Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
'13 GT500 - Red Candy Metallic w/ White Stripes
168 Posts
40hp and 25ft/lb is pretty impressive. Especially without any tuning or optimization.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,156 Posts
That's a nice, cheap, and safe extra kick in the pants. My only gripe, I wish it still used the factory sealed airbox. I liked that about the 2020.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts
Awesome. More whine? Or same? Anyone who have this mod pls advise.

Reactions: Socal2fast

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would assume more whine with the open air box. Add a pulley/tune and it will make more noise. I have seen some YouTube drive by videos with a fair amount of whine... much more than stock. An intake/pulley (and possibly a port) are probably why.

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
210 Posts
More whine for sure and an awesome vacuum suction sound on up and down shifts, but most notable on downshifts coming to a stop when the exhaust isn't screaming.

One thing I noticed is that running with the rain tray installed under the hood vent has a pretty drastic effect on intake air temps. Granted it was 108 here yesterday but with the rain tray installed I was seeing IAT up to 135-140 F at a stop and between 120 -125 F going between 40 and 60 mph. With the rain tray off IAT was around 120-125 F at a stop and between 109-113 F going 40 to 60 mph. Obviously the hood vent does what it's supposed to do A LOT better when 90% of it isn't blocked off by the rain tray.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More whine for sure and an awesome vacuum suction sound on up and down shifts, but most notable on downshifts coming to a stop when the exhaust isn't screaming.

One thing I noticed is that running with the rain tray installed under the hood vent has a pretty drastic effect on intake air temps. Granted it was 108 here yesterday but with the rain tray installed I was seeing IAT up to 135-140 F at a stop and between 120 -125 F going between 40 and 60 mph. With the rain tray off IAT was around 120-125 F at a stop and between 109-113 F going 40 to 60 mph. Obviously the hood vent does what it's supposed to do A LOT better when 90% of it is blocked off by the rain tray.
That’s good info! Thanks for sharing! (y)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking at this.

I did get the Extended Warranty on my car. Will this do anything on the Ford Car Warranty?

Also what changes good or bad with the sound of the car?

Thanks

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at this.

I did get the Extended Warranty on my car. Will this do anything on the Ford Car Warranty?

Also what changes good or bad with the sound of the car?

Thanks
Since no tune is required, an intake alone will not affect your warranty. If you are truly worried about it, simply swap intakes before going in for any work.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good video. I would also like to see the stock and Jlt installed runs with the camera on the dash gauge showing A/F ratio, or better yet data logged. Does it really stay the same with the Jlt installed? If yes a really great Mod. Thx

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
322 Posts
I think the best test would be a dyno in a wind tunnel, simulate real world conditions. Hood closed and 60, 100, 150 mph wind at the front end.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
I’m curious how it wouldn’t provide an increase in real world conditions. The stock intake was tested against this one in back to back runs. The fact of the car moving should be inconsequential. But hey, that’s just my limited understanding of suck, squish, bang, blow.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m curious how it wouldn’t provide an increase in real world conditions. The stock intake was tested against this one in back to back runs. The fact of the car moving should be inconsequential. But hey, that’s just my limited understanding of suck, squish, bang, blow.
Any restrictions on airflow the stock intake has will be less when air is forced into the intake under pressure with forward movement since there is a fresh air “snorkel” in the grille. Simply removing the top off the factory air box will have a more free flow of air while stationary on the dyno, but this might not translate to real world gains once you add the pressurized snorkel air with movement.

The JLT intake has an open top, allowing a free flow of air with the hood open. Close the hood and add more air getting rammed into the snorkel and it’s now a different dynamic. The evidence is conclusive that the JLT intake provides a power bump in a dyno setting. I would just like to see some hard evidence the intake also bumps power over stock while in driving conditions.

Reactions: ShadowBLK500

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
Any restrictions on airflow the stock intake has will be less when air is forced into the intake under pressure with forward movement since there is a fresh air “snorkel” in the grille. Simply removing the top off the factory air box will have a more free flow of air while stationary on the dyno, but this might not translate to real world gains once you add the pressurized snorkel air with movement.

The JLT intake has an open top, allowing a free flow of air with the hood open. Close the hood and add more air getting rammed into the snorkel and it’s now a different dynamic. The evidence is conclusive that the JLT intake provides a power bump in a dyno setting. I would just like to see some hard evidence the intake also bumps power over stock while in driving conditions.
I don’t think anyone has proven the stock box is ever pressurized and that’s a stretch since it’s not a sealed system anyways. The box has a huge gap where it meets the fender and the only thing between the two is a piece of foam.

Considering the throttle is open I’d contend there is either an equal balance or a sight vacuum depending on vehicle load. There’s no way to determine if there is indeed a positive pressure without specialized equipment. And any positive pressure created would leak out through the foam.

It would seem the larger JLT filter and tube provide less restriction allowing the supercharger to breathe easier. I don’t see how movement of the air will change that considering neither system is sealed.

·
Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
146 Posts
What about the iat temps when driving? Some people have said they notice higher iats vs stock with hood closed when driving.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t think anyone has proven the stock box is ever pressurized and that’s a stretch since it’s not a sealed system anyways. The box has a huge gap where it meets the fender and the only thing between the two is a piece of foam.

Considering the throttle is open I’d contend there is either an equal balance or a sight vacuum depending on vehicle load. There’s no way to determine if there is indeed a positive pressure without specialized equipment. And any positive pressure created would leak out through the foam.

It would seem the larger JLT filter and tube provide less restriction allowing the supercharger to breathe easier. I don’t see how movement of the air will change that considering neither system is sealed.
I am not claiming the stock airbox is “pressurized” with forward movement. What I’m saying is there is more air available due to the higher air pressure in the grille. If you installed a pressure gauge, I don’t believe you would see any measurable difference with movement versus non movement, but if you measured the volume of air entering the throttle, I would expect a difference between the stationary readings and forward movement readings.

Reactions: Evolvd

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
What about the iat temps when driving? Some people have said they notice higher iats vs stock with hood closed when driving.
They vary depending on engine load and air conditions. I’ve seen 2 degrees over ambient cruising down the highway and up to 15 degrees over ambient while moving around surface streets.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
I am not claiming the stock airbox is “pressurized” with forward movement. What I’m saying is there is more air available due to the higher air pressure in the grille. If you installed a pressure gauge, I don’t believe you would see any measurable difference with movement versus non movement, but if you measured the volume of air entering the throttle, I would expect a difference between the stationary readings and forward movement readings.
Ah ok, you threw me off when you said “pressurized snorkel air”. But unless someone can show otherwise I’m betting the lower restriction of the JLT filter and intake tube will allow the motor to breathe better in motion just like it does on a dyno.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2021 Race Red Shelby GT500
146 Posts
They vary depending on engine load and air conditions. I’ve seen 2 degrees over ambient cruising down the highway and up to 15 degrees over ambient while moving around surface streets.
Fair enough but I guess the real question is. How much over the stock air box is that? Meaning are you generally running higher iats with the jlt vs stock?

I just want to get some facts correct. We know it makes more power on the dynohood open. I think we know it makes more power on the street with regular driving and when pushing the car? Do we also know if it generally runs higher iats vs stock under all those same conditions? If so is there Any concern? Meaning is running 10-12 degrees higher iat with the jlt master it worth it? Isn’t that roving the power gains by having it there in the first place? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
Fair enough but I guess the real question is. How much over the stock air box is that? Meaning are you generally running higher iats with the jlt vs stock?

I just want to get some facts correct. We know it makes more power on the dynohood open. I think we know it makes more power on the street with regular driving and when pushing the car? Do we also know if it generally runs higher iats vs stock under all those same conditions? If so is there Any concern? Meaning is running 10-12 degrees higher iat with the jlt master it worth it? Isn’t that roving the power gains by having it there in the first place? Or am I wrong?
The only time I see high IATs is when I’m stop and go traffic and that’s true for either setup. Once the car gets moving the temps drop. High temps won’t affect anything while you’re not under boost and we’re talking 10-15 degrees with an ECU smart enough to know what’s going on. If you’re looking to run your ECU tune to the ragged edge and rely on specific temp ranges then you have more money and time than I do.

So no, there is no real “concern” of intake temps with either setup. As for a side by side comparison I can’t give you anything. But to me it doesn’t matter based on the information I posted above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts