Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GT350
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got invited by my local dealer to do a "meet and greet" with some pre-production Mach-e's today. (Must be a good customer after buying 3 cars there this year. I didn't get to drive it, but I did get to look it over inside and out with a Ford rep there to answer questions. Thoughts below.
Note: unlike some others, I am not really bothered by the naming - it doesn't impact me at all and I understand the business reasons for it.

Looks - consistent with what you see in pictures - what you see is what you get. Pretty good looking for a crossover

Driving position - I wish the seat went a little lower (negative side of having the battery below), but it was extremely comfortable. Slightly wider than a regular mustang seat, less side bolstering, but VERY comfortable. "Gauge cluster" screen looks great in person and I am so glad it has one - this is my major complaint with Teslas. Infotainment screen is huge, but it is laid out well and very easy to use. radio and climate controls are in fixed positions and easy to access while driving. Physical volume knob helps break up the screen and provides a quick reference to on screen button locations. Glass panoramic roof (full front to back) is stunning and really opens up the car. My wife's mini has dual sunroofs, but this is way nicer.

Rear seat - headroom is an issue here. Getting in is very challenging due to a thick side structure in the roof (really need to bend your neck down). Once in, I had enough headroom, but barely. No one over 6 foot would be comfortable back here for long. Note: Still a MASSIVE improvement from the regular mustang rear seats.

Most everything else you get from online spec sheets or photos. Overall I think it is nice, but not really what I would want right now. However, the wife wants to go electric for her next vehicle (mainly used for commuting) and I think this could be a great fit. She is currently looking at the Mini electric because she wanted something small and quirky, but that only has ~117 miles of range vs. ~300 for the extended range Mach-e. We shall see - it is likely a few years away.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
Got invited by my local dealer to do a "meet and greet" with some pre-production Mach-e's today. (Must be a good customer after buying 3 cars there this year. I didn't get to drive it, but I did get to look it over inside and out with a Ford rep there to answer questions. Thoughts below.
Note: unlike some others, I am not really bothered by the naming - it doesn't impact me at all and I understand the business reasons for it.

Looks - consistent with what you see in pictures - what you see is what you get. Pretty good looking for a crossover

Driving position - I wish the seat went a little lower (negative side of having the battery below), but it was extremely comfortable. Slightly wider than a regular mustang seat, less side bolstering, but VERY comfortable. "Gauge cluster" screen looks great in person and I am so glad it has one - this is my major complaint with Teslas. Infotainment screen is huge, but it is laid out well and very easy to use. radio and climate controls are in fixed positions and easy to access while driving. Physical volume knob helps break up the screen and provides a quick reference to on screen button locations. Glass panoramic roof (full front to back) is stunning and really opens up the car. My wife's mini has dual sunroofs, but this is way nicer.

Rear seat - headroom is an issue here. Getting in is very challenging due to a thick side structure in the roof (really need to bend your neck down). Once in, I had enough headroom, but barely. No one over 6 foot would be comfortable back here for long. Note: Still a MASSIVE improvement from the regular mustang rear seats.

Most everything else you get from online spec sheets or photos. Overall I think it is nice, but not really what I would want right now. However, the wife wants to go electric for her next vehicle (mainly used for commuting) and I think this could be a great fit. She is currently looking at the Mini electric because she wanted something small and quirky, but that only has ~117 miles of range vs. ~300 for the extended range Mach-e. We shall see - it is likely a few years away.
Awesome opportunity Tom!

I feel the same... the pilfered Mustang name does not bother me in the least. This is a strong contender for my wife’s next vehicle.

I moved this to it’s own thread so it doesn’t get lost to time in the “what did you do today” thread.

·
Registered
2019 GT350
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome opportunity Tom!

I feel the same... the pilfered Mustang name does not bother me in the least. This is a strong contender for my wife’s next vehicle.

I moved this to it’s own thread so it doesn’t get lost to time in the “what did you do today” thread.
Thanks Tim!

I didn't get many photos at the event (they were recording a commercial at the same time), but I will post what I have later when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Awesome opportunity Tom!

But just wait until Ford slaps a 'Cobra' emblem on it, and maybe a few 'performance stickers'.....BWAHAHAHAHA
:alien:

·
Registered
2019 GT350
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But just wait until Ford slaps a 'Cobra' emblem on it, and maybe a few 'performance stickers'.....BWAHAHAHAHA
:alien:
If it can beat a GT350 or GT500 around Laguna Seca or VIR...I am OK with that. Lowered with a Shelby American tuned suspension would help with that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Might need to start a thread - Your Car is NOT a Mustang! lol

Dodge puts R/T decals on minivans and other junk, does not make it a Road and Track vehicle. It does make me laugh every time I see it. Im sure this Ford thing will give people the same reaction. Ford Jokestang.

·
Super Moderator
5,438 Posts
Good stuff, Tom! Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
519 Posts
Having one as a daily commute vehicle seems like a great idea. My commute is only 9 miles one way. I have zero problems having an electric vehicle for just that purpose. As long as I can still have my high horsepower, gas-guzzling toy for weekend duty. I do NOT want any politician dictating, by law, that we can no longer have our internal combustion engine vehicles. We don't need George Orwell telling us what we can and cannot do.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Very cool.

I know someone who received his build date update for December...one of the first.

He owns a 66GT350 (restored) and a (can't remember the year now) 67 289 Convertible. I guess if he's ok with the name....

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the report!!

I also don't have any problem with Ford's application of the Mustang name. It means that Mustang is no longer just "a car"... It is an attitude, a style, a spirit.

It's quite a tribute, that Ford would see so much brand-equity in the Mustang nameplate, that they would gamble the entire future of the company on it's power and resonance.

I think they'll do very well. Away from the forums, away from all us fuel-guzzling performance freaks, I hear and see so much buzz for the Mach-E. Mostly females who could give a rat's ass about owning an actual 2-door Mustang, but are EXTREMELY drawn to sharing in the "cool factor" of the styling/aura/mystique that the Mustang nameplate brings with it.

I see die-hard old-school Mustang fans ripping it to shreds... And pretty much the rest of the universe excited to see it coming.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I see die-hard old-school Mustang fans ripping it to shreds... And pretty much the rest of the universe excited to see it coming.
Which sums up why Ford did what they're doing. They didn't need to capture the old-school fan with this vehicle. They needed to capture current and potential Tesla (and other EV) owners. Two completely different markets, sharing a common name for one reason... Lineage, History, and Heritage. It's a sales tactic and the people who are going to buy it, don't care.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts

Reactions: ihaterice

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Yes, I'm going there yet again....It is what it is and that's fine, but it should not have been called a Mustang. I wish I could fire the idiots who gave it the Mustang name.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the report!!

I also don't have any problem with Ford's application of the Mustang name. It means that Mustang is no longer just "a car"... It is an attitude, a style, a spirit.

It's quite a tribute, that Ford would see so much brand-equity in the Mustang nameplate, that they would gamble the entire future of the company on it's power and resonance.

I think they'll do very well. Away from the forums, away from all us fuel-guzzling performance freaks, I hear and see so much buzz for the Mach-E. Mostly females who could give a rat's ass about owning an actual 2-door Mustang, but are EXTREMELY drawn to sharing in the "cool factor" of the styling/aura/mystique that the Mustang nameplate brings with it.

Sales figures will tell the tale (or tail...LOL)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
Yes, I'm going there yet again....It is what it is and that's fine, but it should not have been called a Mustang. I wish I could fire the idiots who gave it the Mustang name.
Me thinks these guys are not “idiots,” but rather smart marketing gurus. I bet these vehicles sell well.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 vmp gen3, 2020 gt500 magnetic, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
130 Posts
I’m sure we will be looking into this pretty soon. I’m not the bigges fan of the name just plain Mach E would have been fine with us. She drives one of those ecosports and pretty soon we’ll be passing that to our daughter and have been thinking about electric vehicles. For her she drives 50 miles a day at most. For me I’m still f250 whenever it’s not a mustang lol so definitely not crazy tree hugging but also I see the future headed that way and will eventually be forced upon us. I’m just Leary of a first year of any of them. I picture the new “hummer” as being awesome but then I also see a steering servo going bad at 70mph on the interstate. Anyway long story short wife loves the Mach e hate the name and I still drive my trucks lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
Watched the entire video. What a turd sandwich and disgrace to the name Mustang. I mean this thing has more in common with a Ford F150 than a Mustang. Plastering horses on a car doesn't make it a Mustang. Ford has lost their G-D mind.

Also take away the Mustang nonsense and you are left with one ugly vehicle with poor design and material usage. Fake leather, ugly dash with huge tablet in the middle (why?) bushwhackers...absolutely the worst vehicle from Ford Ive seen in my lifetime and there has been some real stinkers... this one wins by a country mile!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Watched the entire video. What a turd sandwich and disgrace to the name Mustang. I mean this thing has more in common with a Ford F150 than a Mustang. Plastering horses on a car doesn't make it a Mustang. Ford has lost their G-D mind.

Also take away the Mustang nonsense and you are left with one ugly vehicle with poor design and material usage. Fake leather, ugly dash with huge tablet in the middle (why?) bushwhackers...absolutely the worst vehicle from Ford Ive seen in my lifetime and there has been some real stinkers... this one wins by a country mile!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts

I have grown accustom to your crazy replies and simply give you a pass... much like when talking someone that has special needs... you are “special.”

It will all boil down to sales and me thinks this will be a winner for Ford. I think my wife would seriously dig this and I might enjoy stealing it now and then.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have grown accustom to your crazy replies and simply give you a pass... much like when talking someone that has special needs... you are “special.”

It will all boil down to sales and me thinks this will be a winner for Ford. I think my wife would seriously dig this and I might enjoy stealing it now and then.

Thanks for the personal attack. Speaks volumes about yourself and the moderation on this forum.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts