Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to JDM Engineering this morning to do a few dyno pulls on my car just to check AF and make sure everything was ok. Well high pull of the day was my 3rd after a long cooldown and it was 519 hp 499tq. He suggested that i should get in touch with Evo to change the tune a bit as it was running 26.6 deg of timing on that run. First two runs were 513 hp and 511 hp each with about 25.5 deg of timing. Think im gonna call them up and see if they can take about 3-4 deg of timing off of this tune.

·
Registered
861 Posts
good luck. I didn't have any luck! They just made excuses why I dyno'd 503rwhp & 489 rwtq with a stage II. I later added a 3" Manifold back w/ NO CATS and race mufflers Bassani exhaust. my new dyno numbers with the EVO stage II. 530hp&513tq. Evo still didn't want to give another tune. A/F ratio was pig rich! 10.6 at best! Good luck getting your tune fixed. Lets us know how it goes.
JJ

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
If Evo won't fix call VMP tuning he has a small charge to email you a tune if you own a SCT programmer. Than you can re-dyno and see what is better. Plus you can keep both tunes on your computer and switch them in minutes at any time. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evo told me to send my X3 back and they will make changes to it. Ill take it back and dyno it again and if that dosent work ill just have JDM dyno tune it there. If i do that ill probably upgrade the crank pulley and put on a smaller blower pulley then.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Evo told me to send my X3 back and they will make changes to it. Ill take it back and dyno it again and if that dosent work ill just have JDM dyno tune it there. If i do that ill probably upgrade the crank pulley and put on a smaller blower pulley then.
Why do you have to send your X3 back? When I needed my tune tweaked, Fred just emailed the new tune to me.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
No clue this is what he told me.
If you think it would be more convenient for you, I'd ask him about it. I had a bad A/F mixture and called Fred while I was at the dyno shop. I logged a pull, sent it to Fred, and he emailed a new tune to me within about 20 minutes. I'm new to this custom tune stuff, so i was really impressed.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Those are awesome numbers and if your only pulling timing you can just log it with the X3 and not go to the dyno. You will see less power of coarse.

croz, did you ever dyno stock? Your #'s are low for the mods, but that all depends in the stock runs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my car custom tuned today and the only mods I have is a bassani cat back and a cold air intake. stock dyno pull was 444RWHP,442RWTQ. After the tune I got 501RWHP,and482RWTQ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are awesome numbers and if your only pulling timing you can just log it with the X3 and not go to the dyno. You will see less power of coarse.

croz, did you ever dyno stock? Your #'s are low for the mods, but that all depends in the stock runs.

Had 2 codes thrown when we hooked it up to the dyno so wanted evo to go over the tune. We cleared them and they havent come back in about 80 miles so i hope that was just a fluke. Yea these are the highest numbers ive seen from just a stage 1 kit. Very happy with it. Probably gonna break down and do a pulley swap in the summer.

·
Registered
861 Posts

No I never dyno'd stock! The Max boost was 12.2psi! I think the total timimg was 26 (can't find my dyno sheet right now)....maybe that is the problem! Like I said earlier it was reading 10.6 A/f. VERY RICH!

JJ

Yeah very poor numbers. Should be around 550-560rwhp at least.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
No I never dyno'd stock! The Max boost was 12.2psi! I think the total timimg was 26 (can't find my dyno sheet right now)....maybe that is the problem! Like I said earlier it was reading 10.6 A/f. VERY RICH!

JJ

Yeah very poor numbers. Should be around 550-560rwhp at least.
Your A/F is off, you removed the cats and added 3" exhaust.
Of the 700+ packages we have sent out and the 20+ we have dynoed in house I have never seen a 10.6 A/F with a stage 1 or 2.
Was the reading taken from the tail pipe?
Was the A/F gauge on the dyno clean and running right?
Many factors come into play.

Stock dyno runs are very important as well.
I have seen 2 GT500 dyno under 400RWHP stock.:eek:

550-560 is way out of reach for a stage 2. At least SAE corrected numbers. The only guys getting those numbers are posting uncorrected numbers.
Corrected pulley cars are in the 525-535 range all day.

So at 503 your only off by 20-25 RWHP. That could be many things , like engine temp, shop temp, size of the fan used and does this dyno read lower then others.
All dynos are not the same and will not give the same reading for the same mods.

I've had JLT intake and tune cars leave at 487 RWHP to as high as 523 RWHP all using the same exact tune and JLT.

Your boost is at 12.2. This also says you may have had a lower HP car in stock form. The 2.6 will net you 3.5-4 PSI of boost everytime. It will not put you at 13.5-14 PSI, like many are getting, but it will add the 3.5-4 PSI to what you started with.
So if your car was only 8-8.5 stock, you gained 3.5-4 PSI to be at 12.5.

Some problems with the internet is people see what the majority or average are getting and expect it to happen everytime, not everyone is posting corrected numbers because uncorrected looks better, and not all dynos read the same in every part of the world.

To say "I didn't have any luck! They just made excuses why I dyno'd 503rwhp & 489 rwtq with a stage II" Isn't very fair.
Also, after this dyno you added 3" exhaust, removed the cats and race mufflers and expected Evo to "give" you a new tune because your A/F is in the 10.'s? I don't think that's standerd procedure for any tuner. If you remove the cats and or effect air flow in or out of the engine your tune will be effected and needs to be adjusted. So at 530 with your mods your about right. Get that A/F into the mid 11's and you'll gain even more.

