Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I missed this post when it was originally posted. Reading through and looking at the pictures, I think raising it would not only be beneficial for working on the car, clearance on the road but I also think it would look even better.

Do you still have the adjustable Rears?

Btw, wheels are still stunning!

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes, I/m using these on the rear with a 9" coil over spring and a coil over helper spring. It's set at it's lowest point, so I have a lot of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Yes, I/m using these on the rear with a 9" coil over spring and a coil over helper spring. It's set at it's lowest point, so I have a lot of adjustment.

I was wondering as you gave me a ton of info on them. I bought the but sold them to a friend only because I got a good deal on a full set of springs.

Raise up the rear slightly for some rake to see how it looks. I know that doesn’t fix all your problems but it may look great.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I thought I'd update this. I've been adjusting and driving and letting the car settle between adjustments because this thing is still a PITA to get on ramps. Seems my driver side is taking more adjustment to level the car side to side and I'm out of adjustment on that side. Soooo, I'm going to go with a longer spring in a lower spring rate. The #380 springs have proven to be a bit much in the ride quality department, even with double adjustable struts. They may be fine for a part-time track car, but not really my preference for a road car. I'm going to go with a #300 spring that's 2" longer (8" to 10"). That spring compressed should be a little more than 1" longer, but I have a 2" range of adjustment on the strut collars, so it should be a better fit all the way around. That's still 40% more spring rate than the stock PP springs. The #380s were twice that increase. Along with that, I have a set of #225 springs, I'll substitute with the #250 springs I have out back.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
I thought I'd update this. I've been adjusting and driving and letting the car settle between adjustments because this thing is still a PITA to get on ramps. Seems my driver side is taking more adjustment to level the car side to side and I'm out of adjustment on that side. Soooo, I'm going to go with a longer spring in a lower spring rate. The #380 springs have proven to be a bit much in the ride quality department, even with double adjustable struts. They may be fine for a part-time track car, but not really my preference for a road car. I'm going to go with a #300 spring that's 2" longer (8" to 10"). That spring compressed should be a little more than 1" longer, but I have a 2" range of adjustment on the strut collars, so it should be a better fit all the way around. That's still 40% more spring rate than the stock PP springs. The #380s were twice that increase. Along with that, I have a set of #225 springs, I'll substitute with the #250 springs I have out back.
Thanks for the update John. Sorry this mod is being a pain. I’m sure you are tired of swapping suspension parts!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
John _ think your car looks Great and I do like those wheels. I did some measuring on my car a few weeks ago and realized that my car measures the same

I have the same adjusters as you have shown above on the rear of my 2008 and then the Eibach coilover assy's on the front. My rear's have more adjustment downward but my fronts are at the bottom of their adjustment. A few weeks ago I decided to measure the distance from the center of the fender lip to the ground, assuming the front of my car was lower than the rear. To my surprise, I am exactly the same front and rear on all four corners, I thought for sure the front was lower and in the picture below, IMO, it appears to be lower, but it is an illusion, they are the same distance/height front and rear......

The only way I could lower my car further in the front (without modding the Eibach coilovers) would be to remove the taller 275 tires and replace with the shorter 255's.

R

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the update John. Sorry this mod is being a pain. I’m sure you are tired of swapping suspension parts!
That's hot rodding. If it bothered me, I'd sell it, but I enjoy tinkering. I just don't enjoy tinkering when the heat index is 100+ and that's summer here. I'm sure DFW is just as bad, but cooler temps should get her sooner or later. I bought these parts used, so I might have spec'd the springs rates differently. At least now I know.

I have the same adjusters as you have shown above on the rear of my 2008 and then the Eibach coilover assy's on the front. My rear's have more adjustment downward but my fronts are at the bottom of their adjustment. A few weeks ago I decided to measure the distance from the center of the fender lip to the ground, assuming the front of my car was lower than the rear. To my surprise, I am exactly the same front and rear on all four corners, I thought for sure the front was lower and in the picture below, IMO, it appears to be lower, but it is an illusion, they are the same distance/height front and rear......
Robert, you posted some numbers for the front springs before, I believe. What are they? I know how to decipher them and curious as to the specs they're using for those. I had a similar experience on measuring front and back. However, I may need to check my tire pressure.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
That's hot rodding. If it bothered me, I'd sell it, but I enjoy tinkering. I just don't enjoy tinkering when the heat index is 100+ and that's summer here. I'm sure DFW is just as bad, but cooler temps should get her sooner or later. I bought these parts used, so I might have spec'd the springs rates differently. At least now I know.
I couldn’t do it. I have been running my garage AC on full blast while I’ve been working on my car project the last few weeks. It’s about 62 degrees in there in the morning and it creeps up to 75 degrees late in the day. I’m ready for the triple digits to be done for the year.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
John _ think your car looks Great and I do like those wheels. I did some measuring on my car a few weeks ago and realized that my car measures the same

R
Robert, you posted some numbers for the front springs before, I believe. What are they? I know how to decipher them and curious as to the specs they're using for those. I had a similar experience on measuring front and back. However, I may need to check my tire pressure.
[/QUOTE]

I would have to research the Eibach stuff again, but I believe the 35115 kit is correct for my 2008, it what Shelby installed, some list the 35105 as GT500, but I believe that is Mustang GT. I talked to Eibach tech support a few years ago and I believe they have a different part number for the 2011+ alum. block GT500. I think there was also some -XXX numbers on the springs after the 35115

R

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Are you going to be able to get it aligned? I went with ford L springs and even with MMR plates it is adjusted almost to the max just to get to -1.
Given the horrible weight balance on the GT500 I will gladly sacrifice some tire wear for more front end grip. I ran more than -1 on my car and it felt better for it.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Are you going to be able to get it aligned? I went with ford L springs and even with MMR plates it is adjusted almost to the max just to get to -1.
As long as left and right sides are reasonably close to one another, and I can set toe, I'm okay. But it would need to come up higher to get to factory spec even with the caster/camber plate.

I couldn’t do it. I have been running my garage AC on full blast while I’ve been working on my car project the last few weeks. It’s about 62 degrees in there in the morning and it creeps up to 75 degrees late in the day. I’m ready for the triple digits to be done for the year.
I'm going to start looking for a new place next year. Now that I'm not a working stiff, I don't really need to live in town. I need something like you've built or a bigger, better equipped shop where I can do my work and a space for a few more projects I would like to take on. I'm going to the office this morning , just to take a break.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,014 Posts
I'm going to start looking for a new place next year. Now that I'm not a working stiff, I don't really need to live in town. I need something like you've built or a bigger, better equipped shop where I can do my work and a space for a few more projects I would like to take on.
It took a LONG time to find a place with what I thought would be enough room.
After a year or so of 'looking' I 'settled' after looking by building a new place here in Arizona for retirement. It wasn't near big enough. Lived there for a bit over four years all the while searching.
We finally happened on this place up near Sedona, we were just in the right place at the right time to score it. A decent house with an oversized attached garage and a detached garage that could have nine cars parked in it, more with the lift. All on a sizable area of land, surrounded by 8 Million Acres of National Forrest ! Property here around the Sedona area IS at a premium, there is no doubt about that. We just got lucky!!!

What I am trying to say is... don't get in a hurry and do not 'compromise' as to what you want/believe you need.
The detached here was somewhat unfinished, but, it had a couple of large doors, two large cooling units and in side was 18 feet high. The previous owner was big into RV/Motorhome and travel. He even built an Airplane in this garage. We had it insulated, sheet rocked, textured and painted even wired with a lot of extra wall outlets it does LOOK better, but mine IS a working garage, a full shop. And WELL worth the search and wait.

Take your time, IF you can, to find the right fit and feel, The wait and search will be worth it.
Good luck in finding what you want.

Reactions: Catmonkey

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Below are the settings for my car shown above^^^ with 275/35 front tires and oem 2008 strut mounts on the Eibach coilovers that are adjusted as low as they will go............

^^^^No CC plates and I do have my front tires tilted in slightly at the top to gain a little front end traction in turns, but not far enough to get out of spec. tire wear. The alignment could probably be tweeked a little more, but the Ford tech told me that I would not see any abnormal tire wear with those settings, and I do not.

R

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Take your time, IF you can, to find the right fit and feel, The wait and search will be worth it.
It's going to take a lot to check all my boxes, so I'm thinking I'll have to find land suited to me that I'll have to build on. But you never know. Our area has been hard hit with the oil and gas industry, and some of the more remote properties have pretty good discounts. We just need to see what's out there. My wife has been pushing me toward this because she sees how hard this is for me with the current setup. So it's just a matter of mentally preparing myself to start dealing with purchasing something and selling this one and how to get the clutter from point A to point B. We've been in this house for 33 years and I just know moving is going to be a huge undertaking.

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
John,

You may want to look at some property with an existing structure. That will save you some costs.
Already with an electrical service, water, sewer and possibly gas.
As I said, we got very lucky. The home is nice. We are on a DEEP great well, a bit over 450', an oversized septic, 1600 gal tank with hundreds of feet of laterals (for just the two of us will never be an issue) and the best is the solar that exceeds 100% of our usage.
No water bill
No waste water fees
No electrical costs. We are on the electrical grid but actually sell power back to the utility, APS.
We do have natural gas but about the highest bill IIRC was maybe $30-40. 65 G Hot water tank Gas, and Gas dyer and Range.
And we are in Unincorporated Yavapai County, yet 10 minutes from town. No city nonsense or HOA's to have to deal with. <<< That IS a biggie here !!!!

IF you can find a 'property' with the utility's all ready on it you will save a bunch and less head-aches. Possibly a "house" that could be temporarily live in while what you want could be built then demo the older existing?

Just something to consider and think about

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
IF you can find a 'property' with the utility's all ready on it you will save a bunch and less head-aches. Possibly a "house" that could be temporarily live in while what you want could be built then demo the older existing?

Just something to consider and think about
All good points. Our parish (county equivalent) is pretty heavily populated, so getting utilities will probably not be a big headache, but I'm realizing that moving outside of the city gets me off the fiber backbone the City developed along with its internet and cable systems. So yeah, it's a lot to ponder. There are too smaller municipalities north of us that don't have the density south of town exhibits, plus the elevation is higher. Thinking about all this is making me ill already.

I had considered finding a warehouse in an industrial area that would service that need, but I'd worry about it being broken into. I'd rather have a place I could keep eyes on. Us old guys need our periodic naps, too.

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
All I can say is, get out of the city you will NOT miss it when retired.

In fact it is a great liberating feeling to just pee anywhere you want to when outside !

(you may want to exclude the garden area; we had corn, 2-3 kinds of peppers, 2-3 types of squash, onions, a couple types of 'maters... etc. )

Reactions: BLKwRD14

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,703 Posts
So hard to be patient, but I'm in the same boat. Sold the house, moving into nice rental with an AWFUL garage... Properties around here are just outrageous and the few we have put offers on fell through, driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,703 Posts
Since we've already completely derailed this thread... Ken, how is the septic system? I like to dump all sorts of things you're not supposed to down the drain, so I'm hesitant there, but most larger pieces of property are going to force me to go septic.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts