Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLT CAI warranty implications?

2020+ 
7K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  mavisky 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if adding a JLT no tune CAI to “the beast” (to make it “beastier” so to speak) will having any implications on the standard or extended warranty from Ford? Seriously considering undertaking if no issues.

#2 ·
Zero issue. If you add a tune, you may or may not be headed to voiding your warranty. A friend of mine had a pulley/intake/tune on his 2020 and one of the cylinders ended up getting toasted... he was able to get a new engine under warranty!

Reactions: PerfectoGT
#5 ·
I know who did it... it was a local tuner. No one you would know unless you lived nearby.

#7 ·
You don’t understand the 2020. Your statement was true with the S197 GT500.

Reactions: Chach805
#8 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if adding a JLT no tune CAI to “the beast” (to make it “beastier” so to speak) will having any implications on the standard or extended warranty from Ford? Seriously considering undertaking if no issues.
Ford had " learning " computers in these cars going back to at least 2010. If the CAI does nothing, then your cars computer doesn't have to " change " anything. If the CAI changes anything, air flow, etc., your cars computer will make adjustments to deal with the changes. The computer " remembers " these adjustments, there is a paper trail..

#10 ·
Incorrect! The open filter box and larger tube JLT flows better than the stock closed box unit. This has proven to add roughly 30hp during dyno runs on the 2020 GT500 without changing the tune. There is no “paper trail.” Simply pulling the negative battery cable will reset any adaptive learning the computer has done if you later wanted to put the stock intake back on the car. This last part would be the same with your 2014.

#9 ·
I think decisions concerning warranty coverage is predominantly the call of individual dealerships if the failure is not blatantly apparent. They've got some wiggle room as to how far they can stretch their decision. I also think a non-stock tune can give them ammunition to deny your warranty claim if something goes haywire. It all boils down to how "flexible" the dealership is when it comes to coverage.

#19 ·
Many satisfied customers have done this mod on FB. If you are looking for extra horsepower with more supercharger whine that does not affect your warranty, this is the mod. If you don’t care about the warranty, getting the car tuned will net even more power, but that was not the OPs question. He specifically asked if adding the JLT intake without a tune affects the warranty. The answer is no, it does not affect the warranty. You incorrectly answered his question with 07-14 GT500 knowledge, which simply does not apply to this car.

#18 ·
The big gain will be changing the throttle body also. The cai is significantly larger than the factory throttle body and until you increase that throttle body size you won’t see a huge gain. I’ve got a dyno and been checking out the strategy with my tuning software. I am waiting a while to put some more miles on my car. Then I’m going to do a apple to oranges test. The factory tune is a little conservative but no means pig rich. Commanding a 12.4 at Wot. There’s a little room to lean that out a smidge and maybe can add a degree I’d say a tune alone can net probably about 15whp but to be honest I’d rather keep mine a little rich. The claim i think is close to valid about the 30whp but won’t know until I run it. And like y’all have been discussing the 2020 is speed density much like 15+ ecoboosts and doesn’t depend on metered air. Where our other models depend on metered air so a change in the size of the air inlet automatically calls foe an adjustment of the transfer function. But it seems as if y’all have hashed it out.

#23 ·
The video used regular MAF Mustangs. I would like to see a similar video using a speed density GT500 before coming to the same conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.