Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is very difficult to harness all of our HP in the GT500 due to rear wheel drive, has anyone thought of or did a conversion to an AWD system. Can it be done? Again don’t kill me just a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First you'd have to raise the engine, dry sump it, add a transfer case, add either a solid front axle or find a suitable IFS axle out of a rear engined 4WD car . . . and so many things I'm missing. Probably have to add about 400 lbs worth of hardware. Just go buy a FUGLY new Nissan GT-R and be money ahead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First you'd have to raise the engine, dry sump it, add a transfer case, add either a solid front axle or find a suitable IFS axle out of a rear engined 4WD car . . . and so many things I'm missing. Probably have to add about 400 lbs worth of hardware. Just go buy a FUGLY new Nissan GT-R and be money ahead.
Rice Burner….. never happen. I thought it could be a solution, an expensive one, for the weight distribution and traction issues with the GT500's.
More weight okay... I guess. You can compensate that with more power via pulley swap and other bolt on's. But think of the way the car will launch and handle.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Nothing is impossible, but you can't be serious, or are you? Guess it would work in the upcoming winter watch:thinkerg:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing is impossible, but you can't be serious, or are you? Guess it would work in the upcoming snow fall.:thinkerg:
I hope and I intend on keeping my car for a long, like you said nothing is impossible. Not so much for the snow factor, more for the launch, speed and handling. And I know in some cars with factory equipment you can switch AWD to 2WD.
I will tell you what brings this up I was racing against a buddy of mine, I went from 1st to 2nd really hard and the next thing I new I was heading down the road sideways. Not a good thing. I love the car to death but unfortunately this car needs more balanced traction. Am I looking to do this now... no but I just want to see if anyone has seen or hear somone do it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I hope and I intend on keeping my car for a long, like you said nothing is impossible. Not so much for the snow factor, more for the launch, speed and handling. And I know in some cars with factory equipment you can switch AWD to 2WD.
I will tell you what brings this up I was racing against a buddy of mine, I went from 1st to 2nd really hard and the next thing I new I was heading down the road sideways. Not a good thing. I love the car to death but unfortunately this car needs more balanced traction. Am I looking to do this now... no but I just want to see if anyone has seen or hear somone do it.
Or a better driver. Sorry but AWD is not the answer. Choose your poison and the streets of NYC or the Suburbs are not the answer. Believe you me!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I guess anything could be done with enough money... I've always wanted to see a solid rear wheel as wide as the car...lol. Or even if you had mini axles and had two extra tires under the car. Not practical, but would be interesting to see what it would do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rice Burner….. never happen.
Don't be so closed-minded. The GT-R can hand us our ass in every conceivable way. Nothing short of 'supercars' can really contend all-around with them.

Sadly, they have fallen prey to an awful situation regarding their transmissions and $20,000 non-warrantable repairs!!!

I only buy American, but the GT-R was the first to turn my head once I sat in one. I was very close to ordering one, and now with the severe tranny issue, I'm glad that I didn't... but regardless, the car is simply amazing no matter where it was built.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I heard about the tranny issue over new years break, and am glad I didn't get that into them to get one. It is kind of funny the way it was set up though, when you're sitting on the outside looking in, at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts