Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, sorry for spamming up this board, but I'm restless. I've been in military school for about 5-6 months at this point, and I'm about to go home and see my car again. My 2012 came with what looks like an MBRP Race catback, and I just ordered Shelby (American Racing) long tubes, catless x-pipe, 2"x3". I'm dying to find out how loud it will be and how good the tone will be. As I'm sure you all know, it's very hard to find specific exhaust setups, or even general information, on our cars. Anyone have any idea how it will sound? I'll find information about similar headers and it can range anywhere from "not too loud" to "way too loud", I'm not too sure what that means. For reference, I drove my mom's 370z around quite a bit with a Tomei Expreme Ti catback on it and that was just barely qualifying as 'loud' to me. Thanks in advance y'all, I'll be sure to drop a video of it when I'm back home.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,863 Posts
I'd guess is way too loud, but I'm an old guy that went through that phase of my life 40 years ago. However, there was no drone, just NASCAR loud. I have a built 5.8 with cams which tend to make it even louder. I have ARH long tubes and a catless H. I had Borla Tourings, which are Borla's tamest offering, and put the stock mufflers back on it until I could find a cure. It wasn't that bad a idle and cruise, but half throttle and it starts to get obnoxious and escalates beyond with each additional angle of the throttle plates. My solution was to put 18" bottle resonators in the over axle pipes. The Borla's are back on, and it's still a little too loud, but I don't think I'm causing ears to bleed that are in close proximity. I pity driver's with open windows that are next to me as I accelerate, even at part throttle.

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess is way too loud, but I'm an old guy that went through that phase of my life 40 years ago. However, there was no drone, just NASCAR loud. I have a built 5.8 with cams which tend to make it even louder. I have ARH long tubes and a catless H. I had Borla Tourings, which are Borla's tamest offering, and put the stock mufflers back on it until I could find a cure. It wasn't that bad a idle and cruise, but half throttle and it starts to get obnoxious and escalates beyond with each additional angle of the throttle plates. My solution was to put 18" bottle resonators in the over axle pipes. The Borla's are back on, and it's still a little too loud, but I don't think I'm causing ears to bleed that are in close proximity. I pity driver's with open windows that are next to me as I accelerate, even at part throttle.
Haha that's what I like to hear. I'm 19 so I'm dead in that phase of my life. Most of the idle videos I've seen have it way too quiet, but I've never really heard one open up. I'm excited.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,902 Posts
I’m in my 30s.. I have no cats.. Longtubes and SLPs

it’s ****ing ridiculous .. which means I’ve realized I’m going through that phase of my life where I now want quieter
That combo has GOT to be freak’n ridiculous! My oldest has SLP Loudmouths on his 2011 5.0 with no other exhaust mods. It is waaaay too loud in my opinion. My youngest has Roush Extremes on his 2010 4.6 and the sound is perfect! I like a loud exhaust setup within reason. My Borla-S 2011 GT500 and my stock (selectable) 2020 GT500 have a great note and volume! Anything more would be too much in my book.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That combo has GOT to be freak’n ridiculous! My oldest has SLP Loudmouths on his 2011 5.0 with no other exhaust mods. It is waaaay too loud in my opinion. My youngest has Roush Extremes on his 2010 4.6 and the sound is perfect! I like a loud exhaust setup within reason. My Borla-S 2011 GT500 and my stock (selectable) 2020 GT500 have a great note and volume! Anything more would be too much in my book.
honeslty it is. 2200 RPMs is absolutely stupid loud for what RPM it is.

I don’t even go WOT anymore. Can hear no blower whine anymore..

I’ll be swapping to corsas at some point

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,902 Posts
honeslty it is. 2200 RPMs is absolutely stupid loud for what RPM it is.

I don’t even go WOT anymore. Can hear no blower whine anymore..

I’ll be swapping to corsas at some point
If you have no cats with headers, try your OEM mufflers if you still have them.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m in my 30s.. I have no cats.. Longtubes and SLPs

it’s ****ing ridiculous .. which means I’ve realized I’m going through that phase of my life where I now want quieter
Hahaha now you got me wondering how much louder SLPs can be over MBRP race. I've never truly driven a loud car, but I've been given a ride and raced against my friend's 2015 5.0 with Borla ATAKs and catless longtubes, and honestly wouldn't mind being as loud as that.

·
Premium Member
2008 GT500 Coupe 2015 Jeep SRT
1,861 Posts
If you want loud, the Bassani 3" system is on the ridiculous side. Not sure if they make it for the 2012, but I had it on my '08 before my headers and felt like I was going to jail every time a cop got behind me... Part# 5407R5 Bassani Exhaust - Bassani.com

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want loud, the Bassani 3" system is on the ridiculous side. Not sure if they make it for the 2012, but I had it on my '08 before my headers and felt like I was going to jail every time a cop got behind me... Part# 5407R5 Bassani Exhaust - Bassani.com
I appreciate it. I'd look more into it but I went bankrupt after the headers and supporting mods. That honestly looks a lot like the MBRP race system I already have; both being 3" straight off the midpipe to really tiny mufflers. Not too loud with the stock midpipe and headers, but I'm ecstatic to see how it'll sound with straight, hardcore long tubes.

·
Premium Member
2007 Ford GT500. 1992 Ford F250
2,266 Posts
I love loud in my car. Thought I would stay with my KR mufflers for a few months and then put my Borla tourings back on That’s over two years ago

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love loud in my car. Thought I would stay with my KR mufflers for a few months and then put my Borla tourings back on That’s over two years ago
Oh yeah I know I'll love it as long as it doesn't drone too bad on the highway. If it's somehow not loud enough I'll just get a straight muffler delete, but I feel like the MBRPs will make it good enough and keep a nice tone as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.