Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
322 Posts
I know this is not apples to apples but on by 2008 GT 500 I have a JLT 123. I run about the same 2 deg AIT over ambient while moving. My car has been data logged many times and the JLT provides plenty of air to the TB. I have the grill mounted cold air kit that routes air to the filter box instead of the brakes so it is similar to the snorkel on the 2020's
Without the increased air to the TB my "tune" would not be where its at and thus less HP.

Bottom line, the JLT feeds enough air though the power band which is more than the stock box.

·
Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
146 Posts
The only time I see high IATs is when I’m stop and go traffic and that’s true for either setup. Once the car gets moving the temps drop. High temps won’t affect anything while you’re not under boost and we’re talking 10-15 degrees with an ECU smart enough to know what’s going on. If you’re looking to run your ECU tune to the ragged edge and rely on specific temp ranges then you have more money and time than I do.

So no, there is no real “concern” of intake temps with either setup. As for a side by side comparison I can’t give you anything. But to me it doesn’t matter based on the information I posted above.
Ok I got ya. So this is good information. I’ve been thinking of installing one but the conflicting info had put me off. So to it up you would say is with the 400 bucks vs the stock one? Better sound/seat of the pants feel?

·
Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
146 Posts
I know this is not apples to apples but on by 2008 GT 500 I have a JLT 123. I run about the same 2 deg AIT over ambient while moving. My car has been data logged many times and the JLT provides plenty of air to the TB. I have the grill mounted cold air kit that routes air to the filter box instead of the brakes so it is similar to the snorkel on the 2020's
Without the increased air to the TB my "tune" would not be where its at and thus less HP.

Bottom line, the JLT feeds enough air though the power band which is more than the stock box.
That’s cool. I was sort of drawn to this also because I specifically planned on not tuning this car. I do not want to lose my warranty what so ever.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
Ok I got ya. So this is good information. I’ve been thinking of installing one but the conflicting info had put me off. So to it up you would say is with the 400 bucks vs the stock one? Better sound/seat of the pants feel?
The supercharger sound isn’t much louder, I can barely hear it but it’s noticeable. As for seat of the pants, that’s subjective. A 30hp bump on a 760hp car isn’t much but I plan to further mod my car so this is a good step for me. I also go to car shows so an open intake looks more pleasing to the eye in my opinion so there’s also that. It’s up to you. If you don’t want to affect your warranty you won’t have to worry about either option. The stock box can easily be reinserted for any trips to the dealer for warranty claim. And no tune is required for an intake so you won’t have to worry about that aspect of warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What about the iat temps when driving? Some people have said they notice higher iats vs stock with hood closed when driving.
I am one of those guys...I had the JLT in my 500 for a month or so and for whatever reason as temps started to warm up here in michigan I was noticing my IATs were higher than I expected them to be for a "cold" air intake. If the outside air temp was say 80F my IAT with the JLT were 10-15 degrees higher, consistently. When I switched back to the stock intake, and it was 80F outside, my IATs were more like 5-10 degrees higher, consistently. This situation was sitting at a light or parking lot idling. When driving the JLT was 5-10 degrees higher than ambient but the stock intake temps were 0-5 degrees higher. My install with done correctly and I had my rain tray out as well.

I guess take that for what you want but that's what I was seeing. Like Brian said, it's not a BIG difference but it was one of the reasons I went back to stock. I still have the JLT so if for some reason I change my mind or I see some more "real" world application I can switch back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The supercharger sound isn’t much louder, I can barely hear it but it’s noticeable. As for seat of the pants, that’s subjective. A 30hp bump on a 760hp car isn’t much but I plan to further mod my car so this is a good step for me.
Also to Brian's point here...I went back to stock bc I didn't hear a noticeable change in supercharger whine (that I was hoping for) and I was hoping for more seat of the pants.

Your decision and how you spend your cash is your right/choice. I hope you're happy with whatever you decide. The car is such a beast stock that whatever gains that is promised with the CAI I'm not missing it! Still a total bad ass car to drive and puts huge smiles on my face, completely stock. BUT I do get the mod bug as I've had that lurking around in me since I was a teenager. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
I am one of those guys...I had the JLT in my 500 for a month or so and for whatever reason as temps started to warm up here in michigan I was noticing my IATs were higher than I expected them to be for a "cold" air intake. If the outside air temp was say 80F my IAT with the JLT were 10-15 degrees higher, consistently. When I switched back to the stock intake, and it was 80F outside, my IATs were more like 5-10 degrees higher, consistently. This situation was sitting at a light or parking lot idling. When driving the JLT was 5-10 degrees higher than ambient but the stock intake temps were 0-5 degrees higher. My install with done correctly and I had my rain tray out as well.