Also note you should have full adjustability in your X-3 to remove fuel in 2% increments. So you really don't need Evo at all.

I'm not defendingEvo here, but trying to give some info that may help give a better understanding on why some reading are lower then others.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
861 Posts
Your A/F is off, you removed the cats and added 3" exhaust.
Of the 700+ packages we have sent out and the 20+ we have dynoed in house I have never seen a 10.6 A/F with a stage 1 or 2.
Was the reading taken from the tail pipe?
Was the A/F gauge on the dyno clean and running right?
Many factors come into play.

Stock dyno runs are very important as well.
I have seen 2 GT500 dyno under 400RWHP stock.:eek:

550-560 is way out of reach for a stage 2. At least SAE corrected numbers. The only guys getting those numbers are posting uncorrected numbers.
Corrected pulley cars are in the 525-535 range all day.

So at 503 your only off by 20-25 RWHP. That could be many things , like engine temp, shop temp, size of the fan used and does this dyno read lower then others.
All dynos are not the same and will not give the same reading for the same mods.

I've had JLT intake and tune cars leave at 487 RWHP to as high as 523 RWHP all using the same exact tune and JLT.

Your boost is at 12.2. This also says you may have had a lower HP car in stock form. The 2.6 will net you 3.5-4 PSI of boost everytime. It will not put you at 13.5-14 PSI, like many are getting, but it will add the 3.5-4 PSI to what you started with.
So if your car was only 8-8.5 stock, you gained 3.5-4 PSI to be at 12.5.

Some problems with the internet is people see what the majority or average are getting and expect it to happen everytime, not everyone is posting corrected numbers because uncorrected looks better, and not all dynos read the same in every part of the world.

To say "I didn't have any luck! They just made excuses why I dyno'd 503rwhp & 489 rwtq with a stage II" Isn't very fair.
Also, after this dyno you added 3" exhaust, removed the cats and race mufflers and expected Evo to "give" you a new tune because your A/F is in the 10.'s? I don't think that's standerd procedure for any tuner. If you remove the cats and or effect air flow in or out of the engine your tune will be effected and needs to be adjusted. So at 530 with your mods your about right. Get that A/F into the mid 11's and you'll gain even more.

Also note you should have full adjustability in your X-3 to remove fuel in 2% increments. So you really don't need Evo at all.

I'm not defendingEvo here, but trying to give some info that may help give a better understanding on why some reading are lower then others.

Thanks
Jay
Thanks Jay. But a Few details are off I should have stated this in the first post.

The A/F was taken on the first run (before the Bassani exhaust). Yes it was taken at the tail pipe! I know it is not as accurate, but wouldn't it have a reading that was leaner. Due to the fact the the exhaust is getting filtered through the cats and the mufflers first. Just my thought. Not sure if his wideband was clean or not.

12.2 is good boost!:)

I don't have X-3 I got xcal2 with mine!

The dyno guy/tuner told me something about changeing the timing a couple of degrees (2-3) and that should fix the a/f and net more power!

MPH in the quarter mile = Horsepower my best mph was 117.91 I have seen others with trap speed of 121.xx With same mods. I understand that differnt climates will give differant results.

Note: First dyno with stage II only was done at 500miles 503hp & 489tq a/f 10.6 and boost 12.2 peak.

second dyno was with exhaust added to stage II with 1500miles 530hp & 513tq. No a/f or boost was recorded. (special dyno day $25) But I did win $100 bucks for the highest numbers of the day.:D

once I get everthing that I want on the car I will have a custom dyno done.

thanks
JJ

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Sounds like a few if's, and's and could have been's. This is why I try to make the point that if we don't have 100% true and accurate testing, readings and normal results we can't simply point fingers at the tuner.

See what I mean?
With your X-2 you still have adjustability.

BEWARE, if your dyno operator told you fooling with timing will change your A/F then please do not let him touch your car or tuner.

If you need to lean your A/F then pull fuel in 2-4% increments at a time. DON"T TOUCH TIMING.

Find a reputable shop in your area that has worked with GT500's and get all readings, including A/F. timing and boost.

Good luck
Jay

·
Registered
483 Posts
What type dyno was the pull on....a Mustang dyno will yield lower results (real load numbers)...as opposed to a dynojet which will give higher numbers.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My understanding is the Mustang Dyno may be lower, but it's the one that's factual.........

·
Registered
861 Posts
What type dyno was the pull on....a Mustang dyno will yield lower results (real load numbers)...as opposed to a dynojet which will give higher numbers.
DYNOJET

·
Registered
861 Posts
That answers that...dynojets are always @ 8% higher. Mustangs are more of a true load etc....
even more reason that my numbers should be higher! I already knew that the dynojet gave higher readings but didn't know it was 8% thanks
JJ

Tuner didn't say adjust the timing to correct the a/f. He said it is really rich and could probably use some timimg too. I can't find my dyno sheet to see exactly where the timming was. But I know the a/f was 10.6 and the max boost was 12.2. I have looked but haven't found it bottomline is I need another tune. It is safe, but is wasting fuel and lacking some potential power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts