Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you shelby owners out their.I just got my 09' gt500 it is vapor mist with black stripes and I love it. I wan't to modify my car a little bit with out voiding my factory waranty.what is th best exhaust set up,would it be wise to add headers and a x pipe? Basically I need to know everything that can be done to the car and still retain my waranty.Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Buy the FR1-SVT from Ford Racing. This includes low restriction mufflers, cold air 113mm intake and a calibrator. I have had bad luck installing headers that leak and just are a pain to install with other cars in the past. These items are very easy to install yourself. Next, go to a Ford 3.73 gear which can be installed at your local dealer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is the model # for one of the exhaust systems for FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts). I personally have the SGT exhaust from FRPP and I love the sound and just like any of the FRPP exhaust set-ups they are very easily installed..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy the FR1-SVT from Ford Racing. This includes low restriction mufflers, cold air 113mm intake and a calibrator. I have had bad luck installing headers that leak and just are a pain to install with other cars in the past. These items are very easy to install yourself. Next, go to a Ford 3.73 gear which can be installed at your local dealer.
i am not a very good mechanic.can i buy all this stuff at the dealership and can i upgrade the suspention and still be covered under waranty?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i am not a very good mechanic.can i buy all this stuff at the dealership and can i upgrade the suspention and still be covered under waranty?
should be able to, along with the FRPP handling package (comes with warranty). Visit their website at fordracingperformanceparts.com. Also do some research in the threads here and at teamshelby.com. There's alot of data on this stuff. Then decide what you really want. Vehicle warranty is not an issue, just so long as vehicle "modification" isn't the cause of any component failure. Talk with your dealership as well. Get a good repor with them. Most don't have an issue with mods.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Before you modify you're throttle body check the smog laws in you're state. Headders on thei car will take ALL day to install and the HP gains are minimal it is best to go with a cold air intake with a tune. You can to with the one from Ford whitch comes with a CARB sticker. Or you could go with JLT CAI. whitch doesn't have a sticker so if you need to smog then you have to return to stock.. Changing the gears in this car is best handled by a professional. It isn't that expensive ether around $500.
Some folks are just changing the mufflers to the KR type from Ford they are very nice but a little pricey but it seems to me that mufflers are a little over the top in price. I still got stock ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you modify you're throttle body check the smog laws in you're state. Headders on thei car will take ALL day to install and the HP gains are minimal it is best to go with a cold air intake with a tune. You can to with the one from Ford whitch comes with a CARB sticker. Or you could go with JLT CAI. whitch doesn't have a sticker so if you need to smog then you have to return to stock.. Changing the gears in this car is best handled by a professional. It isn't that expensive ether around $500.* Some folks are just changing the mufflers to the KR type from Ford they are very nice but a little pricey but it seems to me that mufflers are a little over the top in price. I still got stock ones.
What type of mufflers are used on the KR? I did a little reserch and I think that I am going with the F3 handling pack,FR1 power upgrade not sure what muffler kit to go with the 50 or the 49 state.what do you think about the supercharged upgrade kit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the model # for one of the exhaust systems for FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts). I personally have the SGT exhaust from FRPP and I love the sound and just like any of the FRPP exhaust set-ups they are very easily installed..
what are sgt exhaust?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just went thru this with my car last week. Thru my research a good combination I came up with was the Ford FR Super Pack which is the New "M-6066-SGT" blower kit. This blower through its new design "TVS Rotors" runs at much cooler intake air temperature than some of the other units on the market, especially if running at higher RPM for extended periods of time as in road racing. You will also need to change your lower pulley with this supercharger upgrade with part "M-6312-SVT" . Next was the Ford Racing FR3Handling Pack "M-2007-FR3SVT". This seemed like a good compromise on the suspension that was still fairly comfortable to drive on the street. Add to this the 3.73:1 gear set "M-4209-F373N", short throw shifter "M7210-B, Shift Knob and Stick "M-7213-K, and Axel back Exhaust "M-5230-SGT" and you should have a good package to start with that will also have a warranty. If you are looking for a good place to buy Ford Racing parts try Five Star Ford in Scottsdale, AZ. They seem interested in extending fair pricing on Ford racing parts and can ship anywhere. Their phone number is (800) 866-1520, ask for Max Zuckerberg. And no, before someone asks, I don't work there or have any affiliation with them. I was just looking for a place to buy Ford Racing parts that wouldn't rip me a new one like my local dealer. As you will soon see there is an ocean of parts and upgrades for this car, so as someone said earlier, shop around and do your research before spending your hard earned cash. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What type of mufflers are used on the KR? I did a little reserch and I think that I am going with the F3 handling pack,FR1 power upgrade not sure what muffler kit to go with the 50 or the 49 state.what do you think about the supercharged upgrade kit?
The FR1 includes the 50 state M-5230-SVT1 mufflers; I understand they are not much louder than stock. I prefer mufflers that are a little louder so I'm waiting for the KR mufflers (M-5230-S). You can always purchase the cold-air kit with tune (M-9603-SVT07) and select a different muffler. The TVS (M-6066-SGT) supercharger is a nice power adder that is more efficient than the stock M122 supercharger. It is a rather expensive mod though. The TVS SC already comes with the CAI and tune so if you go with it, you won't need the M-9603-SVT07 CAI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also recommend the Ford Racing short-throw shifter, makes rowing through the gears much more enjoyable.http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9783I also have the stainless steel handle and white ball knob.http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10260
I think that i have decided on the supercharger upgrade,f3 handling pack, and short throw shifter.If i get the shifter handle and nob does the factory shifter boot fit properly thanks.and what do you think about my setup?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think that i have decided on the supercharger upgrade,f3 handling pack, and short throw shifter.If i get the shifter handle and nob does the factory shifter boot fit properly thanks.and what do you think about my setup?
That should be a very nice series of mods to your car. Are you going to replace the stock mufflers? The stock boot works great with the FR shifter handle. See post #5 & 6 on this thread for a picture of mine along with some install instructions.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955&highlight=shifter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to round out the discussion, I have installed a full Bassani exhaust system. Including long tube headers, high flow cats and straight through mufflers (race mufflers in their lingo). I also have a C&L CAI with a Diablo Sport tuner. I recently had a 2.6in super charger pulley and tensioner installed (a day before I initiated action on the clutch TSB). My dealer wanted to charge me 6hrs of labor to move the headers for the TSB. But later informed me that Ford would compensate them for the time. The point here is that MY dealer has not made an issue of the mods as far as warranty work. That is not to say YOURS won't. Discuss your intentions with your service representative and maybe have them do some of the work (the exhaust system install is rated for 10hrs by a skilled tech and a lift is almost a necessity). I took the cheaper route and regretted it. The short story here is...SOME dealers realize that this is a high performance vehicle and Mustangs are prime for modification. Feel them out and don't be afraid to be straight up with them. Also realize that dealers are just that, they thrive on negotiation. Take advantage of it. P.S. long tube headers will create false trouble codes. You will need a custom tuner to make adjustments for them. One more thing, the exhaust system sounds incredible (to me) though it is scary loud at WOT. BTW, I have heard the KR and the sound is like music.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Go to WWW.fordracing.com and you will find the KR mufflers there
SGT stands for Shelby GT

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Just to round out the discussion, I have installed a full Bassani exhaust system. Including long tube headers, high flow cats and straight through mufflers (race mufflers in their lingo). I also have a C&L CAI with a Diablo Sport tuner. I recently had a 2.6in super charger pulley and tensioner installed (a day before I initiated action on the clutch TSB). My dealer wanted to charge me 6hrs of labor to move the headers for the TSB. But later informed me that Ford would compensate them for the time. The point here is that MY dealer has not made an issue of the mods as far as warranty work. That is not to say YOURS won't. Discuss your intentions with your service representative and maybe have them do some of the work (the exhaust system install is rated for 10hrs by a skilled tech and a lift is almost a necessity). I took the cheaper route and regretted it. The short story here is...SOME dealers realize that this is a high performance vehicle and Mustangs are prime for modification. Feel them out and don't be afraid to be straight up with them. Also realize that dealers are just that, they thrive on negotiation. Take advantage of it. P.S. long tube headers will create false trouble codes. You will need a custom tuner to make adjustments for them. One more thing, the exhaust system sounds incredible (to me) though it is scary loud at WOT. BTW, I have heard the KR and the sound is like music.

Wow. To get the dealer to work with the Bassani's is a big plus. I installed my own and they were a bitch. I also dropped the tranny for upgrades and your dealer could get away with just dropping tubes 2 thru 4 on the passenger side. No need to touch the drivers side. Be sure he uses copper silicone on the four tube collector or you will have exhaust leaks. He has to clean the tubes and collector well before installing the copper silicone. Good luck and the Bassani's do sound great and I have scared a few old ladies as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts