Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 Track Pack - Sterling Grey
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I installed a MGW short throw shifter. First time installing a short throw shifter myself and the process was pretty simple. The hardest part is just getting access to some of the bolts since you are working in a tight space (Thank goodness for ratcheting wrenches, lol), and also unscrewing the stock shift ball without damaging it since it is loctited to the stock shifter stalk. Other than that with using the MGW install video for reference everything went smoothly. Ended up going with the gripper style ball with the "Punisher" style skull. Have not had a chance to take the car out for some spirited driving with it yet due to the weather but so far it feels a lot tighter and more precise than the stock shifter. Obviously the quality of the MGW puts the stock shifter to shame.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Car Hood Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design
Gas Audio equipment Cable Machine Auto part
Car Gear shift Steering part White Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal computer Peripheral Laptop

·
Registered
"Sally" 2014 GT500
59 Posts
I did the same thing to "Sally" (2014 GT500) five years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. You'll love it. Back then, MGW was offering free install at their facility in Augusta so Marlyss and I took f few days off and drove from Michigan to Georgia and came back via Tail of the Dragon with the new shifter. I use it so much I wore out the 2nd gear synchro and rpobably a few teeth on the second gear set. I'm having Dan Walsh, Jr. (D & D Performance, just down the street from me) do the work. He's a Tremec Elite dealer and I've known his Dad ("Racer Walsh", Don, Sr.) since my days at Ford. It'll be $2300 just 'cuz I love to stir the grears. Sally's a daily driver during the good weather, with 58K on the clock. Time flies when you're having fun!

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
467 Posts
Congrats on completing the install. I've had one in a box for a few months and was going to install it last week until I watched the video. I decided to wait for a whole day free. Did you get it done in 5 hours or did it take longer?

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts
Congrats on completing the install. I've had one in a box for a few months and was going to install it last week until I watched the video. I decided to wait for a whole day free. Did you get it done in 5 hours or did it take longer?
Same here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It took me saturday and sunday, but maybe 6-7 hours total, as my package was delayed. It was originally supposed to arrive Friday, got delayed to Saturday, then got delayed again and it didnt actually show up until Sunday. I spent Saturday removing the stock shifter and then spent Sunday installing the new MGW shifter after it arrived. If you watch the video, there are a few changes they made to the design of the shifter that change the installation slightly. One is on the 2 chrome metal pieces sticking out of the back of the shifter. Those are no longer pre-installed in the shifter, as it is easier to lower the shifter through the hole and then install the 2 metal pieces from underneath the car. The second was on how the shift ball attaches to the stalk. In the video there is a shaft that goes on before the ball and then you tighten the shaft up against the ball using a provided wrench. They did away with this and the shaft and ball are one piece and screw on to the shift stalk. It also has a set screw that you tighten down. Other than that the video was pretty on point.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,177 Posts
Over the weekend I installed a MGW short throw shifter. First time installing a short throw shifter myself and the process was pretty simple. The hardest part is just getting access to some of the bolts since you are working in a tight space (Thank goodness for ratcheting wrenches, lol), and also unscrewing the stock shift ball without damaging it since it is loctited to the stock shifter stalk. Other than that with using the MGW install video for reference everything went smoothly. Ended up going with the gripper style ball with the "Punisher" style skull. Have not had a chance to take the car out for some spirited driving with it yet due to the weather but so far it feels a lot tighter and more precise than the stock shifter. Obviously the quality of the MGW puts the stock shifter to shame.

View attachment 223097 View attachment 223098 View attachment 223099 View attachment 223100 View attachment 223101 View attachment 223102
Nice mod! Thanks for sharing! 🍻
I did the same thing to "Sally" (2014 GT500) five years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. You'll love it. Back then, MGW was offering free install at their facility in Augusta so Marlyss and I took f few days off and drove from Michigan to Georgia and came back via Tail of the Dragon with the new shifter. I use it so much I wore out the 2nd gear synchro and rpobably a few teeth on the second gear set. I'm having Dan Walsh, Jr. (D & D Performance, just down the street from me) do the work. He's a Tremec Elite dealer and I've known his Dad ("Racer Walsh", Don, Sr.) since my days at Ford. It'll be $2300 just 'cuz I love to stir the grears. Sally's a daily driver during the good weather, with 58K on the clock. Time flies when you're having fun!
Scott, please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

Reactions: Fuelforfire87

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
467 Posts
Thanks. It took me saturday and sunday, but maybe 6-7 hours total, as my package was delayed. It was originally supposed to arrive Friday, got delayed to Saturday, then got delayed again and it didnt actually show up until Sunday. I spent Saturday removing the stock shifter and then spent Sunday installing the new MGW shifter after it arrived. If you watch the video, there are a few changes they made to the design of the shifter that change the installation slightly. One is on the 2 chrome metal pieces sticking out of the back of the shifter. Those are no longer pre-installed in the shifter, as it is easier to lower the shifter through the hole and then install the 2 metal pieces from underneath the car. The second was on how the shift ball attaches to the stalk. In the video there is a shaft that goes on before the ball and then you tighten the shaft up against the ball using a provided wrench. They did away with this and the shaft and ball are one piece and screw on to the shift stalk. It also has a set screw that you tighten down. Other than that the video was pretty on point.
Thanks for the info. I was wishing I had it installed this weekend since I used 2nd and 3rd gear a lot.

·
Registered
"Sally" 2014 GT500
59 Posts

Scott, please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.
I already had the info in the account, but I clicked on the picture which opened up a bit further with an editor and I added the same info there too....so if the avatar picture displays hopefully the vehicle info will show up underneath it.

·
Registered
"Sally" 2014 GT500
59 Posts

I found where you were indicating and I added "sally" to it. Let's see if that makes it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,177 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 GT500
33 Posts
Thanks for posting some motivation. I have one in a box for the last four months waiting for a full weekend to get the car up in the air. Kids sports have been eating up the hours.

What size ratchet wrenches did you use? I have zero of them and need to pick up a couple for the job.

Thanks,
J.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
g some motivation. I have one in a box for the last four months waiting for a full weekend to get the car up in the air. Kids sports have been eating up the hours.

What size ratchet wrenches did you use? I have zero of them and need to pick up a couple for the job.
All the tools required are listed in the video:

But personally I used a 10mm and 13mm ratcheting wrench. Video calls for a 1/2" ratcheting wrench but a 13mm also works. Also having that strap wrench is necessary to get the stock shift ball off without damaging it. I was able to pick one up from harbor freight for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
14 Gt500 PP/T 2.4 pulley,3.73ears, mgw shifter, morimoto heads/tails/fogs. Borla atak, bbk 65tb
65 Posts

View attachment 223097 View attachment 223098 View attachment 223099 View attachment 223100 View attachment 223101 View attachment 223102
I installed my mgw shifter as well and it fought me every step of the way. Like you I got the skull and cross bones shift knob. I first started out with the longer shifter but quickly went to the shorter one. And maaaaaan what a great difference!!! You'll see. I haven't missed a shift yet and it makes you laugh at the stock floppy shifter. Enjoy my man I do. Mines My daily and I with the 373 gears I don't even take my hand off the shifter anymore. It's so beefcake. Post what you think when you get a good feel of it. Sometimes you may forget your in neutral because it's so stiff but once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed my mgw shifter as well and it fought me every step of the way. Like you I got the skull and cross bones shift knob. I first started out with the longer shifter but quickly went to the shorter one. And maaaaaan what a great difference!!! You'll see. I haven't missed a shift yet and it makes you laugh at the stock floppy shifter. Enjoy my man I do. Mines My daily and I with the 373 gears I don't even take my hand off the shifter anymore. It's so beefcake. Post what you think when you get a good feel of it. Sometimes you may forget your in neutral because it's so stiff but once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.
Had to run out to the grocery store today so took the car for a short test drive. Yea it is definitely tighter than the stock shifter. Reminds me of the MGW I had in my '16 GT, maybe slightly less notchy feeling, but in a good way. Shifts feel much more precise and crisp. Was only tested at part throttle but I definitely feel more confident shifting and like I'm back at home in my previous car.

·
Registered
14 Gt500 PP/T 2.4 pulley,3.73ears, mgw shifter, morimoto heads/tails/fogs. Borla atak, bbk 65tb
65 Posts
Had to run out to the grocery store today so took the car for a short test drive. Yea it is definitely tighter than the stock shifter. Reminds me of the MGW I had in my '16 GT, maybe slightly less notchy feeling, but in a good way. Shifts feel much more precise and crisp. Was only tested at part throttle but I definitely feel more confident shifting and like I'm back at home in my previous car.
Sweet, my previous 14 gt had a Barton short throw in it and it was nice but even still got locked out of 2nd but this mgw gen 2 is a master piece. I wish they had a foot long shifter so I can pretend I'm doin a group B pikes peak run when I go for a cig run at wawa. More confident oh hell yeah. Now if it hasn't happened yet it will but if you don't fully seat 3rd gear it will spit the shifter back out to neutral and scare the hell out you. Got my hand popped once and now I know not to be timid whe. Shifting this bad boy. And the build quality Awesome. Once you go mgw you never go back.

·
Premium Member
2011 GT500
33 Posts
Thank you for the reply on the wrench sizes. I haven't watched the video in a couple months. I'm sure I will get familiar with it again during install.

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
404 Posts
Dang I watched that entire 45 minute video even though I have no intentions of installing this thing!

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Excellent!!! Glad you got 'er done and am enjoying the new found crispness. (y)

·
Registered
2012 PP 750 on e85
32 Posts
I just recently did 2 actually!!
the 1st one took me about 3 hrs and the second one just over 2hrs. I found out that it helps to drop the transmission crossmember. That gives you way more room to move the shifter in and set it into place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts