Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in seeing what you're use for cleaning and care of the interior (leather, dash, carpet, etc.). I've been using Meguair products for leather care and capet cleaning and am fairly well satisfied. Any other products you would recommend?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dri-Wash has a combo leather/vinyl cleaner/protectant. I think I'm going to order it, since all my cars have both leather and vinyl in the interior. If it's as good as their exterior product, it should be awesome.

http://www.driwashsolutions.com

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
This is the only area I found where leather care products were discussed.

Any updates on what is recommended?

I know you recommended something on the other site Bill - but I don't want to go there to search if possible.

:bandit:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a small swiffer duster for dust. I use ICE Interior for light cleaning and conditioning. For heavier use I use Kiwi Saddle Soap and Lexol conditioner.

For Glass I use Invisable Glass and do one wipe down with a microfiber cloth then finish or respray and finish with a cottonsack bar towel.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Meguires rich leather cleaner/conditioner.
That's what I have too... but I thought I heard about a better product.

Maybe it was the lexol that Tex uses.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
That's what I have too... but I thought I heard about a better product.

Maybe it was the lexol that Tex uses.
I am always looking for better stuff for the interior.

Lexol has been the long running best for the leather surfaces.

At the moment I am using a new product by 'Ice' for the other surfaces.

Side note, there is no such thing as pleather. That is sorta a joke.

The seating surfaces in our GT500's is leather.

The sides and backs of the seats is vinyl.

I believe the top of the center console and the pieces of armrest on the doors is leather.

The steering wheel and shift boot is leather.

On a GT Mustang and a SGT the rear seat is vinyl, although they tell you you have leather seating...it is only the front seats.

I am not sure if the door inserts on a GT500 are leather or not, I could tell if I saw the backing, but have not yet.

The thing to look for in choosing a conditioner for any surface is something that has a UV protectorant in it. AND DO NOT USE SUNSCREEN.

The worst thing for leather is hand creams and suntan lotion/oils. It breaks down the leather to a point it will crack prematurely.

The second worse thing is heat. Heat dries out leather, so in the summer you should treat it more often, and if you drive it daily ALWAYS leave a window cracked if parked outside in order to let the heat excape. A window sunscreen would be a big help also.

The heat issue applies in your house also if you have a fireplace. If you use your fireplace alot and have leather furniture you should treat the leather more often.

On the floor carpeting I keep the carpet as clean as possible and spray every few months with Scotchguard Protectorant.

Windows are a diffent story, I have tried many products and even the damp newspaper trick that detail shops do, but I'm not please w/ any of them. I am always left w/ a streak here or there.

At the moment I use windex and come behind it with a terry cloth towel to buff any spots.

If you have your windows tinted, you can NOT use any cleaner the has ammonia in it, it will destroy the finish. Windex does make a cleaner for such windows and so do other manufacturers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You know. I forgot to mention it, but I've switched to Adam's exterior detailer and some of their other exterior products like the wheel well black out.
In my opinion those are superior products. And with that in mind, as my supply of interior products runs out I'm going to purchase some of their interior products and try them.

I'm all about helping support the vendors that help keep OUR site going. And Adam's Polish is one vendor that I have been very pleased with their products and service. Check em' out in the Vendors Forum!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I am always looking for better stuff for the interior.

Lexol has been the long running best for the leather surfaces.

At the moment I am using a new product by 'Ice' for the other surfaces.

Side note, there is no such thing as pleather. That is sorta a joke.

The seating surfaces in our GT500's is leather.

The sides and backs of the seats is vinyl.

I believe the top of the center console and the pieces of armrest on the doors is leather.

The steering wheel and shift boot is leather.

On a GT Mustang and a SGT the rear seat is vinyl, although they tell you you have leather seating...it is only the front seats.

I am not sure if the door inserts on a GT500 are leather or not, I could tell if I saw the backing, but have not yet.

The thing to look for in choosing a conditioner for any surface is something that has a UV protectorant in it. AND DO NOT USE SUNSCREEN.

The worst thing for leather is hand creams and suntan lotion/oils. It breaks down the leather to a point it will crack prematurely.

The second worse thing is heat. Heat dries out leather, so in the summer you should treat it more often, and if you drive it daily ALWAYS leave a window cracked if parked outside in order to let the heat excape. A window sunscreen would be a big help also.

The heat issue applies in your house also if you have a fireplace. If you use your fireplace alot and have leather furniture you should treat the leather more often.

On the floor carpeting I keep the carpet as clean as possible and spray every few months with Scotchguard Protectorant.

Windows are a diffent story, I have tried many products and even the damp newspaper trick that detail shops do, but I'm not please w/ any of them. I am always left w/ a streak here or there.

At the moment I use windex and come behind it with a terry cloth towel to buff any spots.

If you have your windows tinted, you can NOT use any cleaner the has ammonia in it, it will destroy the finish. Windex does make a cleaner for such windows and so do other manufacturers.
Thanks Bill.

I value your opinions. :banana_hitit:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts