evil thing to do though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jonsey,
Good luck on getting a Shelby. I was duped by a greedy dealer, Sharp Motor Company in Pulaski TN, they popped a mark-up on me and didn't even order the car that I wanted. I would strongly suggest staying away from them in your search.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Been a busy week, some bits I can't mention yet, but I can admit to turning down an offer at 14k over MSRP (58k for my build ). And pitching that offer as too high to another dealer.

Both are swings and misses, but the best chance lies at a different show, in a different form, in a different state. More (useful) information later this week.
You'll get one. The dealer wanted $25000.00 over sticker on mine. I told him he was overpriced as that was $15000.00 over the price they were selling for on ebay. After a couple months he came down to 10000.00 over. Tell them what you'll pay. The bidding stops around $55000.00 on ebay and they relist it rather than sell at that price. Greed! You'll get one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I didn't get the Red 'vert that BillG leaned up against doing the Ford/MS Sync presentation at CES... yet.

I'm going to persue this like a dog though, as none of you can claim the world's richest man's buttocks have pressed agaisnt your left fender.

I'll update this later, once I have to guts to ask Bill for help.

(Yes, I'm an idiot, yes it's fun)

[Yes, I work at Microsoft]

1 - 20 of 49 Posts