Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I am putting in a 2010 GT500 motor in a 1964 Galaxie I have the motor need to do the cooling system where is the best place to buy the parts I am looking to make it look nice but have to start Somewhere I only have the engine ,and blower
but need hoses ,all the radiators ,heat exchangers,looking for imformation thanks D407EF92-9F3C-46BB-A18B-C71907B27884.jpeg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,317 Posts
Help I am putting in a 2010 GT500 motor in a 1964 Galaxie I have the motor need to do the cooling system where is the best place to buy the parts I am looking to make it look nice but have to start Somewhere I only have the engine ,and blower View attachment 209915 but need hoses ,all the radiators ,heat exchangers,looking for imformation thanks View attachment 209915
Welcome to the forum! That looks like a badass project! 🤟

If you are looking for OEM parts, you can get them from this Mustang salvage yard:

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,833 Posts
Well, aren't you the ambitious one. Here is a schematic of the 2007 GT500, but it remains essentially unchanged through 2012 with the exception of changes to the heat exchanger.

I think you'll need to source most of the hoses from either a wrecked GT500 or purchase new. Theses hoses are all expensive and you may be better off routing the intercooler plumbing with heater hose and pre-formed hoses with couplers. I don't see the thermostat housing mounted to the engine, so you'll need one of those too. Be prepared to grab your ankles if you need to buy new.

I see in your engine pic, that there is no oil cooler on the engine, so you may have to figure out what you need to do with the hoses for that octopus looking hose unit in the lower middle section of the schematic. It snakes back to the rear of the engine for the heater routing. Without the oil cooler adapter you will need to get some sort of adapter for your oil filter. BPS has one and there are probably others out there.

I think you should look for a radiator that fits the Galaxie radiator support in terms of size for the opening and has the inlet and outlet in the right places. I'd get one that has a shroud and a good sized electric fan. Knowing what I know about the GT500, I think the stock radiator will be too wide for the opening in the radiator support. However, your radiator support would probably allow for a taller radiator. You'll probably have to get a universal heat exchanger that you can get to fit in the space in front of the radiator. I would try to find the largest one you can install in that space. Frozen Boost has some universal intercoolers that might work for you. You'll probably have to fabricate your own brackets for whatever you do. You will need reservoirs for both the cooling and intercooler systems. It's going to be important for the fill caps to be higher than all parts of the cooling system. The OEM units might work for you, but you'll have to figure out some sort of mounting system for them. The mounting locations are integrated into fan shroud in the OEM fan unit.

There are a lot of options when it comes to intercooler pumps. Just do research on pumps in general because some do a better job of moving coolant than others when restrictions are present. Things like jacuzzi pumps may have a high unrestricted flow rate, but when restrictions are present, they can barely move coolant. That's true of most pumps, but some aren't even worth fooling with. The 13-14 used a larger pump, but it was mounted on the engine. You can pretty much mount it where you want, but make sure the pump manufacturer doesn't have specific mounting instructions. I say that because some of the more substantial pumps need to be mounted within a specified orientation and angle. I would also make sure it's mounted lower than the reservoir.

Good luck with the project. I'd love to see pics of the finished product. @Buttinz has retrofit a 5.4 in a kit Cobra and he may have some helpful insights for you.

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
863 Posts
Do you have the ford engine control pack? As far as rad hoses I used SS flex hose that was perfect for tight engine bay to avoid kinks. Heat exchanger I went with The Edelbrock intercooler mainly because the size of it and with minor modifications. I have pump mounted lower than reservoir to the side of radiator. I’ll take pics tomorrow and post. I have a lot pics/info in my build thread here that may help aswell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum! That looks like a badass project! 🤟

If you are looking for OEM parts, you can get them from this Mustang salvage yard:

Thank you you guys have all ready been helpful if I put anything in the wrong place or do something wrong please let me know I don’t want to piss off anyone thanks agin for the help Dave I live in upstate NY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the ford engine control pack? As far as rad hoses I used SS flex hose that was perfect for tight engine bay to avoid kinks. Heat exchanger I went with The Edelbrock intercooler mainly because the size of it and with minor modifications. I have pump mounted lower than reservoir to the side of radiator. I’ll take pics tomorrow and post. I have a lot pics/info in my build thread here that may help aswell.
Thanks I am going with Holley I need lots of help have a friend doing a great job on the car he does amazing work
Well, aren't you the ambitious one. Here is a schematic of the 2007 GT500, but it remains essentially unchanged through 2012 with the exception of changes to the heat exchanger.

View attachment 209922

I think you'll need to source most of the hoses from either a wrecked GT500 or purchase new. Theses hoses are all expensive and you may be better off routing the intercooler plumbing with heater hose and pre-formed hoses with couplers. I don't see the thermostat housing mounted to the engine, so you'll need one of those too. Be prepared to grab your ankles if you need to buy new.

I see in your engine pic, that there is no oil cooler on the engine, so you may have to figure out what you need to do with the hoses for that octopus looking hose unit in the lower middle section of the schematic. It snakes back to the rear of the engine for the heater routing. Without the oil cooler adapter you will need to get some sort of adapter for your oil filter. BPS has one and there are probably others out there.

I think you should look for a radiator that fits the Galaxie radiator support in terms of size for the opening and has the inlet and outlet in the right places. I'd get one that has a shroud and a good sized electric fan. Knowing what I know about the GT500, I think the stock radiator will be too wide for the opening in the radiator support. However, your radiator support would probably allow for a taller radiator. You'll probably have to get a universal heat exchanger that you can get to fit in the space in front of the radiator. I would try to find the largest one you can install in that space. Frozen Boost has some universal intercoolers that might work for you. You'll probably have to fabricate your own brackets for whatever you do. You will need reservoirs for both the cooling and intercooler systems. It's going to be important for the fill caps to be higher than all parts of the cooling system. The OEM units might work for you, but you'll have to figure out some sort of mounting system for them. The mounting locations are integrated into fan shroud in the OEM fan unit.

There are a lot of options when it comes to intercooler pumps. Just do research on pumps in general because some do a better job of moving coolant than others when restrictions are present. Things like jacuzzi pumps may have a high unrestricted flow rate, but when restrictions are present, they can barely move coolant. That's true of most pumps, but some aren't even worth fooling with. The 13-14 used a larger pump, but it was mounted on the engine. You can pretty much mount it where you want, but make sure the pump manufacturer doesn't have specific mounting instructions. I say that because some of the more substantial pumps need to be mounted within a specified orientation and angle. I would also make sure it's mounted lower than the reservoir.

Good luck with the project. I'd love to see pics of the finished product. @Buttinz has retrofit a 5.4 in a kit Cobra and he may have some helpful insights for you.
Thank you I will have lot of questions I am sure Dave

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,317 Posts
Thank you you guys have all ready been helpful if I put anything in the wrong place or do something wrong please let me know I don’t want to piss off anyone thanks agin for the help Dave I live in upstate NY
We encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. You can do that by clicking your upper right avatar/account settings/signature.

We’d love to follow your build here! We have many knowledge members that can offer advice/help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

View attachment 209922

Is there any ford dealers that Are any cheaper where is the best place to buy these parts thanks

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,317 Posts
Is there any ford dealers that Are any cheaper where is the best place to buy these parts thanks
The cheapest place I’ve found and buy my parts from is AutoNation Ford in White Bear Lake MN. They do cost +10%. It’s usually cheaper for me to order from there and pay the shipping to TX.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,833 Posts
There are several Ford dealers that sell on line under similar programs that Goose posted. Tasca Ford (tascaparts.com) is another. Ford Parts Giant is another site that comes up frequently in searches. Since these on-line dealers usually involves shipping, your local dealer could still be cheaper depending on the part. Also use ebay with the ford part number. I've seen used items listed before and there are silicone hose listings for some components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts