Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Not sure of the best place to post this question, but here goes:

Is the 2021 Shadow Black a solid paint or a pearl paint, pearl meaning to me that it’s metallic or has little flakes in it. To my eyes, it’s solid.

I have read that Ford has used G1 to refer to Shadow Black and also Absolute Black (maybe even other blacks) and that apparently over the years “black” has fluctuated from metallic to non-metallic. I see I can order both solid and pearl as touch up paint. I see G1 on my door panel.

Figured someone here might know the right answer? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
Hi all.

Is the 2021 Shadow Black a solid paint or a pearl paint, pearl meaning to me that it’s metallic or has little flakes in it. To my eyes, it’s solid.

I have read that Ford has used G1 to refer to Shadow Black and also Absolute Black (maybe even other blacks) and that apparently over the years “black” has fluctuated from metallic to non-metallic. I see I can order both solid and pearl as touch up paint. I see G1 on my door panel.

My 16 GT350 was shadow black no flake in it at all. I checked out a 20 and 21 GT500 yesterday in Surprise AZ neither one had any flake in the paint. Both were Shadow Black. I’m curious if the maybe had a Metalic black for other vehicles and that’s what code your seeing? If the door says G1 that’s probably the right color 😂

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don’t see any flake either. So I’m guessing solid. I had a BMW that was metallic black and my 21 GT500 doesn’t seem to have the same sparkle.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Yeah I don’t see any flake either. So I’m guessing solid. I had a BMW that was metallic black and my 21 GT500 doesn’t seem to have the same sparkle.
It’s been a while since I’ve seen a Ford with black metallic paint. I absolutely love black but AZ dust also loves them 😂

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Shadow Black is the same mix as Ebony (UA), which is 100% black toner. No flake, pure black. Be careful when purchasing touch up paint as 100% toner isn't cheap and many try and bamboozle you with GM fleet black , which is "black" but doesn't have the depth that the Ford black has. Also GM fleet black is like $80 a gallon (unreduced). Not exactly top notch quality but gets it done. I always suggest buying a pint of manufacturer approved unreduced paint and then some high grade urethane reducer. Dab the reducer into the rock chip, then dab the paint (always dab paint, never brush it). Wait for it to flash and hit it with a little unactivated clear. The reducer helps to blend the edges and with some wet sanding and compound/polish you can get it nearly perfect (no halo).

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
Hi all.

Moved your post here to our general section.

My painted stripes are that color. They are neither metallic nor a pearl... Rapid Red is both.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 build day 8/12
121 Posts
My 18 GT350R Shadow Black definitely had blue flakes in it. My detailer even commented on it. If you get a flashlight up close to the paint you can see the flakes sparkle. It's very very subtle and you may need readers on but it's there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
looked up the paint code for Ford G1 in the paint mix computer
there is a listing for 02-06 cars in EUROPE called Honor Green PPG formula # 917442
there are also 13 other model cars that use the same paint code.

and ford in US called Absolute Black for 16 and newer cars. PPG formula # 939708.
there is also the same listing for ford in europe for 16 and up cars
PPG waterbase 1 oz mix measured in grams ( this is a rounded off formula. you need to mix 9 oz of paint to get a non rounded formula)
26.7 T407 black
6.9 T491 matt base
0.2 T400 white
0.2 T455 blue pearl

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
there is a listing for 02-06 cars in EUROPE called Honor Green PPG formula # 917442

and ford in US called Absolute Black for 16 and newer cars. PPG formula # 939708.
PPG waterbase 1 oz mix measured in grams ( this is a rounded off formula. you need to mix 9 oz of paint to get a non rounded formula)
26.7 T407 black
6.9 T491 matt base
0.2 T400 white
0.2 T455 blue pearl
Thanks for the info!

With my Rapid Red body color, it is a 3 stage paint… it has a base coat, a pearl coat and then the clear. This black does not have a separate pearl coat, right?

·
Registered
338 Posts
yes the black is a 2 stage paint. the pearl tint is added to the color coat then clear is sprayed over it. there isn't much pearl in it so it has to be in the right light before you see it.

yes your color is 3 stage paint.
it's a technical difference but i would call your color 3 stage CANDY paint. a LOT of manufacturers are using similar colors.
it has a a metallic pearl tinted ground coat color , then a tinted translucent clear mid coat is sprayed then a clear coat is painted on top.
the tinted mid coat gives the color it's look and helps the metallic pop out.
some manufacturers have hybrid 3 stage candy colors where there is some metallic along with the tinted mid coat for different effects.

a true "PEARL" 3 stage has a solid ground coat color. then a pearl metallic translucent mid coat, then a clear coat over everything.

just to confuse some. there are a few manufacturers using 4 stage paint.
they spray down a black ground coat, then clear is applied and fully cured.
you then sand down the clear coat perfectly smooth to 1200 grit. you go back into the booth and spray a $$$ metallic tinted color, $800 for 1/2 liter, over the black thinned out at double the usual reduction. the smooth base and the thin color combines to let the paint lay down flat and really gives you a different effect. then you clear coat over everything.
this process is similar to what they do on the KR wheels only on a much bigger scale.

also i was reading about some test cars are getting 5 stage paint. they spray a black ground coat then clear and cure. then sand smooth, then apply a special effect metallic color and let that flash off. now they apply a tinted candy mid coat then clear coat over that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

26.7 T407 black
6.9 T491 matt base
0.2 T400 white
0.2 T455 blue pearl
Thanks. So is this data saying the current G1 is a four stage paint? When I look at mine, I don’t see any Pearl. But that’s why I asked this in the first place…I know nothing and probably can’t see well either. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
i knew i put to much info in my rambling response.

G1 is 2 STAGE PAINT. BC / CC
according to the color bank computer there is a small amount of blue Peral tint in the color.

i would suggest looking at in in bright light, possibly stand back a bit and look at the light reflection in a panel curve, you should see it then.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 build day 8/12
121 Posts
I found the best way to see the blue pearl specs is to get close with a flashlight up on a quarter panel in the garage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i had a little time to investigate further.

it looks like this color is used thru the entire model lineup. it has also been in use since 2016.
there are 17 variations on this color. this is common on colors that have wide use for a long time.
most have blue pearl in it. 1 uses red pearl along with the blue. in it also. another uses violet pearl along with the blue. another uses a specialty limited use pear along with the blue. 1 doesn't use blue pearl but uses ultra fine metallic instead of the blue pearl.

1 thing for sure this color is NOT a solid non metallic color.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts