Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed one of these kits yet? You know, the kit that has the 2 hoses that go from the alum bezels on lower grill to just under the CAI filter. Looks like there was a price drop. Just wondered if it was due to nobody using it for fresh air and more opting for the front brake cooling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've looked into these kits -- JLT has a pretty good reputation as does the Ford Racing kit. Plenty of owners on this site have installed them -- hopefully they'll chime in with better information.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clarification: "Fresh Air" kit is the one that has the 2 hoses hooked up to the alum bezels on lower grill. I already have a CAI system.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
We had a price drop a few weeks after it's release and it was due to a price drop in the materials used in the kit.
First for me, but yes, we got better pricing for the same material and passed it on to the customer.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone have any experience with how well these work? I know JLT has a great reputation, but do they cause any problems with the MAF Meter? I am going to pick up a Ford CAI (I like the more factory look), but would like to get this kit, anything to help force in some cooler air is a bonus.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was thinking of getting this kit as well. I wonder what difference if any in power?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
It might help a little on an open track course. The aftermarket CAI kits use such large open filters that they suck in a lot of hot engine air. IMO, the best use of the bezels is to use for brake cooling in track usage, and they do look really cool.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have them, installed, and I personally think (no data) that this brings fresh COOLER air directly up to the area beneath the large cone filter, and therefore assists with "COLD" air intake... which is what it's all about! Cold air = more power.
With the JLT provided bracket restricting most of the warmer engineroom air, I feel it helps a lot.

JMO of course.

I don't drive mine 'hard' enough to warrant extra brake cooling ...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I found the JLT brake cooling kit, but not the fresh air kit... Do you have a link? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I have them, installed, and I personally think (no data) that this brings fresh COOLER air directly up to the area beneath the large cone filter, and therefore assists with "COLD" air intake... which is what it's all about! Cold air = more power.
With the JLT provided bracket restricting most of the warmer engineroom air, I feel it helps a lot.

JMO of course.

I don't drive mine 'hard' enough to warrant extra brake cooling ...
+1
I also have the Fresh Air kit.

Unless you run your car on a road course, oval track or are extremely careless in your brake usage brake cooling is not needed.

Black09 said:
Anyone have any experience with how well these work? I know JLT has a great reputation, but do they cause any problems with the MAF Meter? I am going to pick up a Ford CAI (I like the more factory look), but would like to get this kit, anything to help force in some cooler air is a bonus.
The fresh air kit only makes the cooler air available to the CAI, it doesn't "force feed" the engine so I would think there is 0 affect of the MAF Meter. Some of the more knowledgeable members may think otherwise. :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
"Early testing showed a drop in IAT's by 1-2 degrees." 1-2 degrees is an insignificant difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
didnot mean to go too off subject here but I wnated yall's opinion on this new bbk cold air kit system claiming 50 rwhp and 33 rwt on stock 09 gt500 without a tune. Is this possible I know bbk claims it on website and even has video to prove it but I am not sure about not tuning will this cause harm in the long run?? Curious on your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
The tuning is dependent on the tube size I believe. If the BBK is the same size as the factory where the MAF sensor mounts, you should be ok without a tune. A tune will still help you pick up some extra power though. Since most cold air kits are yielding about 90 rwhp with a tune, you're still leaving half the power on the table if you don't tune it. The JLT fresh air kit would work with this set up too, to get back on topic :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts