Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we'd just finished up the final numbers on the new GEN II-R atop Christine's 65,000 mile engine when I noticed a small imbalance somewhere. We heard a little belt noise so thought we could have had a bad bearing on an idler somewhere. We swapped all the idlers, checked the VMP HD tensioner and everything was good. The next logical step was to look and see if the balancer was ok. It has 2 years on it with a LOT of power and abuse and frankly the balancer should have been rebuilt a year ago.

Sure as heck, the hub was cracked and it wallowed the key. The key on these guys are a Woodruff style, with a 180 degree arc on the shaft side and flat on top.

No snout cracks. Do I have it removed and re-keyed? Do I upgrade to a Cobra Jet crank and just be done? Well....no. At 65k, it makes no sense to do that and not fortify her innards. Plus, this gave us a great idea!

I can't tell you how many times a week I hear something like "I want 800 hp", followed closely by "she gives me the go ahead for $$ a couple of times a year for mods".

How about if we told you exactly what parts you could buy as the budget permits, squirrel them away until you're ready, and then show you how to rebuild your own engine and make it REALLY ready to be an 800+ rwhp monster? That's exactly what we're going to do. Here's a sneak preview:

Remove engine

Give it a bath, hone the cyls, line hone, balance the rotating assembly, deck the surfaces and send it back home.
We'll have them do a 3 angle valve job while it's there.

Re-assemble with nifty new parts. The parts list will be spelled out in the build and you'll see how you can actually do this on a budget.
In our particular case, we'll be heavily fortifying it in anticipation of upcoming power adders.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,415 Posts
Once again, BJ and VMP shows anybody who wants to know, a simple roadmap to follow for the given horsepower you want to achieve.....it doesn't get any better or easier than that!! :)

(......unless, of course, they would give us the winning lottery numbers!!!......:laugh:)

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You s***. Gonna be a Shelbyfeat mod? >:)

Sure......you pay the bill and we'll be there two weeks in advance. :)

You're gonna love this program. The bottom line is that some of these cars are now 10 years old. The original cars (nor, frankly, any of them) are not designed to deal with the pressures of 900 crank horsepower when it had 500-660 stock. So, CAN they make 800 tire? Yes. More than once? Not safely, regardless of the power adder.

Only because we use Christine as a R and D tool has she remained alive. She delivered 867rwhp on the GEN II-R before it spun the balancer. Fortunately it spun rather than broke and take out the entire valvetrain.

More to come.

bj

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sir. We'll double key this one. It's a Cobra Jet. They're single key on the drag car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Sure......you pay the bill and we'll be there two weeks in advance. :)

You're gonna love this program. The bottom line is that some of these cars are now 10 years old. The original cars (nor, frankly, any of them) are not designed to deal with the pressures of 900 crank horsepower when it had 500-660 stock. So, CAN they make 800 tire? Yes. More than once? Not safely, regardless of the power adder.

Only because we use Christine as a R and D tool has she remained alive. She delivered 867rwhp on the GEN II-R before it spun the balancer. Fortunately it spun rather than broke and take out the entire valvetrain.

More to come.

bj
I'm all ears...:cool:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Are you only honing the cylinders or boring it to the next oversize? Any intention of putting a bigger cam as part of the rebuild?

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you only honing the cylinders or boring it to the next oversize? Any intention of putting a bigger cam as part of the rebuild?
Hone, line hone, balance the rotating assembly, cams. Getting ready for a future toy.

bj

·
Banned
9,881 Posts
Hone, line hone, balance the rotating assembly, cams. Getting ready for a future toy.

bj
Shooting for 1000hp?:surprise:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for sharing BJ!
Are you checking tolerances as you go? We all know this thing has seen some stress.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for sharing BJ!
Are you checking tolerances as you go? We all know this thing has seen some stress.
The crank is new, the rods...bearings...pistons...rings are new. Bores have simply been honed. Entire assembly will be line honed with tolerances checked.

It'll be set up "slightly" loose for race purposes.

Good question.

bj

1 - 19 of 19 Posts