Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the new FRPP CAI, part number M-9603-SVT07. It took about an hour to install, including the time waiting for the tune to upload. The overall fit and finish is great. I really like the fact that the heat shield is made of plastic and not metal, less tendency to rattle and less heat. After the install I went for a test drive, what a difference. You really don't notice that anything has changed, until you plant your foot to the floor, then that is when you know it has a little more under the hood. I noticed that I have around a half a pound more of boost (just by looking at my boost gauge) than before, and the torque is more noticeable, it really pushes me back in the seat even more. I am sure that GT500 owners who have installed other CAI systems would say theirs is just as good or better, but I am happy with what I have, and it is CARB exempt :D. I would recomend getting this CAI if you don't plan on changing your pulley. I attached a few picture of what it looks like installed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
hmm
the thing i like most looking at it is the heat sheild.
i'm wondering how that'd work with mine, and the new hood with the ram air...

hmmmmm

·
Registered
861 Posts
yes that heat shield looks really nice.

And I am sure the power is awesome! I changed the pulley at the same time that I did the tune and CAI. If you decide to change the pulley too, you will see What I am talking about. Then I put on a Bassini 3" no Cats w/ race mufflers......and picked up 27 more hp. lol I know you can't go with no cats because of the cali emissions........I used to live in Irvine, I hated the emission BS.

Congrats on the new toys

JJ

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
It looks like a clean install. I would like that heat shield also, not sure if it would work for the JLT but I am sure it could be made to fit. If anyone finds a part number for the shield post it up. The JLT along with a tune from EVO or Justin is probally more aggressive than what Ford Tunes are but their heat shield looks the best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks real cool

So what HP and torque gains with CAI, pully and tune from Ford Racing? Is the tune from Ford as well?

What is the $?

Also, what is the official position in terms of warranty?

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Looks to me as though it would be restrictive as to air flow. The heat shield seems to close off possible air intake. If it relys on the fender hole, I remember Justin, from VMP saying that it goes nowhere. Would work with the glass hood that some folks are opting for.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Looks to me as though it would be restrictive as to air flow. The heat shield seems to close off possible air intake. If it relys on the fender hole, I remember Justin, from VMP saying that it goes nowhere. Would work with the glass hood that some folks are opting for.
My thought exactly. It's cool that the heat shield fully partitions the filter from the engine bay, but where does it get its air? :confused:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My thought exactly. It's cool that the heat shield fully partitions the filter from the engine bay, but where does it get its air? :confused:
That is a question to be asked of Ford Racing. Not too much thought put into this one if you ask me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
from the ram air hood =D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Elite 1,

My opinion is that it looks great and you did well with going for this upgrade from Ford.

I can't speak for the other fellas, but I'm glad that at least 'you' are happy with it.

You car looks great by the way!

Arbour88 (John)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By looking at this picture there is a fair amount of space between the headlight and the hood around 1/4 inch or so, at speed that is a lot of air funneling into a closed area, plus there is an opening at the bottom of the car just behind the front valance, if you look up from there you can see the CAI, so my guess is that the CAI gets its air from the bottom and from the front of the car. All I know is that whatever was in that tune made a big difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Elite:

I think it looks great. Nice job on the install...it looks very professionally done.

I don't have a GT500 ..yet....but isn't the regular factory airbox totally enclosed? Wouldn't this CAI draw the air from the same spot down below...or is the heat shield covering over that area?

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have a question on this system. Does the tune come for free?? $800 is a bit steep for just the coldair and noticed that once you bought the system, you had to contact support so the could send you the tune?? Is this correct??

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have a question on this system. Does the tune come for free?? $800 is a bit steep for just the coldair and noticed that once you bought the system, you had to contact support so the could send you the tune?? Is this correct??

Thanks
The tune is free, you have to register the CAI with Ford Racing and then get all the info such as PCM serial number (click on the link for more info on how to get the serial number the easy way http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237), tire diameter, gear ratio, etc. After you register the CAI it will take about 3 to 4 days for the ProCal tool to arrive, just follow the instructions carefully and you are on your way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Does the pro cal tuner include a way to return to stock in case warranty work is needed?:confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the pro cal tuner include a way to return to stock in case warranty work is needed?:confused:
Yes, you can switch it back to stock. You do not have to switch back to stock just because you are bringing it in for warranty work. I brought mine in for some warranty work and the dealership didn't say a word. Unless the part is not emissions legal you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd be careful about that warranty stuff. SVT told me that if Ford installed it your powertrain warranty goes to 12 months and 12,000 miles. If you install it they can say the increased horsepower caused your powertrain failure and void your warranty. I called a service manager here in Tulsa and He confirmed it. I would change it back to stock if you ever have any powertrain issues. Now they did say that a cat-back exhaust will not void your warranty since they don't believe it is enough of a powerchange. Anything forward of the cats (i.e. headers etc) can void it if your service manager decides too. I too bought this intake and thought Ford part and Ford tune that I'd be allright, was very surprised when I found out!:eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts