Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurer notified me a few days ago, Nationwide, that the GT500 will be dropped from my policy at the end of the policy period, April 28th, due to suspension mods. A) They have no way of knowing I modded the suspension and B) the mods I did IMPROVE the car's stability on the road.

Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

PS For all those that knew I was going to have to sell my GT500, i'm not going to to have to. :) Bring on the Spring. I now live in Long Island NY, and am very gainfully employed as of 3 weeks ago!!! Yahoo!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
There's got to be some kind of glitch. I've never even heard of insurance companies cancelling someone for any kinds of mods. If it is true, frig em. There's plenty of companies out there that want your business.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Congrats on the job and keeping your car. Never in all my years have i heard of such a thing. Yep, plenty of other carriers out there. If it were me, i'd make them prove with their source data that the car was modded, just for argument sake. Question is, who did your suspension mod?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My insurer notified me a few days ago, Nationwide, that the GT500 will be dropped from my policy at the end of the policy period, April 28th, due to suspension mods. A) They have no way of knowing I modded the suspension and B) the mods I did IMPROVE the car's stability on the road.

Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

PS For all those that knew I was going to have to sell my GT500, i'm not going to to have to. :) Bring on the Spring. I now live in Long Island NY, and am very gainfully employed as of 3 weeks ago!!! Yahoo!!!!
Hey doneal, where on Long Island? I use State Farm for all my insurance needs and would be glad to refer my insurance broker. Send me a PM, we may be neighbors. Congrats on the new employment.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congrats on the Paycheck Dennis.
I would be really interested in where they got their info about your mod. I think I would be perusing that as you terminate their service before the terminate you.
joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you guys dont use your cars as a "daily driver", you should look into Grundy.
I'm paying $740.00 a year, with an assumed value of $52,000.00. No problems whatsoever with them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
+1 on the Grundy (that's if you don't drive it that much).. I pay $795 yr assumed value of $65K if I'm not mistaken.. Congrats on the job glad to hear you get to keep her but even more glad you found a job...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey doneal, where on Long Island? I use State Farm for all my insurance needs and would be glad to refer my insurance broker. Send me a PM, we may be neighbors. Congrats on the new employment.
Yeah, I was shocked when I saw the letter. There's no way they knew I modded the suspension. I bought the parts myself, and had them installed by a trusted mechanic at Excessive Motorsports in VA. So I really don't get it, I am going to call them on it, and find out what's going on.

I live in Glen Cove, and work in Garden City; and where I work there's a Tungsten with Silver stripes GT500. The address is off of Franklin, is that you?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 on the Grundy (that's if you don't drive it that much).. I pay $795 yr assumed value of $65K if I'm not mistaken.. Congrats on the job glad to hear you get to keep her but even more glad you found a job...
Thanks Lee. I am very happy to be useful again. Grundy is a great idea, I should have thought of that, I used them once for a collector Triumph I owned about 10 years ago. I'll be giving them a call, and some other carriers too. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you guys dont use your cars as a "daily driver", you should look into Grundy.
I'm paying $740.00 a year, with an assumed value of $52,000.00. No problems whatsoever with them.
Hey Rags. Thanks for the Grundy pointer, I'm going to give them a shot I think. I put on about 7K miles per year, at least that's what I did this first year. Where do live in LI, i just moved here to Glen Cove. Shlbysvt lives out here somewhere too. Maybe we should do a little breakfast meet or something when the weather warms up a bit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the job and keeping your car. Never in all my years have i heard of such a thing. Yep, plenty of other carriers out there. If it were me, i'd make them prove with their source data that the car was modded, just for argument sake. Question is, who did your suspension mod?
Thanks, I'm really glad to be able to keep her, and continue with the mods I had planned for this Spring, which it looks like I'll be able to do. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Unreal, I'll check with my Nationwide agent tonight (my wife). We have the GT500SCJ,SCT/TC and a CSX insured with Nationwide, no questions asked, plenty of mods. How far are you from Freeport?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yeah, I was shocked when I saw the letter. There's no way they knew I modded the suspension. I bought the parts myself, and had them installed by a trusted mechanic at Excessive Motorsports in VA. So I really don't get it, I am going to call them on it, and find out what's going on.

I live in Glen Cove, and work in Garden City; and where I work there's a Tungsten with Silver stripes GT500. The address is off of Franklin, is that you?
No. I'm in Suffolk County, Fort Salonga to be exact. You are about thirty minutes from me and when the weather improves, and I get a chance to get my tranny back in, we should get together. The Island is a great place to live and if you are a fisherman there's nothing like Montauk. The Island has alot to offer and I would be glad to help in any way I can. If shooting is your thing, I belong to a great club and always like a partner when it comes to sporting clays.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doneal, I live in Manorville. Mileage does not matter with Grundy. You cant use the car for commuting to work, or running erands, but you can joy ride all you like. Its a graet deal.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hey Rags, I am midway between you and doneal. We should definitely get together when the weather improves. GT500-07 seems like he is in Freeport, which is not far from doneal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds good to me, I'm usually at Captree on Sunday mornings when the weather warms up. Might be a good meet spot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good to me, I'm usually at Captree on Sunday mornings when the weather warms up. Might be a good meet spot.
I'm in Glen Cove, and will have to look up Captree. A meet for breakfast and a cruise around LI would be nice. At the moment, it's hard to think about with all this white stuff falling outside. :( I'm REALLY tired of winter.

I'll be calling Grundy tomorrow, and probably dropping Nationwide all together, a shame since I've been with them for over 5 years now. It seems like insurance companies play a little odds game, after about 5-6 years with no claims they are so far ahead of the game they start screwing around. I've had State Farm do it too. Just a thought about how they might be playing the odds to keep their money. I have no accidents, that were my fault(a guy in a truck side-swiped me a couple of years ago on the freeway, and I was rear-ended at a light in CO 7 years ago), and a very good driving record; so I don't get why they would drop my Shelby for no good reason.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. I'm in Suffolk County, Fort Salonga to be exact. You are about thirty minutes from me and when the weather improves, and I get a chance to get my tranny back in, we should get together. The Island is a great place to live and if you are a fisherman there's nothing like Montauk. The Island has alot to offer and I would be glad to help in any way I can. If shooting is your thing, I belong to a great club and always like a partner when it comes to sporting clays.

I was mistaken about the car at my work too, it's a tungsten with black stripes, I'm going to try and figure out who owns it; a simple note on the windshield should do it, ;)

It'd be great to get together when the weather improves. When I was a kid growing up in CT, we used to sail over to LI on the family boat for weekend trips to Oyster Bay, Port Jeff, and Huntington. Until a month ago, that was the only way I had been to LI, and that was over 35 years ago, correction I was out here once for a short biz trip to Computer Associates for two days back in the early nineties, and it just happen to have been when that nut-bag shot up the LIRR commuter train. I have a lot of exploring to do on LI. There's another guy who lives in NYC too, cannot remember his name but I think he has a black GT500 convertible. Should ask him along too.

I used to do some ocean fishing, trolling mostly(when we were sailing), and do shoot clays once in a while.

Take care,

-=-Dennis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts