Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my tune from Evolution for my new TVS 2.3 with stock pulley.
I went from 8psi with the stock blower to 15psi of boost with the TVS?

Is this normal?
I didn't know it would go this high!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any though?

I am surprised about how much boost am I getting now.
I wanted to put the 2.6 pulley but now I am afraid that it'll be too much.

What would you do?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ricardo, the Steggy ported systems with 2.2 pulleys on stock SC's have been reported to get 18psi! I would think, IMO, that your TVS with a 2.6 would get near that. Just mathematically, i went from 8 to 14 with dropping the pulley down .4" so perhaps you are already over the 15psi that the stock gauge reads......

Not trying to pirate your thread, but for anyone runing higher boost than 15psi, is there a replacement boost gauge for the dash that could handle say, 18-22-psi?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ricardo, the Steggy ported systems with 2.2 pulleys on stock SC's have been reported to get 18psi! I would think, IMO, that your TVS with a 2.6 would get near that. Just mathematically, i went from 8 to 14 with dropping the pulley down .4" so perhaps you are already over the 15psi that the stock gauge reads......

Not trying to pirate your thread, but for anyone runing higher boost than 15psi, is there a replacement boost gauge for the dash that could handle say, 18-22-psi?
How much boost can it handle with 93 octane.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds about right.

With proper tuning and not exceeding 6200 rpm 19-20 psi is still reliable.

So if I understand, a 2.6 pulley should get me to 19psi?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more like 17 to 18. I run a TVS w/2.6 and my dyno in Dec was at 17.5lbs boost. After installing headers and catted x, im in the 15-16 range. But with more hp. You'll be fine. All depends on the tune.

That's good to know.
I know that the stock injectors are 52lbs and I was worried that 18psi would be too much.

I'll order the 2.6 pulley, the spark plugs and the idler.
I'll see where it takes me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I get 11-13 PSI depending on ambient conditions. That's about the norm I've heard for a TVS with stock pulley. If you're getting 15 good for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I get 11-13 PSI depending on ambient conditions. That's about the norm I've heard for a TVS with stock pulley. If you're getting 15 good for you.
Sounds like the difference between the Ford tune and the Evo one; the tune in the ProCal is uber conservative....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And don't forget the air quality in Montreal is much cooler and denser than the air in Las Vegas.
Well before receiving the Evolution tune, I was getting 12-13psi maximum with the Pro-Cal tune.

·
Registered
933 Posts
And don't forget the air quality in Montreal is much cooler and denser than the air in Las Vegas.
This is my geography lesson for the day.

Not sure where you got Montreal from as Vette Killer is located in Fort McMurray which is in northern Alberta at roughly at 56 degrees north and 111 degrees west and has an elevation of 1200 feet above sea level. Montreal on the other hand is located 2450 miles east/southeast at 45 degrees north and 73 degrees west and at an elevation of around 250 feet above sea level. Maybe I missed a thread about Montreal, but in case I didn't, those are the numbers that you would need to compare against Las Vegas located at 36 degrees north and 115 degrees west with an elevation of 2,000 feet above sea level.

FYI - Fort McMurray, Alberta is 700 miles closer to Las Vegas, Nevada then it is to Montreal, Quebec.

Arbour88

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my geography lesson for the day.

Not sure where you got Montreal from as Vette Killer is located in Fort McMurray which is in northern Alberta at roughly at 56 degrees north and 111 degrees west and has an elevation of 1200 feet above sea level. Montreal on the other hand is located 2450 miles east/southeast at 45 degrees north and 73 degrees west and at an elevation of around 250 feet above sea level. Maybe I missed a thread about Montreal, but in case I didn't, those are the numbers that you would need to compare against Las Vegas located at 36 degrees north and 115 degrees west with an elevation of 2,000 feet above sea level.

FYI - Fort McMurray, Alberta is 700 miles closer to Las Vegas, Nevada then it is to Montreal, Quebec.

Arbour88
I am guessing he was talking about me since I am from Montreal...

·
Registered
29 Posts
stock should be around 8 to 10 cant remember but, but, tvs 2.3 should of been 13.5 tops i thought, thats what mine was, I just bought the 2.6 pully and am told to expect 1 to 3 lbs of boost wich again im told is very safe both for boost and temp and rpm of tvs. Still should work with 93 octane also im told. go for it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like the difference between the Ford tune and the Evo one; the tune in the ProCal is uber conservative....
Can a custom tune increase boost? I thought any given supercharger with a stock pulley is only capable of X amount of boost, depending on air density, etc. Yes, the Pro Cal is conservative. If I can get 15 I'm definitely getting a custom tune.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Can a custom tune increase boost? I thought any given supercharger with a stock pulley is only capable of X amount of boost, depending on air density, etc. Yes, the Pro Cal is conservative. If I can get 15 I'm definitely getting a custom tune.
I also believed that a tune can do so much. I didn't know that by adjusting timming curve and MAF table you could change the Load and Boost.
It's not a huge change but 13psi to 15psi is hardly unnoticable :)

the next logical step would be to go with 2.6 pulley

·
Registered
29 Posts
having played with a grand national, alot afects boost. Definately timing, im not sure why but i know when i first bought my FRPP supercharger kit it came with open element air cleaner & custom tune, so i put it on (air cleaner) with out installing the tune and my boost droped due to the timing being pulled back because i leaned the car out and im guesing detonation was occuring but it definately pulled the boost back to like 5LBS. Once the tune was installed and proper fuel mix it was right up to 13.5. And wow, what a HP gain, just with the filter and tune. Then obv. i installed the SC and again, WOW. iM putting my 2.6 pulley on tonite and installing JDM custonm tune, I will let you know how it feels. No benefit of dyno here:( . Everyone agrees though, get a good custom tune, thru someone like evo or jdm, fords jsut to conservative, good but theres plenty of room for more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
having played with a grand national, alot afects boost. Definately timing, im not sure why but i know when i first bought my FRPP supercharger kit it came with open element air cleaner & custom tune, so i put it on (air cleaner) with out installing the tune and my boost droped due to the timing being pulled back because i leaned the car out and im guesing detonation was occuring but it definately pulled the boost back to like 5LBS. Once the tune was installed and proper fuel mix it was right up to 13.5. And wow, what a HP gain, just with the filter and tune. Then obv. i installed the SC and again, WOW. iM putting my 2.6 pulley on tonite and installing JDM custonm tune, I will let you know how it feels. No benefit of dyno here:( . Everyone agrees though, get a good custom tune, thru someone like evo or jdm, fords jsut to conservative, good but theres plenty of room for more.

Let us know what you get with the new pulley.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts