Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on FB from Shelby America showing several upgrades being done to several shelby's, but I'm confused.

My apologies because while I have always considered my knowledge about shelby models very good, but I guess I'm starting to get confused.

This is one of the pics they posted. So is this a pic of a GT350 with some upgrades, or is this a 2020 GT500 converted into a Super Snake (or is there even such an option yet)? The hood is really throwing me, along with the bumper and fender vents just behind the front wheels.

2020 ss.jpg

Thanks to anyone for helping educate me.

·
Registered
2012 GT500
6 Posts
The filename of the pic says 2020 ss.jpg so if Shelby American's FB team correctly labeled their pics this is the 2020 Super Snake. But the front bumper isn't painted black which makes it seem like a GT350. I'd say its a GT350 if anything.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,433 Posts
It looks like a GT350 front clip, but also looks like it lacks the large gill slits on the front fenders just aft of the wheel well! There's something there, but it doesn't look like the GT350 front fenders. Kind of a bastardization!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The filename of the pic says 2020 ss.jpg so if Shelby American's FB team correctly labeled their pics this is the 2020 Super Snake. But the front bumper isn't painted black which makes it seem like a GT350. I'd say its a GT350 if anything.
I saved the pic that way so I could easily find it when I made the post

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Is it just their own designed super snake?

New Super Snake
Yes, Dave is correct! When the GT500 line took a hiatus after 2014, Shelby needed to get creative to keep the revenue flowing... they came out with the “Super Snake,” which is different from a “GT500 Super Snake.” These “Super Snakes” are a modified Mustang GT 5.0.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Definitely had me confused.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,325 Posts
Very Cool looking car - Goose are you saying a Mustang GT 5.0 can deliver 825 Ponies! Incredible!
Brochure link - Click Here
I’ve seen 5.0s on Facebook and YouTube making north of 1000 hp. The Coyote is no joke. This is the architecture for the 5.2 Voodoo and Predator variants.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,325 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,325 Posts
Sorry, was driving. Wide body front fenders and metal hood standard, 305 on all four corners. I’ll have to do some reading.
Personally, for $125k, I would rather have a CFTP GT500 from Ford.

Reactions: Carmine_GT500

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Bob. How does this differ from their Super Snake...? Seems very similar to me.
The cars are similar. The SE is limited to 50 vehicles vs 500 for the SS. The SE comes standard with 825hp, the SS 710hp with options to increase it. As far as cosmetics, the SE has wide body aluminum fenders with vents. Both cars have the option of full wide body kits.

SAI seems to be cranking out the cars at their Vegas facility. I see weekly updates and the performance shop is jam packed as is the warehouse. Great to see the brand live on!

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Does the Shelby variant have a manual or DCT only? LOL! Three cheers for SA staying solvent during the last few years!
Using the GT as a base gives them great flexibility. For a fee, they will gladly install a 6-speed manual in the 2020 GT500

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,325 Posts
Using the GT as a base gives them great flexibility. For a fee, they will gladly install a 6-speed manual in the 2020 GT500
That would ruin the “epic-ness” of the car!

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
That would ruin the “epic-ness” of the car!
Just like some people installing automatics in the old GT500 ... some people will like the idea of installing a manual transmission in a new GT500 ..... that's why we're called "car nuts". To each their own according to their personal tastes and budgets. :)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,325 Posts
Just like some people installing automatics in the old GT500 ... some people will like the idea of installing a manual transmission in a new GT500 ..... that's why we're called "car nuts". To each their own according to their personal tastes and budgets. :)
The difference being the entire car is setup around the DCT tranny. It is integral in the entire package, which is quite different than an automatic transmission.

Reactions: 03reptile
1 - 20 of 28 Posts