Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and the possibilities of me getting a GT500 are pretty high. I wanted an 03 cobra but the one I had my eyes on got sold so I moved on to the GT500. I know I'm going to hear crap for this but I'm only 15 years old and this is the car my Dad wants to buy for me. I wanted to know how much everyone paid so I can see if the deal my Dad's getting on the one at the dealership sounds fair. It's a 2008, Vapor Silver with Black Stripes. MSRP $45,005 but they added on a $15,000 market adjustment. My Dad got them down to $49,000. Does this sounds right? What did you pay?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
$49,000 sounds like a deal.

I paid around $50,000.

Be careful out there, the car is a handful til you really get use to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd rather not even comment on this one.... A 15 year old with a 500hp car..:bangin: Not that I wanna knock anyone but...IMO that's not the smartest move.:grim: .Maybe it's just me :confused: Again, just my $.02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd rather not even comment on this one.... A 15 year old with a 500hp car..:bangin: Not that I wanna knock anyone but...IMO that's not the smartest move.:grim: . Again, just my $.02
I respect your opinion, I guess my dad trusts me alot, and I don't give him a reason not too. After all my school is only 3 miles away

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd rather not even comment on this one.... A 15 year old with a 500hp car..:bangin: Not that I wanna knock anyone but...IMO that's not the smartest move.:grim: . Again, just my $.02
I was gonna say somewhat the same thing. My daughter and son actually think that they will be able to drive our Shelby when they get their license.
My answer ... I dont think so!
To much car for a teenager (or even adults at times ) to handle fresh from getting their license.Just my 2 cents also. Be careful if you get it. Respect it!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was gonna say somewhat the same thing. My daughter and son actually think that they will be able to drive our Shelby when they get their license. My answer ... I dont think so! To much car for a teenager (or even adults at times ) to handle fresh from getting their license.Just my 2 cents also. Be careful if you get it. Respect it!!!!!
Once again, I understand what you all mean. Believe me, I'll respect it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
what would the insurance be for a such a young driver. If you could find a company to insure him. As a father of a 17 yo daughter i would never put a car like this in the hands of an inexperience driver. They just buried 4 teens in CT, driving over a 100mph on a back road with a suburu WR40. Car left the road and killed all 4. I'm sure the father that bought this high performance car thought his son was responsible. I'm sure the boy driving thought he was reponsible. 3 other kids paid for that mistake with their lives. I don't believe this thread is real. I don't think any parent could be that irresponsible.

LLoyd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what would the insurance be for a such a young driver. If you could find a company to insure him. As a father of a 17 yo daughter i would never put a car like this in the hands of an inexperience driver. They just buried 4 teens in CT, driving over a 100mph on a back road with a suburu WR40. Car left the road and killed all 4. I'm sure the father that bought this high performance car thought his son was responsible. I'm sure the boy driving thought he was reponsible. 3 other kids paid for that mistake with their lives. I don't believe this thread is real. I don't think any parent could be that irresponsible.

LLoyd
What's not to believe? My Dad's paying for the car under the company so the insurance is lowered alot and I'm real. I have a myspace and everything =P
No need to bring my Dad into this either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What's not to believe? My Dad's paying for the car under the company so the insurance is lowered alot and I'm real. I have a myspace and everything =P
No need to bring my Dad into this either.
Insurance on a commercial policy is more. No multi car discounts either. No way in hell my 15 yo son is driving my 500 or GT unless its with me in the passenger seat on a rare occasion. It's not that I can't afford the car for him, it's that I don't want to see him dead. Sounds like bs to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insurance on a commercial policy is more. No multi car discounts either. No way in hell my 15 yo son is driving my 500 or GT unless its with me in the passenger seat on a rare occasion. It's not that I can't afford the car for him, it's that I don't want to see him dead. Sounds like bs to me.
Are you being serious? I just asked what you guys paid and your bringing this crap into it that I already understand the consequences of. This is true and I'm just asking a question.

·
Registered
662 Posts
15 and this car? Your Dad's a dumbass!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Why does Nick Hogan come to mind? And he is a "professional" driver, to boot.

The price is a good one for a major metro area. The pics look to be from CA or FL.

So, yes the price is good. Can't say as much for the intention, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why does Nick Hogan come to mind? And he is a "professional" driver, to boot.

The price is a good one for a major metro area. The pics look to be from CA or FL.

So, yes the price is good. Can't say as much for the intention, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
You were correct, I live in Florida. Thanks though!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Paid $46,500 for my '07. I can tell you this. I have been a gearhead since I was a freshman in high school. If I had a car like this back then, its a 100% certainty I would have been dead before graduation day. You have to look really hard here in Texas, but I know of 2 for sale at sticker. All others are 5 to 10 thousand over sticker. Wait just a little longer and then deal. A few more months and they are going to be doing good just to get sticker. Dealers just can't get over the prices the '07s were bringing when they first came out. You just can't convince most of these salesman that those days are long gone when they can get thousands over sticker. The salesman want to tell you how rare these cars are, but every dealer in the country has one or more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
15 and 500hp yikes not to good of a mix why not a normal 05+08 Mustang GT im pretty sure you can get a awesome one dude a cobra as a first car i dont think its a good idear... wheels are wheels man..your father might trust you but can you trust your self when you see a open road your not gonna punch it? i say you gain more trust from you father and tell him its to fast its gonna be better in the long run im telling you im only 19 i've been There before believe it or not i had this V6 lose control a few times and it has no were Near Close to the HP the cobra has but what ever good luck and watch your self..

·
Registered
806 Posts
And your an *******
Son don't get mad at these people their just speaking with Honesty. Simple fact is these cars a stupid fast. Just like the old Corvette ZR1s back in the day. I HAD a cousin that got one after his father died and left him lots of money. It took him all of 24 hours to be in a casket. He was 26yo.

Your father should buy this car for himself and he should get you a Mustang GT. Then use the 500 for you and him to mod and go to the track with until you can handle this thing. Then in a few years maybe let you have it. Build the Mustang GT and learn about cars first. That’s the way to gain respect for the car and from others who see you can handle the responsibility.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Are you being serious? I just asked what you guys paid and your bringing this crap into it that I already understand the consequences of. This is true and I'm just asking a question.
Future, I think you'll find that most adults don't simply answer the question at hand, they look at the entire situation. You'll learn that out in the working world after you graduate, this is what the world expects of you. As adults in most professional fields, we are trained to look at situations broadly.

I paid sticker for my car, so there's your answer.

However, the above fact is irrelevant. Why?
1) I bought mine two years ago, and things have changed.
2) I had an edge due to a lot of investigation
3) You've failed to mention financing, which may be part of the deal. If your dealership gets you to finance at a high rate, they can afford to sell you the car for less and make money on the financing.
4) You may live in a different state, and the supply/demand is different in certain areas of the country
5) I was able to order mine exactly the way I wanted rather than buying one on the lot...perhaps this has exactly what you want...not sure...but that's worth something to me.

So as you can see, you won't often get a simple one line answer from us because we are thinking about the broader situation.

Many of the people on this forum have kids and love their kids, and worry about other people's kids, and don't like to see strife in ANY family...so they voice their concerns.

Perhaps you can have your dad read this thread. If after reading all of this he still feels that he's doing the "right" thing, then at least he's making a more informed decision.

Are you the oldest child? In other words, has he let any other kids drive a very powerful car? Does he have a history with powerful cars...does he know how quickly they can "get away" from you? How is he legally/ethically buying it under the business...will it be used primarily for business use? Does he plan to send you to a high-performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bob Bondurant prior to driving this car?

I wish you good luck, but wanted to explain why IMO you're not getting short succinct responses.

And for the record, I don't have kids and I'm in my mid '40s. The first powerful car I owned was a '67 Mustang with a 289 2-barrel, which was like driving a VW Beetle compared to the GT500....be careful out there.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
505 Posts
I respect your opinion, I guess my dad trusts me alot, and I don't give him a reason not too. After all my school is only 3 miles away
Trust is a whole different ballgame when you are talking about the GT500! Trust is one thing, but when you are talking about taking a 15 yr old inexperienced driver and letting them drive a powerful car like this, I cant see it! I have to wonder. I am 41 years old and the car scares me! I worry everytime my husband goes out with it ! As I have mentioned we have an 11 year old and a 6 year old. My husband and I have stated that when we are gone, the car will be left to them, however, the stipulation will be that they will not drive it until they have passed a high performance driving course to handle the car! I dont think I or anyone on here is attacking you, just being concerned! We already have these cars in our possesion and know what they can do. Also, 3 miles or not, all it takes is 1 mile or less to get out of control.........Be safe......

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got mind for sticker in maroone delray ford fla $48.346 good luck on the car. it a 2008 blue with white with nav.:bandit: :bandit:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts