Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much power the stock engine/rods/cranks can handle? I'm not how these things are measured other than as anecdotal stories of failed parts after Hot-Rodding goes awry.

How about the Driveshaft, Transmission & Clutch, Rear End Too while we're at it?

Finally, assuming you go for the gusto with 25+ lbs of boost (not sure how this this will affect things besides the increased HP generated).

And while we're at it, how about adding NO2?

I think the root of question is, other than the obvious things I'd need to do to hit X amount of RWHP, what else am I going to need to beef up to prevent major disaster...

TD

·
Registered
45 Posts
And while we're at it, how about adding NO2?
If you plan on owning the car past 20k miles, stay away from Nitrous.

I remember reading somewhere that the I beam rods on the gt500 are rated for 600hp. I am no totally sure of this but I remember the number because it surprised me for it was a considerably lower rating that the2003-2004 Cobra H beams which are rated for 750hp.

Can anyone confirm this???

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you plan on owning the car past 20k miles, stay away from Nitrous.

I remember reading somewhere that the I beam rods on the gt500 are rated for 600hp. I am no totally sure of this but I remember the number because it surprised me for it was a considerably lower rating that the2003-2004 Cobra H beams which are rated for 750hp.

Can anyone confirm this???
NO PLANS for NO2.. (after all a man's got to get to work... and this is my daily driver).

I was considering a KB or Whipple upgrade, but I'm for sure going to do a CAI + tune, and new mufflers + 3.73 gears - may want to do more after that, but thought it would be something to build on. Again - afraid to kill the motor or connecting rod / etc...

TD

·
Registered
45 Posts
NO PLANS for NO2.. (after all a man's got to get to work... and this is my daily driver).

I was considering a KB or Whipple upgrade, but I'm for sure going to do a CAI + tune, and new mufflers + 3.73 gears - may want to do more after that, but thought it would be something to build on. Again - afraid to kill the motor or connecting rod / etc...

TD
I agree 100%. Nos aint bad for weekend track cars, but not for your daily driver. Your head is in the right place with the mods though.

I feel that it will only take time, and a couple blown motors, to truly find out what the shelbys can handle in terms of power.

What Ford says the car can handle in theory, may be different from what people find the car can handle in practice. The clutch issues that many gt500owners are running into (including my pops), is evidence of this.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree 100%. Nos aint bad for weekend track cars, but not for your daily driver. Your head is in the right place with the mods though.

I feel that it will only take time, and a couple blown motors, to truly find out what the shelbys can handle in terms of power.

What Ford says the car can handle in theory, may be different from what people find the car can handle in practice. The clutch issues that many gt500owners are running into (including my pops), is evidence of this.
Don't want to knock on wood yet, but still holding my breath on the clutch. Since it IS my daily driver, and you can only go so fast in "rush hour", I may be further from seeing the real problems than others have been...

Still be nice to know if anyone has blown parts, etc and at what HP... (recall a blown Tranny housing after a KB stage 3 on a dyno run posted at You Tube)

TD

·
Registered
45 Posts
/\ /\ +1

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have not heard of anyone damaging the motor yet! and there are quite a few with over 800rwhp. I see stock axles being a week link if you are going to go to the track with slicks! I would also change the 8.8 limited slip if running slicks too, those spider gears seem to break too. Might want to put a spool/locker in there insted! Well if you have done all that and haven't changed the driveshaft, well then that is what you are going to break next. We all already know that the stock rear suspension pretty much sucks (wheel hop) once you start to mod your car. Might want to think about that as well!

JJ

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm pretty sure this engine is pretty stout. I don't think Shelby Autos would offer a 700+ hp Super Snake if the internals couldn't handle it.

The drive line is another story. If you plan on any significant mods, change out the drive line.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm pretty sure this engine is pretty stout. I don't think Shelby Autos would offer a 700+ hp Super Snake if the internals couldn't handle it.

The drive line is another story. If you plan on any significant mods, change out the drive line.
I agree Rick, but remember that version comes without a warranty.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I agree Rick, but remember that version comes without a warranty.:rolleyes:
Yeah, I know. But if Super Snakes start blowing up all over, you know the heat will come back to Shelby. Even without a warranty, Shelby Autos has a legal responsibility to delivery a product that performs as represented.

Of course, it also depends on how you drive it. You can have a 800 hp Shelby that lasts longer than a 500 hp Shelby if you do nothing but slam the go-pedal to the floor on the 500 hp version.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Of course, it also depends on how you drive it. You can have a 800 hp Shelby that lasts longer than a 500 hp Shelby if you do nothing but slam the go-pedal to the floor on the 500 hp version.
:eek: crap. :eek:

i guess i don't slam it... its more of a... firm press.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
There is an obvious reason the 700+ horespower SS does not come with a warranty. The same reason if we were to bring back a regular GT500 with a blown motor and Kenne Belle installed. It will not be covered under warranty. There is just so much these motors and drive tranes can take, and yes how much and how often is the key as well. I have a hard time babying a 500hp, I'll be damned if I will baby a 700+ version. Owning a garage queen is not my idea of owning a Shelby. Drive it the way it was meant to be driven is how I will treat my Shelby and if improvements are necessary to accomplish this, then so be it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I know. But if Super Snakes start blowing up all over, you know the heat will come back to Shelby. Even without a warranty, Shelby Autos has a legal responsibility to delivery a product that performs as represented.
Ehh emm, Can anyone say clutch issues?? The stock trans on the Shelby is covered and it has been found to have some serious issues. Just because a component has a warranty doesn’t guarantee that it will perform the way it is intended to.

I agree with you Prez that the manufacturer has the responsibility to deliver a product that performs as represented, but remember that track driving, performance is considered "off road driving". No manufacturer would consider themselves libel for damages or faults as a result of such driving or abuse.

Just my 2 cents…

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be damned if I will baby a 700+ version. Owning a garage queen is not my idea of owning a Shelby. Drive it the way it was meant to be driven is how I will treat my Shelby and if improvements are necessary to accomplish this, then so be it.

+1!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Ehh emm, Can anyone say clutch issues?? The stock trans on the Shelby is covered and it has been found to have some serious issues. Just because a component has a warranty doesn’t guarantee that it will perform the way it is intended to.

I agree with you Prez that the manufacturer has the responsibility to deliver a product that performs as represented, but remember that track driving, performance is considered "off road driving". No manufacturer would consider themselves libel for damages or faults as a result of such driving or abuse.

Just my 2 cents…
Agreed. Track driving is a whole other deal. The abuse that track driving puts on a car is way beyond everyday "spirited" driving.

I'll take the 5th on the "clutch issues" comment. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
I thought is how we were supposed to drive it!!!!!!:rolleyes:
JJ

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted see the smiley dude shifting again!

Yea - I hear all the good points that've been made.

Still - I too like to push the "go pedal" to the floor - and would like more performance but there is only so far I want to go with a everyday driver..

I guess that as time passes, there will be more data to come of the clutch issues, and premature engine and component failure from "upgrades" (the new term for hot rodding).

That being said - has anyone trimmed their floor panel so the go pedal can be pushed even further down ( lowering the floor)? SpinalTap did this with their amplifiers that go all the way " to eleven" :D

TD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
...SpinalTap did this with their amplifiers that go all the way " to eleven" :D

TD

- Does that mean it's louder?
- Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten.

- Why don't you just make ten louder?
- ...These go to eleven.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts