Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Invited to check out Mustang Mach-E today!

4K views 63 replies 15 participants last post by  Goose17 
#1 · (Edited)
Got invited by my local dealer to do a "meet and greet" with some pre-production Mach-e's today. (Must be a good customer after buying 3 cars there this year. I didn't get to drive it, but I did get to look it over inside and out with a Ford rep there to answer questions. Thoughts below.
Note: unlike some others, I am not really bothered by the naming - it doesn't impact me at all and I understand the business reasons for it.

Looks - consistent with what you see in pictures - what you see is what you get. Pretty good looking for a crossover

Driving position - I wish the seat went a little lower (negative side of having the battery below), but it was extremely comfortable. Slightly wider than a regular mustang seat, less side bolstering, but VERY comfortable. "Gauge cluster" screen looks great in person and I am so glad it has one - this is my major complaint with Teslas. Infotainment screen is huge, but it is laid out well and very easy to use. radio and climate controls are in fixed positions and easy to access while driving. Physical volume knob helps break up the screen and provides a quick reference to on screen button locations. Glass panoramic roof (full front to back) is stunning and really opens up the car. My wife's mini has dual sunroofs, but this is way nicer.

Rear seat - headroom is an issue here. Getting in is very challenging due to a thick side structure in the roof (really need to bend your neck down). Once in, I had enough headroom, but barely. No one over 6 foot would be comfortable back here for long. Note: Still a MASSIVE improvement from the regular mustang rear seats.

Most everything else you get from online spec sheets or photos. Overall I think it is nice, but not really what I would want right now. However, the wife wants to go electric for her next vehicle (mainly used for commuting) and I think this could be a great fit. She is currently looking at the Mini electric because she wanted something small and quirky, but that only has ~117 miles of range vs. ~300 for the extended range Mach-e. We shall see - it is likely a few years away.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got invited by my local dealer to do a "meet and greet" with some pre-production Mach-e's today. (Must be a good customer after buying 3 cars there this year. I didn't get to drive it, but I did get to look it over inside and out with a Ford rep there to answer questions. Thoughts below.
Note: unlike some others, I am not really bothered by the naming - it doesn't impact me at all and I understand the business reasons for it.

Looks - consistent with what you see in pictures - what you see is what you get. Pretty good looking for a crossover

Driving position - I wish the seat went a little lower (negative side of having the battery below), but it was extremely comfortable. Slightly wider than a regular mustang seat, less side bolstering, but VERY comfortable. "Gauge cluster" screen looks great in person and I am so glad it has one - this is my major complaint with Teslas. Infotainment screen is huge, but it is laid out well and very easy to use. radio and climate controls are in fixed positions and easy to access while driving. Physical volume knob helps break up the screen and provides a quick reference to on screen button locations. Glass panoramic roof (full front to back) is stunning and really opens up the car. My wife's mini has dual sunroofs, but this is way nicer.

Rear seat - headroom is an issue here. Getting in is very challenging due to a thick side structure in the roof (really need to bend your neck down). Once in, I had enough headroom, but barely. No one over 6 foot would be comfortable back here for long. Note: Still a MASSIVE improvement from the regular mustang rear seats.

Most everything else you get from online spec sheets or photos. Overall I think it is nice, but not really what I would want right now. However, the wife wants to go electric for her next vehicle (mainly used for commuting) and I think this could be a great fit. She is currently looking at the Mini electric because she wanted something small and quirky, but that only has ~117 miles of range vs. ~300 for the extended range Mach-e. We shall see - it is likely a few years away.
Awesome opportunity Tom!

I feel the same... the pilfered Mustang name does not bother me in the least. This is a strong contender for my wife’s next vehicle.

I moved this to it’s own thread so it doesn’t get lost to time in the “what did you do today” thread.

#6 ·
Might need to start a thread - Your Car is NOT a Mustang! lol

Dodge puts R/T decals on minivans and other junk, does not make it a Road and Track vehicle. It does make me laugh every time I see it. Im sure this Ford thing will give people the same reaction. Ford Jokestang.

#8 ·
Having one as a daily commute vehicle seems like a great idea. My commute is only 9 miles one way. I have zero problems having an electric vehicle for just that purpose. As long as I can still have my high horsepower, gas-guzzling toy for weekend duty. I do NOT want any politician dictating, by law, that we can no longer have our internal combustion engine vehicles. We don't need George Orwell telling us what we can and cannot do.

#9 ·
Very cool.

I know someone who received his build date update for December...one of the first.

He owns a 66GT350 (restored) and a (can't remember the year now) 67 289 Convertible. I guess if he's ok with the name....

#10 ·
Very cool, thanks for the report!!

I also don't have any problem with Ford's application of the Mustang name. It means that Mustang is no longer just "a car"... It is an attitude, a style, a spirit.

It's quite a tribute, that Ford would see so much brand-equity in the Mustang nameplate, that they would gamble the entire future of the company on it's power and resonance.

I think they'll do very well. Away from the forums, away from all us fuel-guzzling performance freaks, I hear and see so much buzz for the Mach-E. Mostly females who could give a rat's ass about owning an actual 2-door Mustang, but are EXTREMELY drawn to sharing in the "cool factor" of the styling/aura/mystique that the Mustang nameplate brings with it.

I see die-hard old-school Mustang fans ripping it to shreds... And pretty much the rest of the universe excited to see it coming.

#11 ·
I see die-hard old-school Mustang fans ripping it to shreds... And pretty much the rest of the universe excited to see it coming.
Which sums up why Ford did what they're doing. They didn't need to capture the old-school fan with this vehicle. They needed to capture current and potential Tesla (and other EV) owners. Two completely different markets, sharing a common name for one reason... Lineage, History, and Heritage. It's a sales tactic and the people who are going to buy it, don't care.

#17 ·
Watched the entire video. What a turd sandwich and disgrace to the name Mustang. I mean this thing has more in common with a Ford F150 than a Mustang. Plastering horses on a car doesn't make it a Mustang. Ford has lost their G-D mind.

Also take away the Mustang nonsense and you are left with one ugly vehicle with poor design and material usage. Fake leather, ugly dash with huge tablet in the middle (why?) bushwhackers...absolutely the worst vehicle from Ford Ive seen in my lifetime and there has been some real stinkers... this one wins by a country mile!

#15 ·
Me thinks these guys are not “idiots,” but rather smart marketing gurus. I bet these vehicles sell well.

#16 ·
I’m sure we will be looking into this pretty soon. I’m not the bigges fan of the name just plain Mach E would have been fine with us. She drives one of those ecosports and pretty soon we’ll be passing that to our daughter and have been thinking about electric vehicles. For her she drives 50 miles a day at most. For me I’m still f250 whenever it’s not a mustang lol so definitely not crazy tree hugging but also I see the future headed that way and will eventually be forced upon us. I’m just Leary of a first year of any of them. I picture the new “hummer” as being awesome but then I also see a steering servo going bad at 70mph on the interstate. Anyway long story short wife loves the Mach e hate the name and I still drive my trucks lol

#22 ·
As a student of automotive design, and a collector/aficionado of design ranging from the 1900's to present-day, I truly do my best to step out of my "comfort zone", and appreciate what designers and engineers are trying to create that is NEW, and not just re-worked already-done lazy and obvious stuff. Having been to plenty of seminars with head designers from major automakers speaking, they admire and draw from the past, but also hunger for pushing the envelope moving forward, and creating and re-inventing. The biggest change in design that we've yet to see, is the fact that with no internal combustion engine, and electric motors at all four wheels, traditional "hood, passenger compartment, trunk" packaging is no longer a necessity. The layout of the modern car may shift dramatically. It's yet to happen, they're still holding back.

Anyhow, I think I might own more old/antiquated/classic stuff than most. I'm definitely living in the past on a daily basis LOL. And it's beautiful.

But I also have a huge thirst and appreciation for designs that are moving forward. And always appreciate when they sprinkle in some nods to the past, without making it look hokey. I think the Mach E accomplishes that.

They are going to sell friggin' awesome. Current Mustang sales reflects the fact that the general public just isn't buying 2-door anything anymore. Period. We're beyond lucky that Ford has continued to keep the traditional Mustang around.

The Mach E is going to be a hot seller. That's my prediction. If Henry Ford had listened to "enthusiasts" when designing the Model T, the entire concept of the car would've been screwed... It's about selling cars first. And if you sell enough cars, and make enough money, then and only then can you dabble with the fun stuff.

#24 ·
The Mach E looks worse than the entire line up of new Buicks. How well are they selling? Maybe Buick should start calling their cars Mustangs, might be able to sell them then?

Hokey? I think the huge tablet glued to the center dash is the definition of hokey.

View attachment 207980
History will, and always has, proven you wrong...

Not a single one of your "forecasts" has ever come true on this forum. You're batting 0.000

And if you really think the Mach E resembles the latest Buicks, well then, that also explains the sentence above.. I suppose that they do share 4 wheels and 2 headlights.

#26 ·
Tesla Model 3s aren't exactly pretty and they're selling pretty well...and I think Ford will crush them with the Mach E. As more affordable EVs come out, I think Tesla is in trouble. VW is coming with their stuff, it's definitely going to be an interesting future.

Reactions: Goose17
#27 ·

#29 ·
Watched the video. Absolutely nothing impressed me about any of those features. The whole time watching I was thinking what the resale of this vehicle will be after 5 years and also how my 2 year old iPhone only lasts until noon before I need to plug it in but when it was new I could go all day without charging it. Imagine a car that gets 18mpg but after 5 years gets 6mpg. Seems like a great investment to me!

#39 ·
Complete other thread and topic...but to the Bronco...pressure has to be on Ford to stick the 5.0L in the Bronco now that the Wrangler has the 6.4L, no?

#40 ·
Again, I think it's all about pushing the boundaries and not catering to a traditionalist crowd that won't get over "OMG no V8!". For one, how many of those traditionalist are actual potential buyers (financially or applicable)? Secondly, say they are buyers... they may moan and complain, but they're such a minority, that they won't move the sales needle. Every single reservation spot was taken day one without a V8.

The 3.5 and 2.7 have proven themselves on multiple platforms, most notably the F150. Performance wise, the 5.0 is not going to provide anything better than the 3.5. The only thing you could point to is exhaust. The scenario I could see Ford dropping the 5.0 in it is because it's too cheap/easy to do so and it's a no-brainer. I feel like if that was the case though, they would have from the start to get a leg up on Fiat.

The weight to power ratio is hard to argue for a "smaller" framed vehicle such as the Bronco. Again, majority of people are not going to care that it's an EcoBoost as they drive to the mall. They'll buy it regardless.

#44 ·
Is that US sales or Global? I think I was looking at Global. Any way you slice it though... ;)

#47 ·
I know some people who hate vegetables... Just HATE them.. And they're certain they represent a significant portion of the dining public, because they can't imagine why anyone would ever want to eat a vegetable, and can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want steak morning noon and night. Horizon-expanding is never an option.

Reactions: Goose17
#48 ·
I don't care and far from offended by the name. They could call it a Maverick or Pinto for all I care. I was completely against electric cars not that many years ago. I have since hopped on the technology bandwagon, I guess. I'm not in line for one but I could be in the market for a full ev pickup when I get ready to replace my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. But anyway, I'm not put off by the Mustang Mach-E name.

#50 ·
Yep, when the first Teslas started to show up around town, and news of their drag strip "prowess" started creeping around the interweb, I wrinkled my nose and said "ehhh, not for me". But at the same time, I also didn't throw a tantrum and start calling them shit-boxes and stupid either. I could readily see that there was a tsunami on the horizon, and I started paying more attention to that tech, and noticing more and more people silently cruising around my town in their EV's.

I also thought that I'd never want a vehicle with a "virtual" dash cluster. Well, I've been driving one for the last year and a half now, and I actually love it. So much you can do with it. My wife's Audi is the same way, full techno-crazy video-screen touch-screen everything.

Tech is moving FAST...

A friend of my father's (who passed away earlier this year) let me drive his brand-new Tesla Model S.. It was the fastest/biggest-battery version you could option. Actually, he had 5 Teslas, spread between three locations LOL.. It was pretty surreal how hard that thing hit at full-tilt, and immediately I "got it". Still, I like my gas-chugger, but I get it.

And the irony of the thing is, the guy was an enormous classic car nut, a very heavy-hitting collector. At one time (before he began simplifying his life due to health issues) he had over 80 classics in his collection, mostly 50's and 60's convertibles, muscle cars and land-yachts, all meticulously restored and maintained.

Proof that even your most dyed in the wool old-school classic car enthusiast, was also super-fascinated with electric power and big honking touch screens containing endless amounts of features and tech. He easily dropped an oar in both ponds.

#51 ·
I think as a Ford fan its a big mistake to compare this thing to a Tesla. The Tesla drives itself. The Ford has a graphic that goes from yellow to red when you are too close to someone LOL. The Tesla doesn't look like a Buick and a Mazda had an ugly baby. If looking for a soulless machine, this Fakestang would be at the bottom of my list.

On an unrelated note - as most of this thread is haha, I own an electric forklift. I bought it for use in a small, not very well ventilated shop. After 7 years of owning it I can tell you the problems with electric vehicles. It has had to be maintained 10x more than any propane machines Ive ever known of. And expensive maintenance! Also parts are becoming obsolete due to technology advancement. Constant battery and charger issues, with the biggest problem being after 7 years the lift now has a maximum charge of 30% capacity from new. Ive lost 70% operating time capability over 7 years.

In the end I should have went with the propane unit. Its initial price would have been less expensive. The maintenance would have been thousands of dollars less expensive and best of all it would have the same runtime as new. Could you imagine after 7 years of ownership you're Mustang went from 15 to 3mpg! LOL. Some people are not going to imagine that reality, they are going to buy it!

#52 ·
I think as a Ford fan its a big mistake to compare this thing a Tesla. The Tesla drives itself. The Ford has a graphic that goes from yellow to red when you are too close to someone LOL.
Nothing you have ever said here has led me to the conclusion that you are a Ford fan.

One could argue that Tesla’s autopilot was released to the masses prematurely. Unnecessary deaths have occurred because of this. Ford is taking a more measured approach. From my understanding, the Mach-E is capable of autonomous driving, but it is not yet released. It will be available at a later date via over the air update.

#56 ·
Lots of reports on battery degradation in electric cars and other electric machines including Teslas. Also temperatures severely effect battery efficiency. Cold weather is no bueno for batteries of all types. If people want to ignore the facts of battery degradation its up to them, but like the poster above mentioned, a well informed public is the best case.

#57 ·
My father's aforementioned late friend kept two of his Teslas at a high-altitude estate in the mountains of Montana. Cold as hell. No worries. They've got it worked out.

#62 ·
That is one thing that really appeals to me about the electrics is the simplicity. And I actually like Tesla's model for replacement parts. Bad motor? Just swap it instead of trying to fix it. Then, send the old one to be refurbished and ready to swap in.

#63 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.