Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I'm just happy that finally, for once, it wasn't me posting the painfully long and wordy posts!! I appreciate the short vacation! LOL..

At the end of the day, I'm just champing at the bit for Ford to launch the "Build and Price" for this car... I love playing on those damned things... A couple weeks ago I spend an afternoon speccing-out a new Carrera S.. The more I played, the more expensive it got. :( ;)

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
1,067 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,280 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,367 Posts
I've been wondering why Ford is making this the next gen Mustang, when it's mostly just a refreshing of the 6th gen, kinda like going from the '66 to the '67. Now, going from the '68 to the '69, and especially to the '70, those are completely different creatures and much more like a new gen than what Ford just did.

·
Registered
2022 Heritage Base
152 Posts
I agree with the posters talking about buyers remorse. The GT 500 looks so awesome now and looks better than any 2024 version.
I'm 2 for 2 on these model change outs as we bought the very last (I was told by someone in the know) 2020 BMW 440 convertible before the current buck toothed version came out (no offense to any of you who are dentally challenged), so no buyers remorse there for sure. Although in every imperical measure the new buck toothed BMW 4 series is superior to ours, hey the new ones are flugly in the face so sorry.
The 2024 mustang to me has too much going on in the wrong places. Looks like a new edge mustang got together with a 2015......just saying.

·
Registered
2020 Velocity Blue GT500
101 Posts
Like the front and sides on all 3 trim levels. Not a big fan of the rear. Love the new steering wheel. Never been a big fan of the iPad stuck on the dashboard look. Overall we should be thrilled that Ford is still building V8 engines.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,367 Posts
The ex was at the Detroit Auto Show yesterday and sent me pics of the Camaro and the Mustang, and said the Mustang looks like a Camaro. Granted, she's biased cuz she's a Camaro person, but even non-Mustang people are saying it.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I've resigned myself to the apparent reality that there's a ton of folks that look at cars way more casually and abstractly than I do...

The S650 is so similar in profile and design-language to the S550, that I'm still scratching my head as to why this looks-like-Camaro-thing hasn't been "a thing" since 2015.

And I also wonder how most people tell the difference between a Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickup truck. They're far-more-similar to each other than the new Mustang is to a Camaro.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The only place/angle where I pick up some modern Camaro vibe is when there's a high-angle photo looking down at the car, revealing a sharp crease and "shelf" on top of the rear quarter. There's some similarity there. But here's a history lesson. FORD did that first. And Chevy cribbed it. The 69-70 sportsroof is the inspiration for that angle and that styling. So, when people say "looks like a Camaro", if they're referring to that general area, it's making my eye twitch LOL..
Just saw this on Facebook and thought of this post...

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Reactions: simba47

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think recency bias is a factor too in the perception of the new Camarostang. Many more people know and remember the current gen Camaro and its Mustang counterpart than can remember, recognize, or are even aware of the muscle car similarities of more than 10 or 20 or 40 years past. Forum members are far more well versed in that area than virtually the entire public or even automotive journalists.

I see similar comparison comments in video games as well…young folks today lament racing game physics but have no idea so many mechanics came from Pole Position and Outrun and such.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I think recency bias is a factor too in the perception of the new Camarostang. Many more people know and remember the current gen Camaro and its Mustang counterpart than can remember, recognize, or are even aware of the muscle car similarities of more than 10 or 20 or 40 years past. Forum members are far more well versed in that area than virtually the entire public or even automotive journalists.

I see similar comparison comments in video games as well…young folks today lament racing game physics but have no idea so many mechanics came from Pole Position and Outrun and such.
As they say, ignorance is not a defense.. LOL

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,367 Posts
I've resigned myself to the apparent reality that there's a ton of folks that look at cars way more casually and abstractly than I do...

The S650 is so similar in profile and design-language to the S550, that I'm still scratching my head as to why this looks-like-Camaro-thing hasn't been "a thing" since 2015.

And I also wonder how most people tell the difference between a Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickup truck. They're far-more-similar to each other than the new Mustang is to a Camaro.
I've noticed it since the last gen, so the resemblance isn't a new thing for me. But with the 7th gen being introduced, people are gonna be talking more about it. I would guess most would say the same thing about the 6th gen as well.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts