Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
Joined
·
30,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to the end of my bottom restoration project that has been consuming me for 6 months now. I had disassembled the rear brakes to strip and paint the calipers. I ran into a hiccup when putting them back together. There is a spring for the emergency brake under considerable pressure that I removed from each side during disassembly. I tried to reinstall the springs and after many failed attempts, I did some research. Most places simply advised to NOT remove the spring and if you do remove the spring, just go buy replacement calipers with the spring already installed. I wanted to keep the original calipers on the car, so I dug deeper. I hoped for a special tool to buy to make it easy... no such luck. There wasn’t anything compatible with a Mustang that I found. I did see various discussions of different techniques, but one guy said he used zip ties (there were no pics). I ended up compressing the springs in my bench top vise. I then used 2 smaller zip ties (a large one would be in the way). My first attempt didn’t work since I had the zip connectors on the topside which proved to be in the way. I flipped the ties on the second go and it friggin’ worked! One side (pictured below) ended up with the plastic zip ties wedged and stuck behind the spring. My solution was a propane torch, which burned off the plastic. I also used a leather glove to protect my hand in case it let loose and eye protection as well.

Anyway, sharing what I learned...

195245

195246

195247

195248
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Ran through this on my 95 and it was an unbelievable pain in the ass. Locking needle nose pliers, a big flat blade screwdriver to pry, and copious cuss words got the job done.
 

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
Joined
·
30,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imagine my horror today when I discovered I had routed the emergency brake lines through the wrong hole in the floor! I had a couple of clips that I wasn’t sure where they went. I was researching and found the clips on a video. The clips secure the parking brake cables where they enter the floor. The bolt hole was by a different hole than where I routed the damn cables! So, I got to remove the motha-lovin e-brake springs again today (as well as the driveshaft) and reroute the cables the proper way. Fortunately most things are easier the second time around and I was able to secure the springs once again using my zip tie method.

Now to bleed the brakes to see if they hold pressure...!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top