I guess take that for what you want but that's what I was seeing. Like Brian said, it's not a BIG difference but it was one of the reasons I went back to stock. I still have the JLT so if for some reason I change my mind or I see some more "real" world application I can switch back.
Also to Brian's point here...I went back to stock bc I didn't hear a noticeable change in supercharger whine (that I was hoping for) and I was hoping for more seat of the pants.

Your decision and how you spend your cash is your right/choice. I hope you're happy with whatever you decide. The car is such a beast stock that whatever gains that is promised with the CAI I'm not missing it! Still a total bad ass car to drive and puts huge smiles on my face, completely stock. BUT I do get the mod bug as I've had that lurking around in me since I was a teenager. lol

Excellent info, Dave -- thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The car is such a beast stock that whatever gains that is promised with the CAI I'm not missing it! Still a total bad ass car to drive and puts huge smiles on my face, completely stock.
Completely this for me! I felt the need to mod my 2011. I don’t feel that need with the 2020.

2011 needed more power... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better handling...the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed nicer wheels... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed brake mods... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better traction... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needs better shifting (never fixed)... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better exhaust note... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better drive shaft... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better cooling (partially fixed)... 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better gauges... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed a PCV oil separator... the 2020 already has it.

What the 2011 has over the 2020:

A sexier engine bay, especially since I added the polished Whipple and matching tanks/caps.
Better vinyl stripes, but the painted stripes on the 2020 are better yet.
2011 is lighter, but the 2020 makes up for it with power, bigger brakes and better handling.

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

·
Registered
222 Posts
Completely this for me! I felt the need to mod my 2011. I don’t feel that need with the 2020.

2011 needed more power... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better handling...the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed nicer wheels... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed brake mods... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better traction... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needs better shifting (never fixed)... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better exhaust note... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better drive shaft... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better cooling (partially fixed)... 2020 already has it.
2011 needed better gauges... the 2020 already has it.
2011 needed a PCV oil separator... the 2020 already has it.

What the 2011 has over the 2020:

A sexier engine bay, especially since I added the polished Whipple and matching tanks/caps.
Better vinyl stripes, but the painted stripes on the 2020 are better yet.
2011 is lighter, but the 2020 makes up for it with power, bigger brakes and better handling.
You've done an awesome job on your 2011! That car is gorgeous, I love it. And you've also customized your 2020 just as you like it to be and that's really what I'm getting at with putting my stock intake back on, it's just a personal preference at this point. I'm not knocking anyone that wants to run a JLT CAI on their cars, I just personally didn't get as much out of it as I wanted or expected. Who knows, maybe I'll plop it back in a give it another try, that's the beauty of tinkering around with performance cars! 🤟🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,603 Posts
I just wanted to point out a few things. From what I reading there is a concern over slightly higher IATs. Were you monitoring the condition of elevated IATs? Did it only happen when the car was stopped? IAT is the intake temperature. Manifold charge temperature is what matters (IAT2) in the final assessment. Your inlet air is much more sensitive to heat from the engine bay which is more likely to happen when stopped with an open element air filter. 5-10 degree rise at the inlet is negligable.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just wanted to point out a few things. From what I reading there is a concern over slightly higher IATs. Were you monitoring the condition of elevated IATs? Did it only happen when the car was stopped? IAT is the intake temperature. Manifold charge temperature is what matters (IAT2) in the final assessment. Your inlet air is much more sensitive to heat from the engine bay which is more likely to happen when stopped with an open element air filter. 5-10 degree rise at the inlet is negligable.
It’s not called “IAT2” in the 2020+. It’s “MCT” and can be read on the dash.

Reactions: Evolvd

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,603 Posts
It’s not called “IAT2” in the 2020+. It’s “MCT” and can be read on the dash.
Isn't that's what I said??? I just spelled it out instead of throwing out an acronym. I added the IAT2 reference for those that are familiar with the location of the sensor in the older cars. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's just a sensor located downstream of the intercooler.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Isn't that's what I said??? I just spelled it out instead of throwing out an acronym. I added the IAT2 reference for those that are familiar with the location of the sensor in the older cars. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's just a sensor located downstream of the intercooler.
Kinda sorta... just making sure people know that the gauge on their digital dash labeled “MCT” has replaced IAT2 from the previous generation. New owners are often looking for IAT2 on the dash and cannot find it and not everyone has seen the “MCT” acronym.

Reactions: TMC GT500

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Iconic/Ebony stripes, 2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk
9 Posts
Kinda sorta... just making sure people know that the gauge on their digital dash labeled “MCT” has replaced IAT2 from the previous generation. New owners are often looking for IAT2 on the dash and cannot find it and not everyone has seen the “MCT” acronym.
thanks! I had only seen MCT in reference to a Multi clutch transmission like on my old Mercedes E63S AMG. I was wondering why they had two transmission temps..lol

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m sold, ordering one now. Great investment and least evasive way of making more horsepower. Thanks for sharing!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts