Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting hood struts on the car so I wanted to clean up the radiator cover before painting it.

I'm not a pro. just a dummy who would rather figure out how to do something myself instead of paying for it.

tools needed:
regular soldering iron
piece of plastic
lighter

looked around and noticed that my garage shelves were a similar plastic. so I cut a piece out and trimmed it to fit:

then I put some tape over the top side to hold it in place and flipped it over. I applied a little pressure so that the filler piece was sitting a high by comparison and tacked it in place.

next take your soldering iron and run it right down the gap of the two pieces. create a channel but you're also bonding them together at the seam. then you can go from the outside and fold that lip back into the channel. basically blend them together by melting the two. flip it over and do the same thing on the top side. then use a DA sander or something and sand the whole area down smooth. you'll have some low spots after this step

last step was to use the piece I cut out as a filler plastic and melt it into the low spots. it was a combination of the soldering iron and dragging the plastic off into the gaps as well as a lighter and melting it to fall onto the cover. sand, melt, blend, sand. took a couple touch up rounds to finish it out. then sand the whole cover and inspect your work.

get some adhesion promoter, prime and paint.

Mike

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,696 Posts
Excellent DIY work!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I'm not a pro. just a dummy who would rather figure out how to do something myself instead of paying for it.

looked around and noticed that my garage shelves were a similar plastic. so I cut a piece out and trimmed it to fit:
That right there is why I almost NEVER throw any project leftovers away...
You just never know when you could 're-purpose' it...and maybe save a few $$$ in the process.

My Daddy used to call that 'Horse Sense'.
It's a crying shame so FEW folks have/use it anymore.

Good Job, Mike!

:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,417 Posts
Nicely done. Most would be afraid to do that, and I think a few ot those who tried would have to buy another radiator cover. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It was a fun little project that no one will probably notice. But I like the little touches

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
It was an interesting project. I'm glad you posted it and I liked the accompanying pictures. My only complaint is your bonding the pieces together. Do you ever bond the pieces separately?!

I would be afraid to tackle a project like that for fear I would screw up the radiator cover.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Excellent work and cajones to attempt this task! dont forget to post the finished cover.

Im surprised at the closeness of blended results on the top of welded area.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That right there is why I almost NEVER throw any project leftovers away...
You just never know when you could 're-purpose' it...and maybe save a few $$$ in the process.

My Daddy used to call that 'Horse Sense'.
It's a crying shame so FEW folks have/use it anymore.

Good Job, Mike!

:surprise:

Should see my garage.... I don't think I'll ever have a use for half the sht laying around from leftover projects! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts