Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking around and i heard that the JLT CAI with X3 tuner is the best way to go. But then I heard that adding a 2.6 pulley with idler can increase horsepower for a few more hundred dollars. I understand that there have been alot of issues with the metco pully install on the gt500 and that VMP now offers a stock pulley with thier own removal tool that helps avoid problems and provides easy removal and installation. The only problem is that VMP does not offer a JLT intake on thier site but they do have the FRPP 113 CAI. Is there a big difference in HP gains between these 2 CAIs? I've never added any mods on my 09 GT500 so this is a first for me and im not a car savy type person. I am looking to go with a package combo that can provide easy installation with given instructions on Pulley Removal and install and at the same time, receive a custom tune through who ever I buy these products.

So what do you guys recommend I should go with?

Thank
Greg

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
All of the aftermarket intakes make about the same power, it's just what look you want. I would stay away from K&Ns, and am very happy with the C&L. Justin at VMP was great to deal with and has instructions on the website for pulley removal. I did mine first shot no problems.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am looking at the exact same upgrade as you. After a little research JLT CAI, VMP "stock look" 2.6/2.65 pulley + 90mm idler + pulley puller, and a tune (dunno who I want for the tune yet) sound like the best options.

Ive heard really great things about Jon Lund as a tuner.

I was looking for an all inclusive power package upgrade that had the aforementioned components but the pulley/puller was usually a metco. Their puller sounds like it does a bad job and their pulley isnt stock look.

You might have to get a CAI then buy separately your pulley/tune package.

check these out

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_12

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-shelby-gt500-power-packages-c-2052_2728

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Well it seems like i made up my mind and decided that i 'll purchase the JLT intake seperately with the 2.6 pulley, idler, tool and custom tune through Justin @ vmptuning. I'll be running @ 93 octane and 91 secondary. I noticed also that there are no instructions other than the Grabber Post in other forums.

Does anyone know where Justin posted the instructions for the pulley removal?

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the info. Well it seems like i made up my mind and decided that i 'll purchase the JLT intake seperately with the 2.6 pulley, idler, tool and custom tune through Justin @ vmptuning. I'll be running @ 93 octane and 91 secondary. I noticed also that there are no instructions other than the Grabber Post in other forums.

Does anyone know where Justin posted the instructions for the pulley removal?

Thanks
Go to his home page, I believe install instructions located in his forum. Do a search there and locate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would assume its on the website or it will get sent with the goodies!

I briefly looked over grabbers instructions and they looked pretty legit...Id use that as a supplemental instruction because it has pics too (I think).

http://www.stangmafia.com/forum/f60/stage-ii-vmp-2-65-pulley-90mm-idler-hold-baby-3711/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43404&hl

those might be the same...might help ya install. I will be using this resource for when I do mine!

Let me know how you like everything you ordered and how the installation goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe Evo sends you 2 custom tunes on your X3 by default and a third optional 100 octane tune for about 100 bucks more. I'm guessing you also have the option to buy the puller for a 100 bucks at VMP but im not sure if it will work with the metco from Evo. Unless you want use thier puller, i would look around to check if the VMP puller indeed works with the metco 2.6.

The thing that's good about this kit is that you can leave the 2.6 pulley on if you decide to go with the TVS supercharger later. I am unsure if the 2.6 pulley will work on the KB or Whipple but if anyone disagrees please let me know.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm going to go with Evolution Performance. Stage 2 at least.
Very nice Convert, enjoy her to the fullest! and Welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts