Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:simmadown: (Did search, but found little info.)

Just finished the install (a royal b_tch), and took the car for a test run. The back seat was still out so I may be hearing more niose than normal, but there is a loud "clunk" (I know, it's supposed to be more pronounced now with better bushings) on take off and slow downs. I installed the "anti-clunk" washers like the instructions said. The only thing I could have done different was to re-torque the nut on the bushing, but I could not get my torque wrench in that area well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
:boohoo:

Don't know what to say that would be helpful. But I hear you 100% about how difficult it is to get up there and torque the S.O.B.!!! :info-smilie:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you notice any improvements over the stock unit. More specifically, did it reduce wheel hop anymore than just changing the lower arms for aftermarket units?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zero, Zippo, nada wheel hop. It was mostly gone with the LCAs, but I lallready had the UCA so I spent a good part of the day installing it.:shinner:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed the LCA on my car last year and wheel hop is gone by a good 90%... But god dammit I have just started to get a horrible creak in the rear suspension... Tried adding grease through the grease nipple but did nothing... Gonna try re-torquing the nuts tomorrow... damn, damn, damn friggin' damn..! :(

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, talk about raising a thread from the dead (it's Easter, so what tha hey). Your not going to get any quieter with stiffer mods, it's a tradeoff. Noise vs. traction vs. going insane (ok insane part already there). My car plants and goes like stink with no hopping like the Easter bunny, but it has more NVH. I have since switched to BMR UCA and UCA mount and it is still alittle noisy

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Did you notice any improvements over the stock unit. More specifically, did it reduce wheel hop anymore than just changing the lower arms for aftermarket units?
I installed the J&M UCA only (OEM LCAs) and it took care of my wheel hop. Installation was a PIA; I was using jack stands and a creeper. A lift would make it much better. :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow, talk about raising a thread from the dead
Yeah I know sorry about that but as I mentioned I have just started to get squeaking from the back suspension, I did notice the NVH after installation and like yourself was willing to put up with it for the extra traction but this squeaking has started almost 2 months (On the road time, 8 months in real time) after install. I am wondering if something is coming loose etc. I did add grease and I also noticed that the torque of the bolts was around 15 ft/lbs (this is a guess as my torque wrench was set at 20 and it tightened up before the torque wrench clicked). I have contacted Metco for a proper torque setting and try again... Will I need to get new bolts or are these not one time use...?

I have since switched to BMR UCA and UCA mount and it is still a little noisy
As mentioned above road noise I can put up with but not the squeaking... It drives me mad..! :silly:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bolts can be reused. torque the suckers as hard as you can with out breaking them, mine are prob around 70-80 ft-bls (prob more). also make sure your nuts on the UCA are tight if you did any adjustments. Sqeaking sounds like somethings rubbing, or like i would do, install something backwards. I have spent more time on my rear end than any other area (don't go there man, you know!) checking and re-torquing bolts/nuts and seeing if everything was installed correctly. So far it has and I still have noise, just the way it is. But sqeaking usually can be tracked down easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got it sorted out... No squeaking now..!

New bushings and re-torqued at the dealership..!

All grip and no squeak..!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Got it sorted out... No squeaking now..!

New bushings and re-torqued at the dealership..!

All grip and no squeak..!
I have the FRPP kit and the J&M uppers and lowers to install. Did you happen to ask the Ford mechanics what they were using to get on the bolts to torque them? Special tool? Do the sway bar busing need any lube? That squeaking would drive me nuts too, glad you found it.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Gassman,
Do you still have the J&M UCA clunk or did you find a fix? I think I may have the same issue.....
Frisco

1 - 15 of 15 Posts