Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Has anyone heard conclusively if this CAI will void the powertrain warranty? I'd really like to get one, but I have issues with voiding the warranty right off the bat on a $50K car.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone heard conclusively if this CAI will void the powertrain warranty?

That's determined by your local service rep....generally speaking a catback or a intake will not be challenged. Call your service rep....

On second thought...I think all intake upgrades on 05 and up GT's and 500's may require a tune alteration...that may jepordize the warranty.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
That's determined by your local service rep....generally speaking a catback or a intake will not be challenged. Call your service rep....

On second thought...I think all intake upgrades on 05 and up GT's and 500's may require a tune alteration...that may jepordize the warranty.
Yeah, I think it's the tune that causes the problem. The JLT CAI does require a tune per the above link. :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well, I will be modding away when/if I get mine...warranty will be gone from day 1.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone heard conclusively if this CAI will void the powertrain warranty? I'd really like to get one, but I have issues with voiding the warranty right off the bat on a $50K car.

Some places use "void warranty" very loose. My understanding is that warranty is not "voided" but that the item that brakes might not be covered if caused by a mob. But you still have warranty. I have talked to my dealer who at first said warranty will be voided but when i pinned them down on it they agreed with me> Check out this link I think it is saying the same thing I am.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/warranty_article.pdf

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some places use "void warranty" very loose. My understanding is that warranty is not "voided" but that the item that brakes might be covered if caused by a mob. But you still have warranty. I have talked to my dealer who at first said warranty will be voided but when i pinned them down on it they agreed with me> Check out this link I think it is saying the same thing I am.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/warranty_article.pdf
I'm with you 100%, however, the reality is that most will try to void your warranty if the tune is altered. They are banking that the cost to take them to court will be more than paying for the repairs....they are generally correct in this regard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe so but it will bad on them in court if the manager of their own warranty analysis department doesnt agree with them.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I have answered this in depth in the past.If I have time I will find it.Anything cosmetic is ok.Axle backs/cat backs the factory will accept.Anything else can void your warranty,even oil!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have answered this in depth in the past.If I have time I will find it.Anything cosmetic is ok.Axle backs/cat backs the factory will accept.Anything else can void your warranty,even oil!
Makes sense to me. You start messing with a tune etc.....it touches so many areas of a vehicle you don't even take into account. Warranties suck anyways...case in point: I just noticed on my Jeep that the paint was coming off the lower front spoiler (brand new 06 have had for 3 months) so they take some pics and say we will get back to you??!??!!??! They have to send the pics to Chrysler to see if it will be covered.....I chuckled a little and said, "...you see where the paint is coming off, correct? She said yes...I kind of gave her the "this isn't rocket science" look and shook my head. I told her let me know when it needs to come in and I want the entire front clip repainted and the entire vehicle waxed. We'll see.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Think the point is still being missed here. People are still calling it "warranty voided" that doesnt seem to be what Joe Bradley from Fords warranty is saying. He never uses "voided warranty" in his letter. Read the last paragraph. You still have a warranty, maybe the one thing that broke wont be covered but you still have the warranty. Just because you have mods on your car if something breaks that can be shown to be defective you will be covered. If the mod caused it it wont be covered. Thats not the same as "warranty voided".

·
Registered
257 Posts
Think the point is still being missed here. People are still calling it "warranty voided" that doesnt seem to be what Joe Bradley from fords warranty is saying. He never uses voided in his letter. Read the last paragraph. You still have a warranty, maybe the one thing that broke wont be covered but you still have the warranty. Just because you have mods on your car if something breaks that can be shown to be defective you will be covered. If the mod caused it it wont be covered. Thats not the same as "warranty voided".
I would tend to agree with this analogy...If Ford, and I quote, "is going to embrace the fact that mods will be performed on the GT500" (Hau Thai-Tang), I find it hard to believe they will contradict themselves by being "warranty void crazy" on everything that gets changed on these cars...I would also encourage owners to develop a good working relationship with their dealers, reps and service managers. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Think the point is still being missed here. People are still calling it "warranty voided" that doesnt seem to be what Joe Bradley from Fords warranty is saying. He never uses "voided warranty" in his letter. Read the last paragraph. You still have a warranty, maybe the one thing that broke wont be covered but you still have the warranty. Just because you have mods on your car if something breaks that can be shown to be defective you will be covered. If the mod caused it it wont be covered. Thats not the same as "warranty voided".
Agree, AC. I think we have a problem with terminology rather than interpretation. True, your warranty is not automatically "void" if you mod your car, but if your engine blows up, and you have modified the engine/computer, I think there is little chance the Ford will fix it under the warranty. It would be very difficult to prove beyond a doubt that your mod did not cause the problem, and Ford will do everything in their power to not pay out. So, looking at it in this way, the mod "voided" the warranty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agree, AC. I think we have a problem with terminology rather than interpretation. True, your warranty is not automatically "void" if you mod your car, but if your engine blows up, and you have modified the engine/computer, I think there is little chance the Ford will fix it under the warranty. It would be very difficult to prove beyond a doubt that your mod did not cause the problem, and Ford will do everything in their power to not pay out. So, looking at it in this way, the mod "voided" the warranty.
True enough

You still have possibilty to show it was a defect in parts or workmanship but slim chance of that. But even if you had to pay for fix Im sure your warranty is still there though compromized by mods. What got me thinking about it is my brothers 2006 mustang gt. He had a Roush supercharger installed at his ford dealership. They told him the ford warranty was voided and that Roush would give him a one year warranty. He had bought the extended ford warranty and Ford was to give him back his money at the end of his ford credit payments. I showed him the letter from Joe Bradley, he took it to his dealer and they said he was right and gave him his ford warranty back but it would exclude coverage of the Roush caused failures if any.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts